U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,574,051 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am relocating to charlotte for work, right now I live in providence ri. I am a single male in my late twenties.

So... I have been reading the forum trying to get a sense of what living in NC will be like. Can you guys help me out and tell me what the pros and cons of charlotte are? Weather, crime, culture, cost of living ...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,477,865 times
Uhhh... Keep reading? I think we discuss those topics round the clock on here.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi

I am relocating to charlotte for work, right now I live in providence ri. I am a single male in my late twenties.

So... I have been reading the forum trying to get a sense of what living in NC will be like. Can you guys help me out and tell me what the pros and cons of charlotte are? Weather, crime, culture, cost of living ...

Thanks!
I am also a single male in my late 20's who just moved here from Hartford, CT area.

Charlotte is very nice place to live. It has four seasons, but winter is rather mild, with almost no snowfall, which is a con if you like snow. Crime is bad in certain areas within the city, but I have felt very safe almost everywhere I went. The immediate west and east sides of Uptown (the downtown) are where the majority of the crime is concentrated. The culture is an interesting blend of northern and southern people. You will hear plenty of southern accents as well, so be prepared for that. Cost of living is low. You can purchase a newly constructed home for like $150K with 3 bedrooms in a nice area. But don't expect the build quality to be as good or full of character as with the homes you would find in RI. Tons of cookie-cut out apartments and neighborhoods here, unless you are near the city core.

There are plenty of young people aged 25-34; certainly more than in Providence, RI.

Traffic is really bad only in certain areas, such as I-485 between I-77 and U.S. 521, but this only applies to rush hours.

Overall, Charlotte is a desirable place to live, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's better than the Providence, RI area. I'm currently debating whether to return to New England myself or not...although I don't have much of a choice, due to financial and job circumstances.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,574,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am also a single male in my late 20's who just moved here from Hartford, CT area.

Charlotte is very nice place to live. It has four seasons, but winter is rather mild, with almost no snowfall, which is a con if you like snow. Crime is bad in certain areas within the city, but I have felt very safe almost everywhere I went. The immediate west and east sides of Uptown (the downtown) are where the majority of the crime is concentrated. The culture is an interesting blend of northern and southern people. You will hear plenty of southern accents as well, so be prepared for that. Cost of living is low. You can purchase a newly constructed home for like $150K with 3 bedrooms in a nice area. But don't expect the build quality to be as good or full of character as with the homes you would find in RI. Tons of cookie-cut out apartments and neighborhoods here, unless you are near the city core.

There are plenty of young people aged 25-34; certainly more than in Providence, RI.

Traffic is really bad only in certain areas, such as I-485 between I-77 and U.S. 521, but this only applies to rush hours.

Overall, Charlotte is a desirable place to live, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's better than the Providence, RI area. I'm currently debating whether to return to New England myself or not...although I don't have much of a choice, due to financial and job circumstances.
Thanks I have to move for a job so I have no choice. I read your other thread about charlotte and it had a lot of good info.

Are there good restraints and nightlife compared to Boston or providence?.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Thanks I have to move for a job so I have no choice. I read your other thread about charlotte and it had a lot of good info.

Are there good restraints and nightlife compared to Boston or providence?.
Restaurants are a huge downgrade from Boston or Providence, for sure, unless you like Applebee's, Chili's, Red Robin and other chain restaurants. It's harder to find genuinely good food here. But it's there if you look hard enough.

Nightlife is about the same as Providence, I would say, but maybe slightly better, because there are a few more clubs. I wouldn't say it's as good as Boston, though. But it's sufficient enough. I'm not a nightlife person though, but I've experienced it in both places to know enough. But, I would say that people are generally more approachable in bars and clubs here, which is a plus. In Providence and Boston, people tended to be cliquey or pretentious. Most of the nightlife is concentrated within a 5-mile radius of the downtown area.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 AM

328 posts, read 531,437 times
Small world – I moved to Charlotte, NC from Providence, RI (my hometown) as a male in my mid-20’s as well. I can totally relate!

So my disclaimer is that I have a lot of homestate pride. RI is a fantastic and strange little place that’s unlike anywhere else in the country. That said, my move to CLT was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was the first city I moved to after college and it took me no time to really fall for it. Here’s some of the reasons I am such an avid Charlotte advocate:

- I believe it is one of the easiest places on the east coast to transplant to. The cost of living is low (even though pay is also lower, it is still noticeable how affordable everything is), and the city is incredibly navigable. It’s large and sprawling, but easy to get around (mostly by car but there is also very useable public transit), and issues like parking and traffic and potholed roads are not really an issue. Coming from the often congested streets of PVD, you’ll notice a difference.

- The number of transplants here, combined with what I find to be a mostly charming and friendly southern culture in the surrounding towns, makes this the ideal city for newcomers. A lot of folks are from the north, but there are also tons of young people from other NC and SC cities – the result of this mix is a social and open culture in which it is really easy to make friends. Whenever I am telling folks about this, I always reference the time I took my first flight out of the Charlotte airport: I was living pretty far from it (like 45 minutes) and planning on taking a cab to get there. Without even having to ask, three separate people offered to drive me and refused to take any gas money. Examples like this reveal that it’s not only that folks here are friendly – they’re also, in my experience, genuinely invested in you and go out of their way to help out. I made good friends fast in CLT.

-I respectfully disagree with the poster who said there are less food options in Charlotte. I think that a lot of folks think immediately of CLT’s suburban sprawl (which comes with a lot of chain restaurants), but you’ll find fantastic and authentic restaurants all over the city (though you might miss the Italian food – I’ll say that). Mert’s and Italian Open Kitchen and Bad Daddy’s are just some of my favorite local spots. And you’ll find the nightlife to be solid, too, since there are so many folks in their 20’s who have moved to the city. Mostly this is in Uptown (in addition to the Epicentre, which a lot of people hate, there are tons of places dotted throughout the Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth, and NoDa. It’s just less centralized than the PVD scene might be.

- Part of the reason CLT is so easy is because of the weather. Your body gets used to hunching over in the cold weather of the northeast, and I think the fact that it’s largely really warm and sunny makes the vibe of NC feel much more positive (I say this with a lot of love to PVD’s culture). There is almost always something to do in CLT because the weather is almost always conducive. It makes a huge difference in your quality of life and, trust me, you really feel it.

- Some considerations: the job market isn’t so hot right now. I believe it will pick up, but it may be difficult to either find a job or, if you’ve already got one, switch to another one when the time comes. Like I said, I think the economy will pick up – and I already have seen signs of it bubbling beneath the surface in CLT. Another thing to note (and this is neither a pro or a con) is that church culture is significant down here. I say that because I know a lot of my friends in PVD were not religious, but a lot of my friends in CLT are – I certainly never felt pressured to attend church, but it’s just important to note that a substantial part of the culture in the south is grounded in church culture (not all, but much more than PVD). You will drive. A lot. City is a big city geographically, and surrounding NC has a lot to offer – you’ll find that you’re adding a lot more mileage to your car than in RI, which can be daunting. You can rely on public transportation, but I’d say its about the same caliber as RIDOT: can be limiting.

I left CLT a year ago for school/work and I’ve missed it since. Last time I visited I was reminded how bright and easy the whole place felt – it’s a great city to have an adventure, make new friends, and explore. I think you’d be surprised how much it has to offer.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM

3,461 posts, read 3,146,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
Small world Ė I moved to Charlotte, NC from Providence, RI (my hometown) as a male in my mid-20ís as well. I can totally relate!

So my disclaimer is that I have a lot of homestate pride. RI is a fantastic and strange little place thatís unlike anywhere else in the country. That said, my move to CLT was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was the first city I moved to after college and it took me no time to really fall for it. Hereís some of the reasons I am such an avid Charlotte advocate:

- I believe it is one of the easiest places on the east coast to transplant to. The cost of living is low (even though pay is also lower, it is still noticeable how affordable everything is), and the city is incredibly navigable. Itís large and sprawling, but easy to get around (mostly by car but there is also very useable public transit), and issues like parking and traffic and potholed roads are not really an issue. Coming from the often congested streets of PVD, youíll notice a difference.

- The number of transplants here, combined with what I find to be a mostly charming and friendly southern culture in ...........
Definitely a Charlotte chamber of commerce post but that's the attitude a person should have when relocating anywhere. Instead of dwelling on how "great" everything is back home (or somewhere else) and a multitude of negatives, make the best of it, new friends, experiences, etc.

Excellent post and well stated...really points out some of the differences between geographics and culture.... and not as drastic as people make them out to be.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,953,446 times
Charlotte, being a Sunbelt city does have a fair share of national chain restaurants. Businesses like this move to where people are moving. On the other hand, CLT is also full of small mom & pop places that serve excellent food of all types. It does take some work to search them out because the good places don't need to advertise.

I'm amused when I hear these sorts of things because my Mom who was raised in the South, has often commented (after traveling north) on how Northerners must be starving to death because of the lack of good food up there. "poor things, there isn't a shred of decent food to eat in the North". LOL.

Perception often doesn't match reality.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Charlotte, being a Sunbelt city does have a fair share of national chain restaurants. Businesses like this move to where people are moving. On the other hand, CLT is also full of small mom & pop places that serve excellent food of all types. It does take some work to search them out because the good places don't need to advertise.

I'm amused when I hear these sorts of things because my Mom who was raised in the South, has often commented (after traveling north) on how Northerners must be starving to death because of the lack of good food up there. "poor things, there isn't a shred of decent food to eat in the North". LOL.

Perception often doesn't match reality.
Lol. Maybe because there are much less fast food restaurants up north. But up north, there are many more ma and pa restaurants.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,370,450 times
we have plenty of locally owned restaurants...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte