Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times

Advertisements

Depending on when people relocated to Charlotte, will go a long ways in determining why you think prices are higher here vrs somewhere else. The price of groceries has exploded lately and if you were to check the prices of groceries at your hometown store today, I think you'll find that prices are similar to NC prices.

The recent upsurge is in direct relation to higher commodity-costs. Wheat is up 66%; Dairy is up 56%; Coffee up 13%. Costs are higher this year due because of crop disease, weather, animal feed costs and a rise in international demand for commodities.

The people who pointed-out the various price differences between local chains is correct - it's pretty consistent that Harris Teeter is the highest and Walmart is the lowest. HT has the highest margins in town, but they also provide a superior shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 119,674 times
Rich people want all the poor people to die so they can be even richer. Rich people dont eat , they smoke crack to stay skinny. Who knows? All the things that are neccesities are high.. you know : Doctor visits, insurance, food, rent, prices of homes and land, medicine, glasses, clothes, gas. Need I go on? Ink pens are still cheap. We dont need those though, my belly wont growl if I dont have an ink pen. The man is out to get us.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 119,674 times
Everyone always says that. You know that wont happen. They will just join in on the price gouge.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:49 PM

92 posts, read 317,899 times
Default I love it..

Georgia...You're opinion is exactly what this country needs to keep us free. It was harsh and to the point. Not that I think the rich want the rest to starve or have medical help, but the price tag is high for the poor and I get your point. Seriously.

Thank you for posting.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:04 PM

118 posts, read 518,905 times
There must not be cows in Colorado either. $4 a gallon here as well. menu planning along with coupon clipping helps also. Thank goodness winter is coming nad with it soup and hot-dish season. I save everything in zip-locks and clean out the freezer once a month. That last serving of veggies no one would eat fills the soup pot, and the last spoonful of mashed potatoes make a good thickener for the same soup pot. The heels of bread, dried and seasoned, make great bread crumbs at almost no cost over buying prepackaged crumbs. Every little bit helps. I have found one chicken breast can feed both of my teen-aged boys if diced and used in a casserole. (lots of beans and rice for filler)

Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 PM

92 posts, read 317,899 times
Hot soups are awesome in the rainy winter months...or snowy winter months.

Okay, I'm posting a recipe for a common soup...If you know it just ignore it...If you don't, cook it and enjoy..

Green Beans, Ham and Taters....

Take a 5 qt pot, fill it with water

add 3 ham hocks

1 diced onion

enough green beans to your liking....(If you are using canned beans add them about 3 hours from now....if frozen green beans are used, add them now...at the beginning.

Salt and pepper to your taste...easy on the salt though...you can add more later if need be...

heat all this to boiling, reduce to low/medium and simmer all day (8 hours) lid on if it looks good, lid off if you need to reduce the liquid.

The last half an hour of cooking, add your potatos. They can be halved or quartered russet or white...although I personally love adding 2 large cans of drained whole white potatos.

It's good, you should have reduced enough liquid while cooking to make a nice thick soup that lasts for a couple days at least...

serve with buttered bread....

A tip, If you happen to have had the grocery store butcher slice up some fatty ham, throw that in your soup in the beginning, the fat melts down and gives it an unbelieveably awesome, thick, cold curing flavor.

Ham hocks I expect to go the way of chicken wings one day...a leftover part at 25 cents a pound until the guys from Buffalo get ahold of 'em and jack the price up

Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
How are the price's at Trader Joes? I find some excellent deals at the one here , and I know Charlotte has them now, how do they compare price-wise to HT?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 AM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
And tell me where the coupons are...I don't subscribe to the observer...there has to be other places to get the really good coupon ads...I know the internet, but I miss getting the free local paper and they gave you the coupons anyway!!!!

Puhlease....wimper, sad eyes, please...)
I sent you a PM

Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
As one poster said...once they shopped in CA they no longer say the prices are high in other states. As I was reading this thread I couldn't understand why people were saying the grocery prices in NC were so high. I thought they were pretty reasonable. It was a nice suprise. Although far from cheap they are less then CA. Just for instance, in CA I would buy "Coffee-Mate" from the refridgerator section and it cost aprox. $5.85 for the large bottle. Here I can get 2 for $5.00 when they are on sale. I was amazed. The large bags of the kind of dry cat food in CA. I bought were $12.98 a bag-----here they are aprox. $9.95 a bag. I'm sure there are certain items that cost as much here but so far most items seem to be quite a bit less. I guess that it is good I have moved from where it was more expensive because now I can feel good about the cost of certain items here!!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I'd really like to know why milk is sooooo expensive. $4 a gallon? Are there no cows in NC?
North Carolina's dairy industry is dying as a result of increased production and fuel costs, interstate dairy competition and a shortage of young farmers willing to carry on the state's dairy tradition. North Carolina lost an additional 25 dairy farms during the past year, which resulted in a decrease from 365 to 340 farms. North Carolina is dairy deficient, and thus, depends on milk and dairy products from other states to adequately meet the demand. In 2005, Iredell, Randolph and Alleghany were the state's top three dairy counties, although all three lost hundreds of dairy cows last year as farm numbers continued to drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte