Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,681 times

Advertisements

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you moving with family: what was the discussion with your spouse?

My husband wants to move, thinking it'll be cheaper to live in NC rather than CT. Just income tax and sales tax alone would be 5k more a year in Charlotte. Which would just offset the difference in property tax (assuming we don't downsize to a smaller house). I'd have to quit my job, with low probability of getting something similar pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamaLlama View Post
Thanks! Hopefully the schools are okay with walkthrough/tour.
yes they are MR middle gives them frequently however, you should call and ask a few days before, but it is during school hours.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogp12 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you moving with family: what was the discussion with your spouse?

My husband wants to move, thinking it'll be cheaper to live in NC rather than CT. Just income tax and sales tax alone would be 5k more a year in Charlotte. Which would just offset the difference in property tax (assuming we don't downsize to a smaller house). I'd have to quit my job, with low probability of getting something similar pay.
can you tell us what kind of work you do?

I know 2 families that were relocated last year from Connecticut, they are extremely happy down here and glad they made the switch. Their children go to school with my older child.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
can you tell us what kind of work you do?
I'm also in the insurance industry. At any other insurance company, my pay grade would be expected to work lots of overtime. I work only 40hrs a week, with lots of flexibility to work at home when the kids are sick. In fact, my current schedule is 7-8:10am at home, 9 to 4ish in the office. This allows me to drop off and pick up the kids from daycare, cook them dinner rather than get McD's, and get them to bed at a reasonable hour. My husband's lucky to get home by 7pm!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 38,677 times
Quote:

Check out salary.com I think it is. It shows comparable salaries and cost of living differential. For us, prop tax alone would be approx 5k less in NC. And we would also save 12k-15k a year of private school for three kids since we would use their public schools.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Another thing to think about are the excellent public universities in NC.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Another thing to think about are the excellent public universities in NC.
true, and they are a good deal compared to many others nationwide. For those with high school aged they should keep this in consideration too.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
this made renting for us next to impossible, but with enough research before we moved them it worked out fine for us. It is possible to know what you want if you know what you want in a school, and a neighborhood where there are plenty of kids their ages outside or out and about.
This kids walking around and families out and about was a big thing we looked for in a neighborhood so we would purchase in a family friendly area. We actually discarded some areas where we saw no one at all outside over several visits during good weather, for example. That was not the only factor but a big one for us.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
This kids walking around and families out and about was a big thing we looked for in a neighborhood so we would purchase in a family friendly area. We actually discarded some areas where we saw no one at all outside over several visits during good weather, for example. That was not the only factor but a big one for us.
exactly what we did!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM

18 posts, read 47,082 times
Quote:

Ogp12 - you are definitely not high jacking this thread.....I set it up for all of us Met employees to post their questions....in all actuallity - it should be a sticky..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte