U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,752,002 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind, this is for families, not to be confused with the Cancun and Panama City Beach crowds.

Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM

328 posts, read 531,472 times
This is totally on point - CLT has so much to offer for families. A lot of great parks and restaurants, public art and museums (for audiences of all ages). I'm happy to see CLT recognized for being a great place to visit - too often it suffers the stigma of being a place that isn't for tourists. I've always thought this was an inaccurate portrayal. While it is certainly not a beach or mountain town, it's a wonderful place to stop by and explore and offers all kinds of folks (not just families) plenty to discover. If more people gave it a chance (which hopefully being on lists like this will encourage), there will be more folks who see that the city is a fantastic place to spend time in.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM

6 posts, read 5,514 times
I completely agree with you. I'm from Baltimore MD where there's so much to offer and do but Charlotte is not too far from being a little city that offers a lot. I love charlotte and with 2 young children can't keep up with alls that's around for us! Thank U Charlotte!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,783,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottegirl02 View Post
I completely agree with you. I'm from Baltimore MD where there's so much to offer and do but Charlotte is not too far from being a little city that offers a lot. I love charlotte and with 2 young children can't keep up with alls that's around for us! Thank U Charlotte!
I look forward to when charlotte can offer the big city stuff like Baltimore .
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte makes top 10 list of Spring Break destinations for familes in 2013-104589818_955c4d60fa_o.jpg   Charlotte makes top 10 list of Spring Break destinations for familes in 2013-balt8.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Thinking that there are a LOT of other places with more to do...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM

697 posts, read 1,155,131 times
You need to get over your hometown bias. If a family is going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on airfare, hotel, entertainment, etc. there are much better options for a family vacation than Charlotte. Charlotte is not a destination, unless you're a rabid NASCAR fan. Nothing wrong with that. It just is what it is.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
According to this thread, Charlotte ranked #26 in the Nation when it comes to casual and convention visitors. FWIW, the ranking is from 2007; the thread is from 2009 though.

The following is a slideshow of the Nation's 10 most popular business travel destinations. Charlotte ranked #8 here as of 2011.
SLIDESHOW: Top 10 cities for business travel - Puget Sound Business Journal

^^^IMO, Charlotte's balance of "work" and "play" visitors is how things should be. This city isn't Vegas, but there is certainly enough here to keep people busy. Just Carowinds alone is a rather cool local option that's cheap if one takes advantage of season passes.

Clint Rides Carowinds Windseeker - YouTube

Clint & Will ride Intimidator at Carowinds - YouTube

^^^FWIW, Intimidator was (and might still be) one of the top 10 rated coasters in the Nation. Places such as the uptown museum district and the Whitewater center are also decent local attractions. Honestly (and this is just my opinion) I think some folks kinda go out of their way to justify their beliefs that Charlotte is boring. Then again, "fun" things are always more fun when you have that special someone in your life to enjoy them with (which would explain why the singles in Charlotte and most other cities complain about being bored so much).

Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
LOL... I know this hurts.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
You need to get over your hometown bias. If a family is going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on airfare, hotel, entertainment, etc. there are much better options for a family vacation than Charlotte. Charlotte is not a destination, unless you're a rabid NASCAR fan. Nothing wrong with that. It just is what it is.

Carowinds and affordability are probably the 2 main reasons to visit Charlotte.

You may have much better options but for a ton of families Charlotte is a great option for a vacation.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,294,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Obviously not, or they would be listed ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or