U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times

Advertisements

It appears that efforts to build the Red Line Commuter Rail to Mooresville are evolving into something called the Red Line Regional Rail System. Their scope has the system running by 2017.

There is a website for more information.

Red Line Regional Rail | Regional economic development initiative in the Iredell County/Mecklenburg County Region of North Carolina

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
Did they finally got the Iredell commission on board , and I hope they go beond Mt Mourne to downtown Mooresville as I like that historic downtown.
It would be smart thing to do.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
^I don't know. I've seen some recent articles in the Huntersville paper's relative to this, but I have to admit that I did not read them. I was surprised about this website however as a link to it has been posted on the CATS Transit Planning page. I don't remember it being there before so this is apparently something new.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,231,296 times
Most of the data on that attachment was posted a year or more ago and that was before Iredell County took the high road and said NO. Also, Norfolk Southern officially came out against the project within the last year as well.

This is still one of those deals that snakes like Thunberg will keep trying to shove through as time moves on. Hopefully Iredell County and N-S will have the fortitude to remain against it.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM

80 posts, read 143,611 times
The linked website is not new, and it is out of date. Most of the timeline dates were set before the Norfolk Southern railroad expressed concern over the viability of the entire concept early in 2012, stating that it could "take years" to do the feasibility studies necessary. I believe the process is now halfway through step 1 of phase 3, i.e., plans reviewed but not adopted, with the ball in Norfolk Southern's court.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 7,744,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Most of the data on that attachment was posted a year or more ago and that was before Iredell County took the high road and said NO. Also, Norfolk Southern officially came out against the project within the last year as well.

This is still one of those deals that snakes like Thunberg will keep trying to shove through as time moves on. Hopefully Iredell County and N-S will have the fortitude to remain against it.
Just curious, why are you against it? Simply because of the cost?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM

11,773 posts, read 9,382,506 times
Dang... I was hoping this was new info. I have no reason to go up to Davidson but it would be nice to hop on a train to get there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM

7,185 posts, read 11,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Just curious, why are you against it? Simply because of the cost?
Without getting into too much detail, I just don't believe in spending hundreds of millions of dollars to move a minute number of people with a limited operating schedule and only one set of rails. It looks like an ongoing gov't subsidy waiting to happen (subsidizing fares and operational costs to keep the rail in business).

Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,281,319 times
Quote:
Without getting into too much detail, I just don't believe in spending hundreds of millions of dollars to move a minute number of people with a limited operating schedule and only one set of rails. It looks like an ongoing gov't subsidy waiting to happen (subsidizing fares and operational costs to keep the rail in business).
All transpo projects require subsidy, especially roads.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM

489 posts, read 729,982 times
Quote:
Without this, Charlotte will fall behind other similar cities. Cheaper to do it now, instead of in 20-30 years, when it could be a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte