Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
When someone ask what you pay in property taxes, do you say I only pay to the city? No. You and Frew are slicing and dicing data to try so that your arguments are supported. Unfortunately, you are only including 1/3 of he total paid by the Panthers, this is Enron accounting and garbage as are the 1% comments. Fact is the team pays close to $2m in property taxes annually. If you believe you are paying too much, appeal you own real estate, that has nothing to do with the deal at hand.

Just curious, why do you spend so much time caring about what others make? Richardson's personal worth is absolutely noone's business. This deal is about what is good for Charlotte and NC. And, based on a review by a leading business school, it is $600m annually.
On one hand I can see why people would get frustrated over millionaires asking for incentives... but on the other we hear these same people defend the rich once we start talking about tax percentages and shelters.

When you look at the incentives other industrued get to move to Charlotte and the model thats in place for the other 31 teams you get a better understanding why this isnt a big deal. Most companies who move th Charlotte have the money to do it without tax incentives from the city and state. Obvkously these things are done because both parties are getting something out of the deal. We make a nice chunk off of the taxes from these players and from visiting teams. The tax game is set up where every player who steps foot in our stadium pays a tax. Drew Bress, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan all pay taxes to our city and state when they play in our stadium. That money adds up. 10 games... 53 players.. coaching staff, etc.. each game.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
... The tax game is set up where every player who steps foot in our stadium pays a tax...
What taxes?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
How many people as the city to give them 17X the property taxes paid? Your question is a non-sequitur? i.e. These are not analogs.

I simply listed the actual property tax data. There is nothing that can be twisted about that. When the real data is presented, I've noticed the corporate welfare to the Panthers either grow silent, ignore it or attempt to discredit it.
First you claim that the Panthers don't pay property tax, then when proven wrong, you dissect the numbers and add color to try and make a bogus claim. The fact is that he team pays tax close to $2m annually. Fact is they pay income tax and payroll taxes to NC as verified by a leading business school. And, as I have shown, the taxes paid are more than enough to provide them the needed $200m in city and state support. Combined with an annual $600m impact and the intangibles, you are not being realistic in assuming this is not good for Harlotte and NC. You can spin the rhetoric with "the 1%" and other slang terms but, that is just noisy garbage.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
When someone ask what you pay in property taxes, do you say I only pay to the city? No. You and Frew are slicing and dicing data to try so that your arguments are supported. Unfortunately, you are only including 1/3 of he total paid by the Panthers, this is Enron accounting and garbage as are the 1% comments. Fact is the team pays close to $2m in property taxes annually. If you believe you are paying too much, appeal you own real estate, that has nothing to do with the deal at hand.

Just curious, why do you spend so much time caring about what others make? Richardson's personal worth is absolutely noone's business. This deal is about what is good for Charlotte and NC. And, based on a review by a leading business school, it is $600m annually.

1. I have no clue what you mean about "slicing and dicing." Property taxes are public info and there is no fudging around or slicing and dicing. The tax records show what the Panthers organization is paying on the stadium. I don't know where your figures are coming from. This has nothing to do with what I pay in property taxes so why are you referring to my feelings about my property tax valuation? <puzzled>

2. I do not give a flip how much money anyone makes. I do, however, care about how tax dollars are spent. Our tax dollars are the basis for our budget. Every citizen has the right to scrutinize how tax dollars are being spent, especially in tough financial times when decisions have been made to let some projects fall by the wayside b/c of budget revenue limitations. Spending tax money so that a private organization does not have to invest their own profits in their own property is outrageous. That is my objection, and I have stated it at least a dozen times on this thread.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
First you claim that the Panthers don't pay property tax, ....
Please provide the quote where I have said this.

I really wish you would stop saying that I have said things that I have not.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What taxes?
It's actually called the jock tax

the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball -- have laws that require visiting athletes to pay state income tax for each game they play there.

53 players on a team... 10 games a year.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 04-10-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Please provide the quote where I have said this.

I really wish you would stop saying that I have said things that I have not.
he's probably talking about this

Quote:
The panthers are do not pay taxes on the land they are using and they use it rent free. There is no other corporation in this city that gets this kind of taxpayer deal.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
the tax on their game day check.
If they are a non-resident and being paid by a team in another state and are here for a performance, why would there be NC withholding on their check? I worked for a local corporation and traveled to many states on short temporary assignment (< 1 week) and if I never had tax imposed by the remote state. I seem to remember the limit being 30 days.

Furthermore, if there is a tax to be paid to NC, it's reduced by the amount paid to the party's home state.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
If they are a non-resident and being paid by a team in another state and are here for a performance, why would there be NC withholding on their check? I worked for a local corporation and traveled to many states on short temporary assignment (< 1 week) and if I never had tax imposed by the remote state. I seem to remember the limit being 30 days.

Furthermore, if there is a tax to be paid to NC, it's reduced by the amount paid to the party's home state.
LOL...You aren't a professional athlete. It's a special tax specifically for professional athletes.

Even though an athlete can live in TN, TX or Washington they still pay taxes in 12 to 20 states depending on the sport and the schedule.

When Alex Rodriguez played in Texas with a 250 mill contract he paid no income taxes in TX...but it is estimated that Alex Rodriguez paid $520,000 a year for state income taxes outside his own state...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
LOL...You aren't a professional athlete. It's a special tax specifically for professional athletes...
Can you point to the NC Statute that defines this tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte