U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
244 posts, read 959,063 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I read it again, my only point is dont bash charlotte if you dont live here, because you see a topic "why are groceries so high" yes some people think its cheap here and compared to where I used to live it is, however I do have to agree that food is alot more expensive. but some people get off hearing that since so many people are flocking here wow they must be miserable because there are some things they dont like or didnt anticipate, that is all the point I was trying to convey..either way this isnt what this thread is about.

Lets keep it on track.
You specifically posted about that, and didn't accurately represent the nature of the thread. It was put in this thread, so thus was responded to in this thread.

Anyway, I think such a major change is a tough thing, and you need to do as much research as possible before you make any leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
You specifically posted about that, and didn't accurately represent the nature of the thread. It was put in this thread, so thus was responded to in this thread.

Anyway, I think such a major change is a tough thing, and you need to do as much research as possible before you make any leap.
Whatever..but I do agree with you that is the key, whether its a transfer or wanting a different quality of life, doing research as much as possible is absoutely the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
 
20 posts, read 39,536 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams View Post
LOL! Vanyali, we should hang out! There are some creepy church people that is for sure...
I too am thinking about moving back to NY...BUT I haven't lived there in 11 years. I spent a year in Las Vegas and 9 in Annapolis, MD. I like CLT but my only problem is being a single mother and not having ANY family down here. I am very lucky I scored a lucrative job at wachovia before I moved and own my home...I just don't have anyone to share it with. I work long hours too so my daughter is in day care longer than she was in MD and that really bothers me.
I notice some of you are posting that you love it here after only a few months I was the same way. I think the novelty wore off. Maybe things would be different if I had some family down here though.
I just moved to Ballantyne and agree with a lot of what you said. I find it hard to meet new people around here. I tried Fox and the Hound in Ballantyne the other night and everyone has their little groups they stick to. Look out if anyone invites you to the Praise the Life church in Pineville. It's so cult like and creepy. They converted an old hotel into a church and the whole thing looks like a Scientology camp. I hear from people at my job that watching a race is a good place to meet people but I don't care much for Nascar. I just think I need to move back to CA where there's sand, surf, and sun.

edit: Didn't mean to slam some of the good people at PtL. I had the misfortune of meeting a few weirdos there though, but a lot were nice enough people.

Last edited by suture up your future; 10-28-2007 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Union County, NC
33 posts, read 20,986 times
Reputation: 16
VERY important, yes. The issue with miserable newcomers is some of them moved here on a whim. I dont care how great the weather and cost of living is in CLT, research cant be neglected. Many people find out that CLT wasnt what they pictured.. Then they go through more stress when finding another place to move to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Whatever..but I do agree with you that is the key, whether its a transfer or wanting a different quality of life, doing research as much as possible is absoutely the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 AM
 
332 posts, read 866,131 times
Reputation: 106
i been to charlotte just this weekend and i almost called sick from my job for monday. i didn't want to come back to the d.c. area and when i move to charlotte in march i will be happy. i just wish wegmans come to charlotte LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Indian Land, SC
19 posts, read 12,192 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suture up your future View Post
I hear from people at my job that watching a race is a good place to meet people but I don't care much for Nascar.
I don't like Nascar either as all of my friends and family feel the same way. But there's events that happen during the summer like...

Pop life
Center City Allive After Five -

SLIDESHOW: Center City Alive After Five 2007 Kickoff - Photos - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/slideshow/news/13207708/detail.html - broken link)



Have you czech'd out Creativeloafing.com. There's always events going on in the charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKITNC View Post
VERY important, yes. The issue with miserable newcomers is some of them moved here on a whim. I dont care how great the weather and cost of living is in CLT, research cant be neglected. Many people find out that CLT wasnt what they pictured.. Then they go through more stress when finding another place to move to.
Perfectly Said!!

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw, NC
494 posts, read 1,180,500 times
Reputation: 171
It is hard to make friends wherever you live. This issue really has nothing to do with Charlotte specifically. When moving someplace new you always have to make an effort to build new relationship...it takes time to make a true friend....but it does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 PM
 
58 posts, read 116,176 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
It is hard to make friends wherever you live. This issue really has nothing to do with Charlotte specifically. When moving someplace new you always have to make an effort to build new relationship...it takes time to make a true friend....but it does happen.
This is true... And people tend to forget that while they are new to an area, the bulk of the people they are coming into contact with have already settled in. It takes time and patience, and sometimes you have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to be your friend after all. But with the right amount of effort and patience, friendships will be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
118 posts, read 408,557 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams View Post
LOL! Vanyali, we should hang out! There are some creepy church people that is for sure...
I too am thinking about moving back to NY...BUT I haven't lived there in 11 years. I spent a year in Las Vegas and 9 in Annapolis, MD. I like CLT but my only problem is being a single mother and not having ANY family down here. I am very lucky I scored a lucrative job at wachovia before I moved and own my home...I just don't have anyone to share it with. I work long hours too so my daughter is in day care longer than she was in MD and that really bothers me.
I notice some of you are posting that you love it here after only a few months I was the same way. I think the novelty wore off. Maybe things would be different if I had some family down here though.
I too have no family here, but I love Charlotte and been here for 6 years now. However I know it has to be hard doing it as a single parent. Actually most of my friends do no have children here, but the ones that do I try to help them out as much as I can. You know give them some alone time while the kids and I go hang out. Hopefully you can find some friends with children to help ease the burden of the pumpkin having to be in childcare so long. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top