Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a link to the Charlotte & Mecklenburg County Government Website where you can get more inforamtion about purchasing a rain barrel!

Rain Barrels (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/StormWater/Storm+Drain/Rain+Barrels.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a link to the Charlotte & Mecklenburg County Government Website where you can get more inforamtion about purchasing a rain barrel!

Rain Barrels (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/StormWater/Storm+Drain/Rain+Barrels.htm - broken link)

I got laughed at by someone on this forum a couple of months ago suggesting these...I think they are a super idea for shrubs, plants, bushes, etc....it will pay for itself over time and is good for the cause..

Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,662,844 times
I have been thinking about these a lot lately. Carolina Gardner on 1110am gave me the idea a couple months ago. Thanks for this information, I'm likely going to purchase one!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM

149 posts, read 535,814 times
Coupon Jack, it was probably your post that I read and decided to buy one, thanks!

Google and you may find better deals. I found a site that offers free shipping, and they are a little more attractive than the ones offered by the county. We're trying to do all we can to conserve water, and rain barrels are a great idea.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,698 times
Default Rmaria

You mentioned you found free shipping for rain barrels. Could you share the web site. Thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Can they still be ordered?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 15,204 times
You can make one too. I got a $20 garbage can from a Home center and hooked it up to my sheds gutter downspout. Then I connected a second one to the first one with a over flow hose. The fittings are easy to install. A 3/4" threaded spout is installed in a 1" hole and siliconed then slip a nut on the threaded end on the inside. I stretched a window screen over the top and the lid keeps it in place. Cut the down spout and install a flexible downspout extension into the lid. Set it on a couple of concrete blocks and hook up a soaker hose to my veggie garden. I have two 40gal barrells coming off each gutter. They make food grade barrels but it isn't reccomended to try to treat rain water for drinking. I have more extensive instructions. One of my spouts is a plastic 3/4" water cut off for a sink.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Default Thanks for info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Green Energy View Post
You can make one too. I got a $20 garbage can from a Home center and hooked it up to my sheds gutter downspout. Then I connected a second one to the first one with a over flow hose. The fittings are easy to install. A 3/4" threaded spout is installed in a 1" hole and siliconed then slip a nut on the threaded end on the inside. I stretched a window screen over the top and the lid keeps it in place. Cut the down spout and install a flexible downspout extension into the lid. Set it on a couple of concrete blocks and hook up a soaker hose to my veggie garden. I have two 40gal barrells coming off each gutter. They make food grade barrels but it isn't reccomended to try to treat rain water for drinking. I have more extensive instructions. One of my spouts is a plastic 3/4" water cut off for a sink.
My grandparents always had rain barrels - they make sense to me. I made one back in the 70s. I think I got the directions from Mother Earth News "way back then."

Your construction sounds very workable. Guess I have another project to tackle, LOL! Thanks for the instructions!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
I mentioned Mother Earth News . . . I found this short article on elevating your rain barrel in order to create more pressure to easily water your garden.

Harvest Rainwater and Save Big

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,992,129 times
Default Useless but interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I mentioned Mother Earth News . . . I found this short article on elevating your rain barrel in order to create more pressure to easily water your garden.

Harvest Rainwater and Save Big
Not that it matters, but decades ago, Mother Earth News was a NC based publication from the little town of Hendersonville near Asheville.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-03-2008 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte