Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times

Advertisements

I very, very rarely feel as strongly about a subject as I do about this. In my opinion, if a government (of any country) decides and spends the money to vaccinate children against diseases and make this medication mandatory, it is simply criminal to not vaccinate or inoculate as directed.

It seems that there are still some unbelievably and incredibly STUPID people out there who think that they know better than:
- their government
- the World Health Organization
- world medical opinion
- many decades of observable disease reduction brought about by such programs

The ONLY way we shall eliminate many diseases is by vaccination.

Anybody who does not vaccinate their children is clearly endangering other children. For this reason alone, vaccinations are made mandatory and are neccessary.

I read that the Taliban in Pakistan are shooting nurses who go out inoculating children against polio. It seems they actually want people to get sick, become crippled and possibly die.

Does the OP really want to sink to close to that level with their own offspring?

*** rant off ***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I was shocked when my child went to college to find out that kids living in a dorm could get an 'exception' from vaccinations.

Not having your kid vaccinated puts all kids at risk.

If you choose to refuse vaccinations for your child they should not be allowed to put a foot out of their own home.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
so it IS okay for the government to force people to do things if it keeps us all safe?

Interesting

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
so it IS okay for the government to force people to do things if it keeps us all safe?

Interesting
Public health issues are typically under the purview of the government and often are assisted by NGOs.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Interesting
Yes, that is correct.

One of the main things governments do is to look after their people. Public health like clean water regulations, rules around sanitation and vaccinations are amongst those things. If this is not well understood by now, there is a serious problem.

Amongst the other things governments do to "force" us to be safe are getting people to all drive on the same side of the road and having mandatory driving tests to make sure this is understood. Teaching people to read so's they can understand the published rules and compulsory education with exams to test the standards.

I think that this is now well enough illustrated.

Today we have an fairly effective flu vaccine that is renewed each year to combat the yearly flu strains. Had we had that in 1918-19, millions of Americans would not have died from Spanish flu. In fact the 1919 flu epidemic killed more people worldwide than the preceding 1914-18 First World War did.

The bottom line:

Get your kids vaccinated because, it saves many of their lives and more importantly the lives of other children and possibly some of their taxpayer parents too. This is also cheaper than treating the diseases.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTnative84 View Post
the guy said he worked in "big pharma" for 15 years and never caused an epidemic. i asked him my question about said suicide epidemic in the US that has direct links to many pharmaceuticals. it's a legit question, i'm sorry if you do not agree but i don't really care if you think this is the appropriate thread for that question!
I am talking about TOS, not your personal preferences or how you feel about me, in particular.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
If I had more sleep and more time I would argue this subject, but I strongly feel the OP wouldn't learn a thing anyway. Just keep your child locked in your home, and I'm fine with whatever choice you decide on.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM

150 posts, read 324,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I was shocked when my child went to college to find out that kids living in a dorm could get an 'exception' from vaccinations.

Not having your kid vaccinated puts all kids at risk.

If you choose to refuse vaccinations for your child they should not be allowed to put a foot out of their own home.
I don't understand what your problem is. As long as your kid is vaccinated, he is safe... right? I mean, afterall, that is what a vaccination does... it protects you, right?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
I don't understand what your problem is. As long as your kid is vaccinated, he is safe... right? I mean, afterall, that is what a vaccination does... it protects you, right?
Yes. But your kid that isn't vaccinated could make millions of others sick. That's the point.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM

150 posts, read 324,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Yes. But your kid that isn't vaccinated could make millions of others sick. That's the point.
Not other vaccinated kids... right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte