U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 PM

311 posts, read 646,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2STAY View Post
it's me again! i know, you all think i am physco posting all this stuff, it is like my own person thread, but listen thread member "BarbaraNJ" sent me a private e-mail i realy feel i must answer on here, babs... i hope you don't mind but i you are going to live vicariously throught me, ya godda live life on the edge and not hide behind the private e-mail scene. now with that said, babs said she and her family would like to come down to nc, but doesn't want to without a job. she said her and her hubby have looke me and but have been unsuccessful. babs wnated to know what me and my hubby did. well, we talked about what we did as far as our line of work and we felt wht we did, we could do anywhere. i was an executive secretary and my husband was a finance manger for a car dealership, these jobs are easily replaceable. i am now with one of the banks and my hubby is working on one of the "car dealership rows" called independance blvd. work was something we did worry about somewhat, but we just know it would work out somehow - we had to make it work. one thing i will say though, is that most places down here are more apt. to choosing a candidate who lives here already than have to eal with someone relocating. i mean when you think about, it does make sence for a company to hire bob smith or joe blow who live here than someone looking to relocate who may accpt a job, if it still offered, but may take another positionbecasue they are still looking. did i explain myself okay? do ya know what i mean jellybean? so... babsnj... what do you and your hubby do for a living?
NC2STAY you are too funny! Thanks for your response. I actually do not work out of the home anymore, stopped 11 years ago when my daughter was 5. My husband is in Human Resources, has been for 25 years. Unfortunately even though he is willing to take a position lower than what he currently has prospective employers do not seem to agree to that. Because we now have college looming over us in 1 1/2 years we cannot just move without a job. Too scary. We will have to just keep saying our prayers. Good luck to you. Much happiness and good health in your new lives.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 03:48 PM

647 posts, read 2,333,986 times
Hi!
I sent you a message but figured I'd ask here to cover my bases...

We're relocating to NC from Northern VA (via a 3 yr stop in Phoenix) and I'm interested in contacting your agent. It sounds like he helped yall out a lot and we've learned, after many moves, that a good agent is priceless. It'd be great if you'd post, or email me, his contact info.

Thanks! And thanks so much for all the info you've posted! It's really helpful, and your enthusiasm is really contagious!! You make me want to pack up and move to Charlotte this afternoon!!

Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM

98 posts, read 725,130 times
thanks lisa, aka boatdrinks! i pm-ed ya, go check it out.

(ahhh.. i will not ask how ya came up with that name, i am just a perv at heart).

i can't help but to be enthusiastic, i am just like that. i'll say it again, people helped me when i was thinking about moving when i was in the same "boat" as you, i just want to do my part. it makes me really happy when i hear that i have helped someone in some SMALL way in thier decision making process whether it's, "hell no we won't go!" -or- "nc is for me!"... it's all good.

i just hope that everyone realizes, yes, for some of us it is a better life, but it is after all life. how do i explain (think, think, think) okay, i got it. i hope people do not think by coming here they will be living in a utopian world (even though i feel that way sometimes, lol!!) seriously though, when i say "but it is after all life" my hubby and i still both work very hard and with a bigger house there is more housework and with a bigger yard, more yard work. i guess it all depends on what you want. for us, the yard work is fun because it is soooo worth it to have such a nice piece of property and the housework, to me it is the same except for the fact that instead of everyone piling there stuff up, they have more room to spread there junk out in, lol!!!

in the end it is all worth it though... how do i know this? it is the little trail of clues i follow that i swear i think God leaves for my family and i, like when we watch the same huge herin fly in every morning to take a dip in our pond, or when the doorbell rings and it is a group of children, the same age as our son, asking him if HE wants to come out and play, or like when we are taking a walk at night to the 350 year old oak tree located in the heart of our development and we all look up into the night sky and see so many stars, more stars than we ever saw in our lives... we know in our hearts we have done the right thing... and do you know how else we know this... because it is all reflected in our son's eyes every day! he is getting more out of life here, than he ever would have back in ny and for just that alone it was wroth the move and we are greatful and humbled at the same time.

well, enough sappy stuff for one night, right!

good night ya'll.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 PM

hey... i just thought of something... ahhh, i guess i am not asleep yet huh?

anyhoo, i never realy budgeted my money in ny, we made enought and had a low mortgage so e coulddo what we want. here, in nc, i need to make a buget until we are financialy were we want to be. once i get that up and runnig i will try to remember to post my bills.

so far, hat i do know is with windstream i pay about $115 or $125 for inernext, cable and phone - unlimited local and long distance thank you very much - with relatives in ny and the way that i talk... ayyy-ooohhh fo-r-ged a-bow-dit!!

let's see... water is not to bad, not what i thought! people here tell me all the time they have like $300, $400 + water bills... what the hell are they doing, piping it to a 3rd world country or something - i dont' get it? my last water bill, i.e. septemer, was i think around $85. we think it is because we do not use the dishwasher ritually every day for every meal like everyone else here, lol! last month we got sod (a gift from centex) and e ha a couple of irrigation issues so we shall see what that bill is.

electric and gas are both not to bad either. i think gas is more, i am not sure.

my hoa are around $415/$515a year, i can't remeber and my taxes this year are only like $2000 or something because it was an empty lot for 1/2 the year. they will go up next ear but say not by much. hey... who are "they" any way?

okay, enough said. good night again.

hey maryane, you gettin' all t

Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM

hey... here is a quote i took off another thread i posted.

there is no stoppin' me tonight geeeze!

this is in response to the posted question, "has anyone used pods?" or somethin' like that. i just thought it would be good to bring this kinda question up.

"i too had too much stuff for pods and it was not cost effective. we packed so much that we filled one truck to capacity and another almost to capacity. i packed big! i have many breakable things so i pack 'em real carefuly. many boxes only had one or two items in it. i reseached many movers and i interviewed 6 of them. i found united to be the best. the best in re: they bomb their trucks after every delivery completion, the best in re: insurance, the best in re: the quality of workmanship, i.e. they put runners down in your new and old house, banister protectors, etc. we all included in the price, the best re: the thickness and density of the padding they were giong to use, etc. overall the rep. had the best presentation package and came well prepared. hope this helps!"

anybody have any good moving tips? ...or stories?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,650 times
I am originally from Nassau County in NY. I now live in Virginia Beach but have been thinking about relocating to Charlotte. I've researched the area via the internet and from what I've learned, they rank above the national average for crime. I also noticed there's a lot of vandalism, residential burglary and auto theft. Coming from pretty safe neighborhoods in NY & VA, I would like to move to a safe neighborhood in NC as well. Can anyone suggest some pretty decent neighborhoods there? Also, any information on the job market there?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2VA?NC View Post
I am originally from Nassau County in NY. I now live in Virginia Beach but have been thinking about relocating to Charlotte. I've researched the area via the internet and from what I've learned, they rank above the national average for crime. I also noticed there's a lot of vandalism, residential burglary and auto theft. Coming from pretty safe neighborhoods in NY & VA, I would like to move to a safe neighborhood in NC as well. Can anyone suggest some pretty decent neighborhoods there? Also, any information on the job market there?
I feel like a broken record Depends on how much you can spend on housing and what type of job you would be looking for.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Default possibly moving to Charlotte area in Spring 07

My husband and I are considering a move to the Charlotte area in late Spring of next year. We would be moving so that he can train (for swimming) at Mecklenberg Aquatics at a pool in Huntersville. I'm guessing I will work in downtown or uptown (whatever it is called). I have degrees in architecture and interior architecture. We were wanting some advice as to neighborhoods either between the two or closer to Huntersville. What is the commute like from Huntersville to Charlotte in rush hour? We don't have any children and will probably only be in living there for 3-4 years, so school districts aren't really a concern unless it will affect resale. We are newlyweds and first time homebuyers. How hard is it to get a loan there if you are moving from out-of-state? We are looking to stay under $150,000. What would taxes/closing costs be like on that amount? What is the northwest and northeast area of Charlotte like? We have been looking up houses in those areas and have found that there are plenty in our price range but wonder how hard it would be to resale in a few years. Are these areas desirable? The area right around Northlake Mall seems to be a good location on the map, but what is it like as far as schools, traffic, grocery stores, etc. ? We are also open to older neighborhoods with houses that need a little TLC if there is any of that going on in certain neighborhoods. We hope to make our first trip up to Charlotte in December and would love to have a list of neighborhoods to check out.
Thank you so much to anyone that can answer any of our questions!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 AM

77 posts, read 282,368 times
Hi,
I live in Baltimore and my wife and I (age 50) are moving to the Charlotte area summer of 2007. I too have done a ton of research so far. I have had many people tell us to move to the northern SC area (Tega Cay, Fort Mill) b/c it is cheaper there and still has good schools (are kids are grown but for resale value of the house). We are looking for a 3 BR house 1500-2000 sq/ft under $250K. What did you find out about this area that persuaded you not to move there. Thanks for any help!!! We are coming to the area this weekend to take our first looks.
Jay and Maryanne

Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM

13 posts, read 40,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulgahl View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to the Charlotte area in late Spring of next year. We would be moving so that he can train (for swimming) at Mecklenberg Aquatics at a pool in Huntersville. I'm guessing I will work in downtown or uptown (whatever it is called). I have degrees in architecture and interior architecture. We were wanting some advice as to neighborhoods either between the two or closer to Huntersville. What is the commute like from Huntersville to Charlotte in rush hour? We don't have any children and will probably only be in living there for 3-4 years, so school districts aren't really a concern unless it will affect resale. We are newlyweds and first time homebuyers. How hard is it to get a loan there if you are moving from out-of-state? We are looking to stay under $150,000. What would taxes/closing costs be like on that amount? What is the northwest and northeast area of Charlotte like? We have been looking up houses in those areas and have found that there are plenty in our price range but wonder how hard it would be to resale in a few years. Are these areas desirable? The area right around Northlake Mall seems to be a good location on the map, but what is it like as far as schools, traffic, grocery stores, etc. ? We are also open to older neighborhoods with houses that need a little TLC if there is any of that going on in certain neighborhoods. We hope to make our first trip up to Charlotte in December and would love to have a list of neighborhoods to check out.
Thank you so much to anyone that can answer any of our questions!
-What is the commute like from Huntersville to Charlotte in rush hour?
You would be going with traffic and could get stuck on I-77. Say no more than 30 min.

-How hard is it to get a loan there if you are moving from out-of-state?
It depends on if you have a job when you get here. Lenders always like to see their borrowers employed. If you are not employed but have a good credit score you shouldn't have a problem either.

-We are looking to stay under $150,000. What would taxes/closing costs be like on that amount?
Usually closing costs are about 3% of the sales price. Property taxes in Huntersville are $1.10 per $100 of assessed property value.

-What is the northwest and northeast area of Charlotte like?
Northwest Charlotte is close to the airport as well as the Catawba river. It has seen a lot growth in the last couple of years. But I don't think as much as Huntersville. Northwest has easy access to all major highways.
Northeast is close to the university and is getting built out fast.
I am not sure about the school district. But check out http://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch/ for school report cards.
Both areas have their pros and cons. How desired they are, is subjective.

-We have been looking up houses in those areas and have found that there are plenty in our price range but wonder how hard it would be to resale in a few years.
I feel it is harder to resell if the builder is still building in the community, since you are competing with their incentives. I believe it easier to sell in an established neighborhood. But you can not really generalize.

Hope this helped. Let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte