Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times

Advertisements

Hotel rates going higher during peak demand (event) is very common as it should be in a supply and demand economy. In my travels I see it all over the country, there are times when hotels more than double the rate when large events are in the area and this is normal (to compensate for the empty rooms for the rest of the year).

I do hope that our local government does not get involved to "sweeten the pot" for any Charlotte events, I am definitely not a supporter of corporate welfare for short lived "economic boosts" where most times we end up paying more than the ROI.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well, you are my source... lol.

You had no problem using this figure when bashing the DNC rental of Time Warner...
You apparently missed the point in that the #s were bogus. No matter, I've since discovered this.

CIAA bonuses raise questions | CharlotteObserver.com

The CIAA gave $100,000 to the CRVA to be paid out as direct bonus to the people at the CRVA responsible for the CIAA. It's the CRVA which came up with the $50M - $60M figure. CRVA is a taxpayer paid for organization. It should be noted, the CRVA CE who is mentioned in the article, is the same person who came up with the wildly incorrect visitor numbers used to justify the Nascar HOF.

Given this sort of thing, the CIAA estimates have changed as follows:
  • 2008 - 181,000 - $30M
  • 2009 - 141,818 - $38M
  • 2010 - unspecified - $37M
  • 2011 - >190,000 - $44M*
  • 2012 - >197,000 - $50M **

* They change the way it's counted to include non-CRVA "Uptown Functions"
** They changed the way it's counted to include non-CRVA "Uptown Functions" & "estimate of unofficial event attendance figures".

So attendance rises 9% since 2008 but economic impact increases 67%!!? I say BS.

Last edited by frewroad; 03-04-2013 at 03:53 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You apparently missed the point in that the #s were bogus. No matter, I've since discovered this.

CIAA bonuses raise questions | CharlotteObserver.com

The CIAA gave $100,000 to the CRVA to be paid out as direct bonus to the people at the CRVA responsible for the CIAA. It's the CRVA which came up with the $50M - $60M figure. CRVA is a taxpayer paid for organization. It should be noted, the CRVA CE who is mentioned in the article, is the same person who came up with the wildly incorrect visitor numbers used to justify the Nascar HOF.

Given this sort of thing, the CIAA estimates have changed as follows:
  • 2008 - 181,000 - $30M
  • 2009 - 141,818 - $38M
  • 2010 - unspecified - $37M
  • 2011 - >190,000 - $44M*
  • 2012 - >197,000 - $50M **
* They change the way it's counted to include non-CRVA "Uptown Functions"
** They changed the way it's counted to include non-CRVA "Uptown Functions" & "estimate of unofficial event attendance figures".

So attendance rises 9% since 2008 but economic impact increases 67%!!? I say BS.
Me too!
I'm glad it may come to an end. They forget to include the loss in sales from Charlotteans like me, that stay away from this event. "Reka" I'll bet, drives a Mercedes.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
This event generates 50 to 60 mill and that revenue is spread all over the city. Not sure its a good idea to lose it over 500k. Its a tough situation because people are coming for the parties and not the games... not sure you can force people to watch games they have no interest in...

IMO the CIAA needs to work with hotels to create ticket packages when buying the room.
Charlotte is the best venue for the tournament, I think they'll develop new marketing strategies to improve game time attendance. Again, many of the larger HBCUs like Hampton, Norfolk and especially North Carolina Central (geographics) that left the CIAA the last decade...so they'll have to address this issue with dedicated alumni who faithfully attended those games.

We all know why some people don't want the event, no matter the economic impact. Too bad for them, it's a chance for them to interact and socialize in a lot of fun events...as did a lot of people of all different backgrounds who aren't fixated on a stereotype about African Americans.

In my opinion, it will get worked out, the event will be here for the long haul.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Me too!
I'm glad it may come to an end. They forget to include the loss in sales from Charlotteans like me, that stay away from this event. "Reka" I'll bet, drives a Mercedes.
While they're at it, get rid of speed street! I'm sure there are plenty of tractor pulls and trailer park activities to keep you busy for one weekend.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Charlotte is the best venue for the tournament, I think they'll develop new marketing strategies to improve game time attendance. Again, many of the larger HBCUs like Hampton, Norfolk and especially North Carolina Central (geographics) that left the CIAA the last decade.

We all know why some people don't want the event, no matter the economic impact. Too bad for them, it's a chance for them to interact and socialize in a lot of fun events...as did a lot of people of all different backgrounds who aren't fixated on a stereotype about African Americans.

In my opinion, it will get worked out, the event will be here for the long haul.
I agree... there is a reason the CIAA threatened lawsuits. They know most of the money is being generated by events that aren't directly related to CIAA.

In the future they should probably work with more clubs to include ticket sales in their packages. I know the bands are smaller at basketball events but they should have a battle of the bands/step show, etc... or something of that nature at halftimes to increase attendance.

There is a reason cities are trying hard to get the CIAA... it brings in a boat load of cash. I know "some" people like to skew numbers up and down to support their arguments but they can't deny CIAA is the highest revenue generator Charlotte has...

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 03-04-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Me too!
loss of sales? LOL...

I'm sure Charlotte found a way to keep the lights on without your $18.00 this weekend.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
CRVA is a taxpayer paid for organization. It should be noted, the CRVA CE who is mentioned in the article, is the same person who came up with the wildly incorrect visitor numbers used to justify the Nascar HOF.
I'm not reading all that but I did see this^^^

Nascar has nothing to do with this topic. You had no problem using the CCCP's bogus numbers before to support your argument

I would hate to believe you knowingly used bogus data to your benefit. Regardless of how far you move the goal post I doubt you have the strength the move them to a figure that doesn't prove this event is a revenue generator for the city.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not reading all that ...
It proves what I said, no wonder.
  • CCCP? My numbers come directly from the CIAA website. Are you calling them bogus?
  • Nascar? So you also disagree with the comments made above about Speed Street? Or do you disagree because they came from me?
  • Revenue Generator?The numbers you won't examine, which come from the CIAA website, say otherwise.
You are not very convincing.

The Economic Impact of this organization on Charlotte, IMO, is way way overstated.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

I don't care what color they are. My interest is in the use of tax money and the ethical issues surrounding the payments to individuals with tax money who come up with the estimates that justify the tax dollars being spent. It's wrong no matter what the race.

Too bad this sort of thing is tossed out to blunt the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte