Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Nobody in CLT will care what race or culture you are from unless you make an issue out of it.
Agree with this, but one could argue that there is a lack of racial diversity in Charlotte as a whole, as 80% of the population is either white or black.

IMO, the University area is one of the most diverse areas of Charlotte, but the schools are not the greatest and the commute to Ballantyne may not be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,942,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree with this, but one could argue that there is a lack of racial diversity in Charlotte as a whole, as 80% of the population is either white or black.
I think one has to define what "racial diversity" means before they can draw such conclusions. No matter, it really doesn't apply to the OP's question or my response anyway.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM

I agree, a lot of people have different definitions of diversity.

It is certainly relevant to the OP though, as if their definition of diversity is a number of different races being well represented, then there are not many areas of Charlotte that fit that description.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I
It is certainly relevant to the OP though, as if their definition of diversity is a number of different races being well represented, then there are not many areas of Charlotte that fit that description.
The OP asked about cultural diversity. Even within races there there is a great deal of diversity. Hence whether a place is 80% White/Black is completely irrelevant. Charlotte has close to 800,000 people if it hasn't already exceeded the number. I find that such mass generalizations, i.e. lack of diversity, about such a large number of people often wrong and hence meaningless.

Where you will be least likely to find much cultural diversity are in the large planned communities that hug the county line. The word "planned" ought to be a clue to this.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The OP asked about cultural diversity. Even within races there there is a great deal of diversity. Hence whether a place is 80% White/Black is completely irrelevant. Charlotte has close to 800,000 people if it hasn't already exceeded the number. I find that such mass generalizations, i.e. lack of diversity, about such a large number of people often wrong and hence meaningless.

Where you will be least likely to find much cultural diversity are in the large planned communities that hug the county line. The word "planned" ought to be a clue to this.
I don't know what the OP's definition of cultural diversity is, and I never said I did. But since OP specifically mentioned hers and her husband's races immediately after disclosing that she was looking for a culturally diverse area, I have to think that race is a factor in what she deems culturally diverse. I would say there is certainly an element of cultural diversity throughout the entire Charlotte area, including the suburbs, due to the large number of transplants that come from all over the world.

Regardless, I stand by my statement that in my opinion, the University area is one of, if not the most diverse area in Charlotte, even though it is probably not considered an inner city neighborhood and hugs the county line.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Regardless, I stand by my statement that in my opinion, the University area is one of, if not the most diverse area in Charlotte, even though it is probably not considered an inner city neighborhood and hugs the county line.
There is no need to tell me this. I'm not looking for a place to buy.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 19,590 times
i appreciate your response gophils and frewroad... to be bring some clarity to my definiton of "culturally diverse"... both among races and within a specific race are important to me. but of course because of our family makeup the former is what i meant in my original post. I get that the cities will have more diversity but because we will most likely be living in a suburban area I was curious to see if there was one county that was more diverse than another...another response i received confirmed for me that yes, the elementary school i am looking into did have more of a diverse population compared to others...just trying to narrow things down. cheers

Last edited by alg75; 03-18-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,732 times
Default Hampton Village Apartments Concorde North Carolina

Can anyone tell me the reputation of these apartments, the location, elementary schools and about Concorde please? Moving from NJ, thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,160,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
Some of my MetLife relocating friends w/ kids are considering this same area, so I'm curious about the Providence Springs community, too, and what's all about. A lot of people want a nice family community with a short commute to Ballantyne, if that's possible.

Our office provided us with some crime stats for Charlotte and many people are a bit nervous, especially since crime seems higher (per capita) than where we are in the Northeast, but it certainly depends on the area.
According to the news we hear, MetLife hasn't settled on a building yet, but strong rumors show one of the new buildings in Ballantyne.

I'd let your MetLife compadres know that they should also look across the county line to Union County, as some of the best schools in the state are on both sides of that county line. The taxes will probably be a bit lower on the Union County side as well. The county line is only about a ten minute drive southeast of the Ballantyne location, down Rea Road.

You may also want to look in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area of South Carolina for the Fort Mill school district. Some people on here may disagree with me, but I'd stay away from the Indian LAND school district in South Carolina, which is directly south of Ballantyne. (I emphasize LAND so as not to confuse it with Indian TRAIL North Carolina, which is also a fine place to live).

Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 AM

328 posts, read 613,370 times
@robink37 - I would be happy to share some information about Concord (and I'm sure many others in this forum would as well), but I don't want to take the thread away from the OP's topic. You should start a Concord thread - I think you'd get a lot of info! Or feel free to message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte