Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to one of the nicer areas of Charlotte community (Myers Park, Foxcroft, Eastover, Ballantyne, etc.) but are concerned about the safety of the area. We've read some articles and seen statistics that seem to indicate crime as a concern. We're coming from a suburb of NJ where kids can play outside on streets in neighborhood without parental supervision (at 7 years old).... kids this age ride their bikes to school (& no one even locks their bike up).
Does this lifestyle exist in these Charlotte suburbs? where? What should we expect?
Also concerned about the safety in Uptown, and ability to walk around (day and night? is there stuff to do? is it safe?)

Thanks for any color and feedback you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
We are considering moving to one of the nicer areas of Charlotte community (Myers Park, Foxcroft, Eastover, Ballantyne, etc.) but are concerned about the safety of the area. We've read some articles and seen statistics that seem to indicate crime as a concern. We're coming from a suburb of NJ where kids can play outside on streets in neighborhood without parental supervision (at 7 years old).... kids this age ride their bikes to school (& no one even locks their bike up).
Does this lifestyle exist in these Charlotte suburbs? where? What should we expect?
Also concerned about the safety in Uptown, and ability to walk around (day and night? is there stuff to do? is it safe?)

North Jersey or South Jersey?

Would the job(s) be located in Charlotte?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,666,885 times
Quote:

I live in Ballantyne and everything is fairly safe. Myers Park and Foxcroft have positive reviews. Not sure about Eastover.

Yes, that lifestyle does exist in Charlotte suburbs.

Look into Myers Park, Ballantyne, Foxcroft like you mentioned. There is a few nicer neighborhoods that have a gate and security guard if that matters to you.

Don't worry about uptown. There's plenty of things for families to do (day and night) and is safe.

Don't worry so much!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM

489 posts, read 905,719 times
Extremely safe for a family.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,413,840 times
Quote:

I'm a longtime transplant, who grew up as you described. There are some neighborhoods like you describe, and I still find CLT a fairly safe city to live in. That being said, you still must use reasonable caution no matter where you are...remove all valuables in your car, lock your doors even during the day, etc. Uptown CLT/Center City has lots to do, but I still would NOT ambulate there alone after dark. Do your homework and you should do well and like it here!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM

372 posts, read 655,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I'm a longtime transplant, who grew up as you described. There are some neighborhoods like you describe, and I still find CLT a fairly safe city to live in. That being said, you still must use reasonable caution no matter where you are...remove all valuables in your car, lock your doors even during the day, etc. Uptown CLT/Center City has lots to do, but I still would NOT ambulate there alone after dark. Do your homework and you should do well and like it here!
Agree with most of this, EXCEPT about venturing to Uptown alone after dark. Like all major metropolitan areas, there are good places and bad places....The Epicentre is very safe, but I wouldn't want to visit the transportation center after dark.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

328 posts, read 612,862 times
It is a city, so there is naturally more crime than most suburbs. That's to be expected with a move from a suburb to a city. However, CLT is a very safe place, comparatively speaking, and the neighborhoods you've described are ideal for families. If you're looking for actual suburbs, try Concord, Harrisburg, Matthews, Pinville or Huntersville.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 57,675 times
Stay away from the east side. I lived there back in 2007. Lots of crazy and unsafe areas.

Charlotte is safe if you live in the right neighboorhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte