U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM

17 posts, read 41,479 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are new to Charlotte. We just moved up here from Atlanta around 1 month ago. We are currently renting in Colonial Village/Sedgefield (South Blvd) while we tour Charlotte on the weekends looking for the area of town we'd like to buy and call home for the next 15+ years. LOTS of different areas to search in! We'd really like to stay close in, so we've ruled out Union County, Ft. Mill, Ballantyne, Gaston etc. for now. Being from Atlanta, we're used to the traffic and like to have amenities close by.

Our price range is $275k-$325k. We've somewhat decided that we really like neighborhoods such as Stonehaven (not the best schools), Beverly Woods, Lansdowne, and Olde Providence. We really like the older neighborhoods with tree lined streets, mature lots, etc. Is there an area or neighborhood that we're missing on? Again, we really like Stonehaven with the swim/tennis, but the schools assigned are not too appealing and we don't have $15k+ per child for private schools.

We're hoping to buy in June/July, so we still have a few more months to visit open homes, drive around etc. Does anyone have any insight in regards to the neighborhoods listed above or know of any similiar that I may have missed?

Schools are important and it would be nice to buy with the hopes of property value increase. Being from Atlanta and seeing the growth within the city (people moving back in), I'd think my safest investment would be to buy closer in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,792 times
I love all of those neighborhoods too, but you're right to be concerned about schools for Stonehaven and, to a lesser extent, Landsdowne. Beverly Woods has a swim club (Beverly Woods East) and Olde Providence has a swim and tennis club called Windyrush within the neighborhood. Not to be confused with the swim/tennis club about a mile away called Olde Providence. The two are not connected. Olde Providence Swim & Tennis was established before Olde Providence neighborhood was built so when they decided to put a swim club in the neighborhood, they named it after the street it was on (Windyrush). Very confusing!

I think in the case of both clubs, you do not have to live in the neighborhood to join and you don't have to join if you live in either of those neighborhoods (I did a lot of swim club research a while back).

I think you could find very nice houses in either of those neighborhoods and you'd be very happy with the schools. You might also want to check out Wessex Square on Rea Road (currently a construction nightmare). Not quite as charming as BW and OP but close by and same schools as OP. Also, there's a very small neighborhood off Rea Road right by OP Elementary called Foxglove. Really just two streets but gorgeous homes and a tight knit community. For some reason there are currently 3 house for sale. It might be a stretch but maybe someone is willing to bargain.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,957,064 times
I agree about the investment part.

These are all excellent neighborhoods and I recommend them. You really can't go wrong with real estate areas 4 & 5 inside of I-485. In fact I recommend staying inside or within a couple of miles to Charlotte Route 4 in these areas if possible, and your budget allows it.

There are options such as magnet schools and more charter schools coming which might help with your concerns over the schools.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,792 times
I'd still err on the side of caution school-wise because of eventual resale. BW goes to BW Elementary and OP goes to OP Elementary which are both excellent schools that residents can walk to. Then BW goes to AG Middle and OP goes to Carmel. I think AG is the better of the two but both are excellent. Then they both go to Myers Park High School. Great schools!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 41,479 times
Crazy how these schools line up. Stonehaven and Lansdowne are beautiful neighborhoods w/ really nice homes. It's a shame that the school system here in Charlotte is so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or