Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
On a red light? Sorry ain't moving unless all three lanes are clear.
The expectation is that you will turn on red into the nearest lane when it is clear. Not doing so is holding up traffic. Yes, it's your choice, but know that you are acting against the intention of "right on red" laws if you wait until all lanes are clear.

I turn right on red almost daily from Sardis Road North onto Independence. If I were to wait until all lanes were clear, I'd have a dozen cars backed up behind me. Is that fair to them?

Personally I think it is unreasonable, and that it unnecessarily contributes to traffic and stress. It's an action that happens successfully millions of times every day, but since you had a bad experience once, you are choosing to inconvenience everyone behind you. Does that seem reasonable? If we all made our own rules because of of an extremely rare thing that happened to us, we'd get nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
This past week while driving home I stopped at an intersection in the right lane. I was going to go ahead and turn right on red once I was sure that no cars were coming . Before I even had a second to look some jerk was on my rear honking his horn.....Did he not know that turning on red or waiting till it turned green was 100% my decision ? Because he disrespected me with the horn I decided not to turn on red but wait till it was green so he had to wait that much longer....Then as soon as I turned he quickly passed me as if he were trying to yet send me another message..so..I then sent him one by giving him the finger. What is funny is that we both got stopped by a train not 1/4 mile away and I ended up right beside this moron...He needs to be glad Im not a hothead or I could have done more than just give him the well deserved finger.. I did sorta pound my fist into my other hand so he could see even though I think he was scared to even look my way.....Beware there are people out there who dont know the traffic laws and disrespect people by blowing their horns when the people they are blowing at have done nothing wrong...be on guard and be safe.. thanks
I think you are the lucky one that the other driver was not a hot head. Someone blasts the horn ignore it. All you do is provoke in such a way as you write it that you are now communicating threats.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The expectation is that you will turn on red into the nearest lane when it is clear. Not doing so is holding up traffic. Yes, it's your choice, but know that you are acting against the intention of "right on red" laws if you wait until all lanes are clear.

I turn right on red almost daily from Sardis Road North onto Independence. If I were to wait until all lanes were clear, I'd have a dozen cars backed up behind me. Is that fair to them?

Personally I think it is unreasonable, and that it unnecessarily contributes to traffic and stress. It's an action that happens successfully millions of times every day, but since you had a bad experience once, you are choosing to inconvenience everyone behind you. Does that seem reasonable? If we all made our own rules because of of an extremely rare thing that happened to us, we'd get nowhere.
I thankfully don't drive anywhere on Independence. The light I mention leaving arboretum is the only one that gives me pause. Most of the roads I use are single or doubles thankfully.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If passing were the objective of the party shooting the video, then it would not have been necessary to then travel back across 3 lanes to get in front of the cop. Someone looking to avoid trouble would not have done this. In fact it would have been prudent to remain in the new lane and traveled on. That most likely would have been the end of it.

He passed the cop and wanted the cop to know it by crossing all those lanes again. That IS a provocation.
He was in the middle lane (edit: might've been the right lane if the third lane ended) for a little while after passing both the cop and the other car. He then got back into the left lane to pass a different car, although I guess you could argue he did that a little early, which of course gave the cop time to cut him off and slam on the brakes.

Last edited by GoPhils; 03-24-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
He passed the cop and wanted the cop to know it by crossing all those lanes again. That IS a provocation.
hogwash. you are divining intent with very little information, as you are want to do.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
hogwash. you are divining intent with very little information, as you are want to do.
Hogwash. If the driver had stayed in the right lane, IMO, the cop would have never pulled that final stunt. You are divining intent with very little information.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 AM

If the driver had stayed in the right lane, IMO, the cop could have then passed him back and pulled the same stunt of driving slowly in the left lane.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
.... IMO, the cop could have ...
Could Have??? You don't seem real convinced.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM

No I'm not, because I'm not a mind reader. But it must have been the initial flashing of the high beams that annoyed the cop in the first place or else he would never have pulled the stunt to begin with. It is foolish for you to assume that all would have been forgiven if the guy passed him and stayed in the right lane.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
.... It is foolish for you to assume that all would have been forgiven if the guy passed him and stayed in the right lane.
Except that I did not say this.

I said it is the responsibility of both drivers to do what they can to drive responsibly and to operate in a safe manner. The cop may have brake checked the first driver in any case. My point is that once the 1st driver managed to pass, AND then crossing back across that highway, unnecessairly, just to get in front of the hothead cop, is an additional provocation.

You don't need to call people foolish to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte