Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times

Advertisements

lol, this is in no reference to you XNYgirl, but Myrtle Beach is the arm pit of NC/SC beaches. It's nothing but a tourist trap. Having said that, there are some nice things to do there like Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach, but I would certainly not stay there. I recommend Ocean Isle, Cherry Grove, North Myrtle, Surfside, Garden City, Murrell's Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawleys Island in that vicinity of beaches. These areas are MUCH nicer than Myrtle Beach, but still close enough to MB if you want to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,601 times
Cherry Grove is where my family stays. Much lower key than "THE" beach.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
If you go to Old Salem swing by Clemmons (just west of Winston-Salem) and check out The Festival of Lights (http://www.forsyth.cc/tanglewood/fol_info.aspx - broken link) in Tanglewood Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Also, don't miss an opportunity to visit Old Salem (Winston Salem, about an hour and a half from Charlotte).

These are some of the things going on during the time you will be visiting:

December 22-24
Sophie and the Ginger Cookies Puppet Show, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm & 3:30pm. Old Salem Museums & Gardens-MESDA, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Join Sophie on a journey following three exotic strangers who are in search of the Christ Child. 336.721.7350

December 24
Christmas Eve Candlelight Lovefeast, 11:30am, 2:30pm, 5pm and 7:45pm. Home Moravian Church, 529 South Church Street, Winston-Salem. Share in this 18th century Moravian Christmas tradition featuring handmade, lighted beeswax candles and Christmas hymns in the heart of Old Salem. 336.722.6171, Free, www.homemoravian.org.

December 26-27
Tannenberg Organ Concert, 12-1pm. James A. Gray, Jr. Auditorium, Old Salem Visitor Center, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Located at the Old Salem Visitor Center. 336.721.7350, Free, Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home.

December 27-28
Peter and the Wolf, 12pm & 2pm. Old Salem Museums & Gardens, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Performed by the Carolina Chamber Symphony Players. 336.721.7350, $, Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home.

For more on Old Salem:
Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,601 times
Between this post and seeing all the decorations out in the department stores, I'm starting to get in the Christmas spirit!!! LOL

Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM

9 posts, read 50,369 times
Default Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Between this post and seeing all the decorations out in the department stores, I'm starting to get in the Christmas spirit!!! LOL
I second that. I am one of those people who start listening to Christmas music on November 1st (Less than 8 days!). I love the season. Hopefully, the weather will cool down a lot over the next week so it really begins to feel like the holidays are coming.

In response to mlodonnell's question, I agree with the people who mentioned McAndenville, Biltmore, and Tanglewood. McAndenville is only about 15 miles from the middle of Charlotte, making it very convenient. Biltmore and Tanglewood are a lot further out (about 2 hours west of Charlotte for Biltmore and about an hour and a half north of Charlotte for Tanglewood). FYI though, Biltmore is a little pricey. It's $45/person on a Sunday-Friday and $55/person on Saturday. Fortunately, children under 10 are admitted for free. If you do go, I'd recommend a non-weekend day and to buy tickets in advance. You'll avoid the crowds this way. Tanglewood is also a great time. They have the biggest Christmas light display I've ever seen - obviously, this is a nighttime trip. Have fun regardless of what you do!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 AM

27 posts, read 76,721 times
Thank you so much for the ideas! We're coming from Wisconsin, so looking forward to having a warmer Christmas at the least.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
wow Wisconsin this will seem like the Bahamas lol.

When more places start posting their holiday events probably after Halloween I definite will post here and this thread will be link in the thread that is a sticky at the top.

There is loads of Christmas tree farms in the mountains if you want a very fresh tree.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,120 times
Any holiday in Charlotte seems to be fabulous! There is a TON to do here around the holidays. Try to see the singing Christmas Tree or the Christmas Bears!

Speaking of holidays... We have come to love Halloween since moving here. Everyone seems to go crazy decorating and we all have so much fun taking the kids out trick-or-treating!!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM

373 posts, read 1,471,701 times
DITTO for Tanglewood. You can drive through. Last year we did the hayride through with hot cider and cookies. It was great! They also have horse drawn carriage rides but we had more than 4 people.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Friday 21st
Trans Siberian Orchestra will be peforming at Cricket Arena
Band plays Christmas carols in a rock opera format
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Official Site (http://www.trans-siberian.com/intro.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte