Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:40 PM

58 posts, read 129,562 times

Advertisements

A couple more weeks and I'll be back in New York for good. But my move to Charlotte was only temporary from the beginning. There were good and bad things I found in Charlotte, and there are good and bad things about New York / New Jersey too.

I'll never understand the tension here though. Why does anyone really care about where someone else came from or whether they have the same values or not?

My sincere wish for everyone here is that you find happiness wherever you are, and if you're not happy, you'll go somewhere else and find what you want out of life. If everyone concentrated on their own lives and worried a little bit less about why their neighbors moved from somewhere else or why their neighbors don't love their city as much as they do, everyone would be much better off.

I'll say it one more time...

To the Charlotte natives: Unless someone is breaking into your home and forcing you to watch the Giants or Jets games with them, complaining to you about the food, or telling you things are different in the northeast; lighten up. Why do you care if they talk or think different than you do or have different food preferences? If someone you pass in a grocery store or sit next to in traffic can get under your skin that much, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

To the northerners: Chances are you did well financially, at least in terms of selling your home and buying something in Charlotte. If you like Charlotte for what it is, that's great; you're ahead of the game. If you don't, your first mistake was moving somewhere just to sock some cash away. That was a lame move on your part. BUT you can always use some of that extra money to go back and visit NY/NJ or wherever you came from as often as you want. You can also move back if you find Charlotte to be completely unbearable, but that won't be easy. You made the move; now find a way to make it work for you.

To everyone: Learn to peacefully coexist. And do it ASAP. Or you're all going to be very miserable. Charlotte is going to change again and again over the next few years. There's nothing anyone can do about that, so learn to live with it and accept things as they come, or you'll never be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:54 PM

235 posts, read 730,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
A couple more weeks and I'll be back in New York for good. But my move to Charlotte was only temporary from the beginning. There were good and bad things I found in Charlotte, and there are good and bad things about New York / New Jersey too.

I'll never understand the tension here though. Why does anyone really care about where someone else came from or whether they have the same values or not?

My sincere wish for everyone here is that you find happiness wherever you are, and if you're not happy, you'll go somewhere else and find what you want out of life. If everyone concentrated on their own lives and worried a little bit less about why their neighbors moved from somewhere else or why their neighbors don't love their city as much as they do, everyone would be much better off.

I'll say it one more time...

To the Charlotte natives: Unless someone is breaking into your home and forcing you to watch the Giants or Jets games with them, complaining to you about the food, or telling you things are different in the northeast; lighten up. Why do you care if they talk or think different than you do or have different food preferences? If someone you pass in a grocery store or sit next to in traffic can get under your skin that much, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

To the northerners: Chances are you did well financially, at least in terms of selling your home and buying something in Charlotte. If you like Charlotte for what it is, that's great; you're ahead of the game. If you don't, your first mistake was moving somewhere just to sock some cash away. That was a lame move on your part. BUT you can always use some of that extra money to go back and visit NY/NJ or wherever you came from as often as you want. You can also move back if you find Charlotte to be completely unbearable, but that won't be easy. You made the move; now find a way to make it work for you.

To everyone: Learn to peacefully coexist. And do it ASAP. Or you're all going to be very miserable. Charlotte is going to change again and again over the next few years. There's nothing anyone can do about that, so learn to live with it and accept things as they come, or you'll never be happy.
You said a mouthful..I am jealous that you will get to watch the Mets next year..that's the one thing we missed this year hanging out on our couch and watching our METS...be sure to give them my best and tell them to kick some butt for those of us who can't be there to watch them!!
Have a safe journey home.....and send some BAGELS!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Wow Berkshire413, you find the area boringly depressing? What is lacking? I must say that I am familiar with western Mass. and upstate N.Y. It just seems funny that you would say that. Granted Charlotte isn't a small town but it is close to beaches and mountains. What do you mean "The geography of Nowhere". Have you tried to make friends or take advantage of things that the area offers? There are lots of ammenities around.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:31 PM

237 posts, read 855,847 times
Good post. My wife and I have been here for 4 months now and we like alot of things about charlotte. The biggest thing to get used to for us has been leaving our family and friends. But it is better for us financially down here. We will see how it goes and arre giving it two years before deciding to stay or not. going home next month will be hard to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Girl,

Your husband's reaction is not uncommon. My husband and I have moved 4 times in 7 years for his work, and he married me... a person for whom change does not come easy. But what I have learned after living this time after time, is that so many of the negative thoughts about a place have more to do with the newness and unfamiliarity of it than the place itself.

Pretty much I now know regardless of what state I move to, that initially I will dislike it and that given 6 months to a year I will have found things that I really like (even love) about it. My point is Home-sickness is real, but given enough time you start to see the good in where you have moved to as your surroundings become more familiar.

Many of the people who are complaining about Charlotte are doing so, because they are still in the process of adjusting.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
According to the NJ forum, all the NJ people are moving back. What a Joke. they browse here in Charlotte forum and then go into their forum and tell everyone how miserable everyone from NJ are. basically saying "they are posting about Cost of living being so high so and the cost of food, and apparentely everyone is miserable".

Im telling you, I just dont get some people.
I'm glad Brian posted the link. I think you didn't read enough of the forum.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM

102 posts, read 313,246 times
I am pretty indifferent. I like the charlotte area. I love being able to go to Asheville and see some nice countryside. I also like uptown. Main reason I miss it up north is my family up there. I also miss the italian food, having kosher food right down the street, my friends there.

In the end being in charlotte may just be temporary, but its not because I dislike charlotte. Mostly will be family related.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I read it again, my only point is dont bash charlotte if you dont live here, because you see a topic "why are groceries so high" yes some people think its cheap here and compared to where I used to live it is, however I do have to agree that food is alot more expensive. but some people get off hearing that since so many people are flocking here wow they must be miserable because there are some things they dont like or didnt anticipate, that is all the point I was trying to convey..either way this isnt what this thread is about.

Lets keep it on track.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I read it again, my only point is dont bash charlotte if you dont live here, because you see a topic "why are groceries so high" yes some people think its cheap here and compared to where I used to live it is, however I do have to agree that food is alot more expensive. but some people get off hearing that since so many people are flocking here wow they must be miserable because there are some things they dont like or didnt anticipate, that is all the point I was trying to convey..either way this isnt what this thread is about.

Lets keep it on track.
This thread is on track. You referenced that other thread, misrepresented what people in that thread were saying and got it all wrong. And how do you know that people "get off" on hearing that people here are miserable? If anything it's really unfair how you're interpreting what other people are saying. I have yet to see one post where someone is truly gloating or as you so eloquently put it "get off" on other people's misery.

On the other hand I've seen a myriad of angry, hasty "go back to where you came from" posts. And THOSE I can find in a heartbeat.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM

478 posts, read 959,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Wow Berkshire413, you find the area boringly depressing? What is lacking? I must say that I am familiar with western Mass. and upstate N.Y. It just seems funny that you would say that. Granted Charlotte isn't a small town but it is close to beaches and mountains. What do you mean "The geography of Nowhere". Have you tried to make friends or take advantage of things that the area offers? There are lots of ammenities around.

By "Geography of Nowhere" I was simply inferring that most of Charlotte suburbia lacks any real character. Much of what you see, looks very similar to what you just passed a mile back. From my perspective, growing up in an area with older architecture, unique charm, a lot of culture and a beautiful landscape... it is not very easy to gel with.

But hey, that's just me - and I doubt I would really like any suburban environment - anywhere. The Charlotte area is, though, on the extreme end of it all - with the crazy expansion - and all I'm saying is... that it is not my scene. Then throw in the "southern vibe" - conservative, overtly religous, GW'04 sticker people - displaying thier favorite nascar driver's number on the back of their cars - well... I just can't deal. I'm not saying everyone is like that around these parts, of course, but... zzzz.

And as far as meeting people, taking advantage of things, etc - I will tell you flat out that I really have no real interest. I can imagine that sounds bad - but I know what I like, and it's not here.

Soon after realizing this wasn't the place for me (though I did never come here to stay...) -one of my worst fears was somehow, someway getting locked into staying here - and one day waking up being 45 years old, kids in school, etc. - and living the life of zoned out of southern suburbia, feeling like Henry Hill at the end of "GoodFellas" in a witness protection program... with the highlight of my day being a trip to Target or Harris Teeter. I'm exaggerating, of course, but....

No thanks.

There are better places to live for me, as well as to raise my kids. And, luckily, I know where that it is. My time in this area has not been all bad - it's just reaffirmed where I want to be...

But, obviously, this does not mean this is not a good area for you. We all are different - with various reasons for moving here - and I wish everyone the best, regardless of who their favorite nascar driver is.... (kidding, of course...)

Old 10-28-2007, 08:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Default Sorry Charlotte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
I'm glad Brian posted the link. I think you didn't read enough of the forum.

So sorry that our discussion spilled over to your forum and kinda got derailed.

Thought I'd step in and try and smooth things over.

There are a lot of folks from everywhere moving, or trying to move, into your area.
My very subjective (and small minded) observation of this massive immigration is that many are doing it without sufficient research.
Having lived in Jackson, Mississippi for 15 years, I grew to know a very little bit of the Southern culture and way of life.

Here is what I came away with.
Southerners have a heritage that is steeped in tradition, culture and history that is unmatched by anywhere that I have ever lived. Their lives are centered around family, friends, church and food-all things that bond a community. Southerners are fiercely proud of their heritage and familys are anchored to their very deep roots.
What I worry about is, with the massive migration down there, are we are compromising these values and rich traditions?
What is following this migration? The developers are 2 steps ahead and the retailers are 1/2 step behind. We are changing your landscape, both physically and culturally.
What I really hope is that the folks moving in familiarize themselves with the culture and embrace the southern culture. It is truly worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte