Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I might do that. Now that push is coming to shove, I might not want to leave. I could stay for two more months if I sell a few thousand in stocks. That's a big risk of course, given the job market here.
Push came to shove when you turned 18 years old....don't sell anything, go get a job and cut back on expenses....go to Lowes, Home Depot, Mall, cell phone store, used cars....something. Get some type of gainful employment (part-time, etc)...right now you're in a bad state of mind...employment of any kind can sometimes reset the psyche, plus you'll meet new people during the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Most people who want to move to Charlotte don't spend the bulk of their cash running around the country before "moving" here to try and get a job.

He is lucky to have shelter in his parents house... some parents wouldn't be so kind. When we moved from Brooklyn to Southport we had 2 to 3 months before we got the "what are your plans"

...and this was at a vacation home that was empty. LOL.

Lol, parents purchased us brand new luggage for graduation.....a subtle hint if you will.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, parents purchased us brand new luggage for graduation.....a subtle hint if you will.
Crazy thing is my Father in Law works in Nuclear for Duke. He was transferred from Raleigh to Charlotte when Progress and Duke merged. He rents a room from us since he is on a short contract and will retire in a year.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM

602 posts, read 574,142 times
You've been here less than 3.5 weeks.
Personally, I would say give it some more time before making a decision.
Also, move to Plaza-Midwood/Southend/Dilworth/Elizabeth/Myers Park/Cherry/Noda/Cotswold/Midtown

Last edited by PolymerMan; 02-25-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
right now you've got the "scared-ys"...I've been thru it before. You're homesick for the familiar, you've only been there less than a month and running out of cash Did you seriously think you would find a really good job in a month? How much research into the job market did you really do? I agree that going out and finding a part time job would probably really help you mentally and financially at this point. Give it at least another 6 months, you need to get thru a summer to see if you can really stand the heat/humidity anyway before making a final decision.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
right now you've got the "scared-ys"...I've been thru it before. You're homesick for the familiar, you've only been there less than a month and running out of cash Did you seriously think you would find a really good job in a month? How much research into the job market did you really do? I agree that going out and finding a part time job would probably really help you mentally and financially at this point. Give it at least another 6 months, you need to get thru a summer to see if you can really stand the heat/humidity anyway before making a final decision.
For sure, we had a guy from the New England/CT area who'd swear its a mere stones throw from Charlotte to the sun.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
not only did he think he could do it in a month...

he spent all his cash before he got to Charlotte and expected the Queen City to save him....

The Queen deserves better than that.

He could dig in and get a part time but I don't know if he can humble himself. He actually thought he would show up and get a 6 figure gig in 3 weeks.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
I don't see the point in senselessly continuing to kick a person when he is down and unsure what to do about it. He expressed his opinion about his misgivings in staying here and he is entitled to it.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
For sure, we had a guy from the New England/CT area who'd swear its a mere stones throw from Charlotte to the sun.
haha...who are you referring to?

Now wait, let me clarify..Florida is a stones throw from the sun. Charlotte is more like a driver and a half a sand wedge to the sun. Besides this guy always complained about the cold up north on the CT forum.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Wow.

Enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte