U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,671,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
They didn't tax food in NJ. + I only know what I've shopped at for 10 yrs +. Shop Rite was a big grocery store and their prices on many items were/are cheaper than Walmart.

ShopRite of Oakland Circulars

In terms of prices, yes it is much more expensive here, but I've scoped out where I can get pretty good deals here.

The one thing I like about grocery shopping here is taht the grocery stores are hardly ever crowded....if you went on a Sat or Sunday morning up north, fuggedaboudit......
Couponjack - Notice how many pages there are in the ShopRite Ad? The Food Lion ad seems tiny compared to it. The ShopRite ad is nearly as thick as the Charlotte Observer! LOL In general, food prices here are higher (even if you negate the NC tax on food) than they were for what my shopping basket would consist of. That being said, with careful shopping, one can minimize the damage and I've come across a few items that are consistantly cheaper in NC than they are in NJ.

Note to native NCers: The day that food is ever taxed in NJ, you will see politicians hung on the steps of the state capital. There was a former Governor (Jim Florio) who, while raising the sales tax to 7%, proposed taxing food, clothes ( another item not taxed in NJ) and a few items deemed "necessities" that were never taxed such as "toilet paper" and "soap". Needless to say, he ended up being a one-term governor with his campaign ending up in the "toilet"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM

21,883 posts, read 27,151,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Couponjack - Notice how many pages there are in the ShopRite Ad? The Food Lion ad seems tiny compared to it. The ShopRite ad is nearly as thick as the Charlotte Observer! LOL In general, food prices here are higher (even if you negate the NC tax on food) than they were for what my shopping basket would consist of. That being said, with careful shopping, one can minimize the damage and I've come across a few items that are consistantly cheaper in NC than they are in NJ.

Note to native NCers: The day that food is ever taxed in NJ, you will see politicians hung on the steps of the state capital. There was a former Governor (Jim Florio) who, while raising the sales tax to 7%, proposed taxing food, clothes ( another item not taxed in NJ) and a few items deemed "necessities" that were never taxed such as "toilet paper" and "soap". Needless to say, he ended up being a one-term governor with his campaign ending up in the "toilet"!
LOL, Emissary, Florio can't ge elected as a dog-catcher now. Of course the real mess with the state budget traces to Christy Whitman's tax cuts.

I'm actually OK with Ingles. I would be upset if it wasn't here & I was just stuck with Food Lion, though.

I feel like I've found my "new Pathmark".

Welcome to Pathmark

Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies

I've been in the Aldis out here & they are just fine. I'll just drive to South Charlotte occasionally for Trader Joe's

Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Emissary, Florio can't ge elected as a dog-catcher now. Of course the real mess with the state budget traces to Christy Whitman's tax cuts.

I'm actually OK with Ingles. I would be upset if it wasn't here & I was just stuck with Food Lion, though.

I feel like I've found my "new Pathmark".

Welcome to Pathmark

Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies

I've been in the Aldis out here & they are just fine. I'll just drive to South Charlotte occasionally for Trader Joe's
sb - How true! Once she cut the state income tax, property taxes skyrocketed! We certainly had some "winners" back in NJ! No matter what party was in power, you got scru-ed!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
sb - How true! Once she cut the state income tax, property taxes skyrocketed! We certainly had some "winners" back in NJ! No matter what party was in power, you got scru-ed!
Sure did! 3 in a row.

Compare the Ingles & Pathmark flyers, Emissary. While some things are still higher here, the difference is definitely blunted with the Ingles prices, especially because they have widespread storebrands.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Sure did! 3 in a row.

Compare the Ingles & Pathmark flyers, Emissary. While some things are still higher here, the difference is definitely blunted with the Ingles prices, especially because they have widespread storebrands.
That's the one thing ShopRite and Pathmark seem to have over Food Lion and Harris Teeter. SR and Pathmark seem to have a lot more "house-brand products, both food and non-food items than FL and HT.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Well, I never understood why groceries get taxed. It is not like people can do without food.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I never understood why groceries get taxed. It is not like people can do without food.
ani - and let's not forget about the soap and toilet paper either. Hardly items you'd want to skip!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
That's the one thing ShopRite and Pathmark seem to have over Food Lion and Harris Teeter. SR and Pathmark seem to have a lot more "house-brand products, both food and non-food items than FL and HT.
Ingles house brand is Laura Lynn. I swear that the Laura Lynn blue cheese salad dressing is the same that is sold as Pathmark brand. I've also gotten the Laura Lynn kleenex & it's just as good as Pathmark brand. So far, every housebrand item at Ingles is as good as Pathmark's. Ingles also has a huge quantity of housebrand items. Good housebrand items can save a ton of money.

I know it's a far drive, (but closer than Jersey) but if you decide to venture in this direction, plan a stop at Ingles (I can only vouch for the Kings Mountain store) but it is every bit as big as a NJ supermarket. The Food Lions in town could fit in the Ingles & I swear there would be room to spare.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ani, apparently one of the biggest differences between NJ & NC is, as Emissary alluded to, the Jersey lynch mob if what is deemed a necessity is taxed.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,948,774 times
Quote:
Ingles house brand is Laura Lynn. I swear that the Laura Lynn blue cheese salad dressing is the same that is sold as Pathmark brand. I've also gotten the Laura Lynn kleenex & it's just as good as Pathmark brand. So far, every housebrand item at Ingles is as good as Pathmark's. Ingles also has a huge quantity of housebrand items. Good housebrand items can save a ton of money.
The grocery store doesn't actually make the grocery store brand. Most are just repackaged national brands with a Food Lion or Laura Lynn or whatever else logo. Some companies such as the Snack Alliance Inc. make all the generic chips and snack foods for Food Lion, Ingles, Wal-Mart, etc They just change the label so usually the generics at Ingles are the same as the ones at Pathmark which are the same as they have at Food Lion. I usually always buy the store brand when I can except for a few things that I want in a specific brand.

TE, one thing I've noticed at least at Food Lion is that they've started giving their store brands other names. Anything in Food Lion that's labeled as a brand of Healthy Accents, Home 360, Nature's Place, Smart Option, On the Go Bistro, and Taste Inspirations, are all Food Lion brands. It's becoming more and more common to make people think they're not getting the cheapo generic brand. So it may just seem like Pathmark and ShopRite have more house brands because they just don't use multiple house brand names.

Last edited by Trevor92; 01-19-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: more details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte