Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times

Advertisements

I think there should be a concern whenever yearly losses exceeds the total market cap for a company by a significant margin. This is new territory for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
I would not invest in this company. However, looking at one quarter is not the best way to analyze a company. Again, I would not invest in Chiquita but posting the headline without much explanation is not 100% transparent with what the earnings mean.

Also, not sure what relevance the incentives are to earnings. If cash was paid upfront to the company, that is one thing, anyone famiar with how incentives were structured?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Also, not sure what relevance the incentives are to earnings. If cash was paid upfront to the company, that is one thing, anyone famiar with how incentives were structured?
The obvious concern should be the payment of incentives to a company and then said company goes bankrupt. The taxpayers end up getting rooked.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The obvious concern should be the payment of incentives to a company and then said company goes bankrupt. The taxpayers end up getting rooked.
That is why I asked how the incentives are structured. If we gave $22m upfront in cash, I would agree but, I don't think many incenTives are written like that. In most cases, they are staggered or are tax rebates/credits. If that is the case, then it is a different story.

I think there should be some clarification on how incentives were provided to fully understand the risk. That is something you will not get in a headline.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Maybe, the accountants and senior management slipped on banana peels and hit their heads!

Remember their little song ...here's some updated lyrics!

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I'm here to say
If you want to lose some money here's an easy way
Just peel a banana and put it on the floor
And watch your CEO flying through the door ...cha cha cha."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: