U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,250 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has tried pizza that was cooked in a wood fired oven. If so, why is it so different than normal ovens..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,552 times
Reputation: 10
wood fired ovens (used for napoletana pizza) are different because they MUST be set to at least 900 degrees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
 
457 posts, read 453,763 times
Reputation: 787
I'm curious what type of wood fired oven one would "set".

I used to have a wood fired oven in my back yard. You would start the fire about 2 in the afternoon, and watch and stoke it pretty continuously to have it up to 700F for pizza at 6pm. At 700F individual pizzas bake in about 2 minutes. The crust is extremely crisp on the outside, and the toppings roast, rather than warm. Veggies, in particular, are extremely good out of a wood fired pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,552 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I'm curious what type of wood fired oven one would "set".

I used to have a wood fired oven in my back yard. You would start the fire about 2 in the afternoon, and watch and stoke it pretty continuously to have it up to 700F for pizza at 6pm. At 700F individual pizzas bake in about 2 minutes. The crust is extremely crisp on the outside, and the toppings roast, rather than warm. Veggies, in particular, are extremely good out of a wood fired pizza.
I didn't literally mean "set", sorry! I just mean the wood fired ovens, used for napoletana pizza in particular, should be at 900 degrees.. and it cooks within 60-90 seconds. I guess 700 degrees cooks in 2 minutes. And yes - I agree about the veggies. You had one of these ovens in your backyard?! That's pretty awesome. What happened to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,744 times
Reputation: 10
Wood fired oven is typically heated only once during the firing stage - the wood is inside the oven chamber. Immediately after a firing, the oven temperature may easily exceed 1000 degrees.. No other oven will produce the same type of pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonlan View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried pizza that was cooked in a wood fired oven. If so, why is it so different than normal ovens..?
Are you wanting to try this type of pizza? Cause if you are, I'm pretty sure there's no place in Charlotte for ya! Sorry..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
 
328 posts, read 531,593 times
Reputation: 284
I think that Brixx (on East and Uptown) is wood fired pizza. And it's good and relatively inexpensive. Try it - you can totally tell the difference from regular pizza. (Although for regular pizza, Selwyn pub is surprisingly good too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,619 posts, read 1,275,292 times
Reputation: 2179
tv chef Jamie Oliver from the UK , has a brick dome-shaped wood-fired oven in his garden where he bakes pizzas etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
 
457 posts, read 453,763 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AralynJ View Post
I didn't literally mean "set", sorry! I just mean the wood fired ovens, used for napoletana pizza in particular, should be at 900 degrees.. and it cooks within 60-90 seconds. I guess 700 degrees cooks in 2 minutes. And yes - I agree about the veggies. You had one of these ovens in your backyard?! That's pretty awesome. What happened to it?
It's still in the backyard of the house I sold in California. It was fun for many years, but I think I'm over making my own wood fired stuff for now.

You can order the inside of the oven (shaped like an igloo) on line. Then you build around it. It is heavy and requires quite the masonry base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,076 times
Reputation: 10
Wood pizza oven don't use oil and ordinary pizza use a lot of oil. There are many benefits of pizza made in wood fired oven:
Higher cooking temperature.
Faster cooking time.
Better crust, Unique flavour, crispier toppings.
Owning a wood fired pizza oven has its own benefits. It is efficient as resulting in healthier ingredients and better tasting pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top