U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 PM

23 posts, read 46,170 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking to communicate with other African American (or anyone who identifies themselves as African American) Lake Norman/Huntersville/Cornelius moms who have children ages 10 and under. I am just looking for someone to share parenting ideas with, hook up for coffee with, playdates..just general companionship. We don't have to rush out and get together right away - just chatting via the forum is good for now but eventually would like to form some friendships for whatever! Since I started this thread I will tell you a little about myself. I am a mother of 2 boys ages 8 and 5. I am married and I live in Huntersville, NC. I am a real estate agent (and no I am not trying to get your business!) I volunteer a lot at my children's schools. I LOVE my Starbucks! I am originally from Pittsburgh having moved here in 1994. I have a graduate degree in Social Work but left that profession about 2 years ago. I like to go the movies (find myself going alone most of the time when I want to see a grown up movie cause my husband works alot, I usually go when the kids are at school), I would love to be able to travel more --get a girls group together to go on a cruise or visit some foreign country. I love to read ANYTHING. I am a Christian but I don't attend church as often as I should. I love to learn about different religions, cultures...love that stuff. Right now I am very interested in learning more about Judaism. Ok, enough for now...would love to hear from you!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM

876 posts, read 3,481,855 times
check out lakenormanmommies.com, my wife is on that and has met a TON of moms in the Lake Norman area.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
check out lakenormanmommies.com, my wife is on that and has met a TON of moms in the Lake Norman area.
thanks, but I tried to go on their website and it seems you have to be a member already before you can check them out...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteHostess View Post
Hello! I am looking to communicate with other African American (or anyone who identifies themselves as African American) Lake Norman/Huntersville/Cornelius moms who have children ages 10 and under. I am just looking for someone to share parenting ideas with, hook up for coffee with, playdates..just general companionship. We don't have to rush out and get together right away - just chatting via the forum is good for now but eventually would like to form some friendships for whatever! Since I started this thread I will tell you a little about myself. I am a mother of 2 boys ages 8 and 5. I am married and I live in Huntersville, NC. I am a real estate agent (and no I am not trying to get your business!) I volunteer a lot at my children's schools. I LOVE my Starbucks! I am originally from Pittsburgh having moved here in 1994. I have a graduate degree in Social Work but left that profession about 2 years ago. I like to go the movies (find myself going alone most of the time when I want to see a grown up movie cause my husband works alot, I usually go when the kids are at school), I would love to be able to travel more --get a girls group together to go on a cruise or visit some foreign country. I love to read ANYTHING. I am a Christian but I don't attend church as often as I should. I love to learn about different religions, cultures...love that stuff. Right now I am very interested in learning more about Judaism. Ok, enough for now...would love to hear from you!
I can't help but wonder, suppose I started a thread titled "Any white moms in Huntersville or Cornelius" - Wouldn't that sound just a tad bit racist to you?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can't help but wonder, suppose I started a thread titled "Any white moms in Huntersville or Cornelius" - Wouldn't that sound just a tad bit racist to you?
Actually, yes, it would...and let me take a deep breath before I think about whether or not I want to even respond to your ignorant remark. SIGH! I am simply looking to connect to other AA moms in my area..because we have something in common...and guess what? That is not unusual or wrong to want to do that...what would be wrong is if I said something like "I want to connect to AA women only because I hate white people and I cannot stand them blah, blah, blah..." Let me say this tired, cliched remark here and now...I have white friends, 2 hispanic friends, 1 korean friend and several AA friends. So I am not racist. I just would like to connect and converse with other African American women who have a similar world view/perspective on parenting and other issues that - guess what - only WE share because WE are African American. It is not an attempt to hate on non-African American moms it is just the simple fact that people like to connect to other folks with whom they have common experiences. Now, I am sure that is not going to satisfy you but there is your answer. Take it or leave it and I am NOT going to get into these types of discussions again on this forum because THAT IS NOT WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD! If you don't like it go to another thread.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 PM

578 posts, read 2,352,977 times
Um, the difference is that white women form the majority around here, and don't have to seek out women of their own race. It's kind of why there's no NAAWP...don't really need one when you're in the majority!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteHostess View Post
Actually, yes, it would...and let me take a deep breath before I think about whether or not I want to even respond to your ignorant remark. SIGH! I am simply looking to connect to other AA moms in my area..because we have something in common...and guess what? That is not unusual or wrong to want to do that...what would be wrong is if I said something like "I want to connect to AA women only because I hate white people and I cannot stand them blah, blah, blah..." Let me say this tired, cliched remark here and now...I have white friends, 2 hispanic friends, 1 korean friend and several AA friends. So I am not racist. I just would like to connect and converse with other African American women who have a similar world view/perspective on parenting and other issues that - guess what - only WE share because WE are African American. It is not an attempt to hate on non-African American moms it is just the simple fact that people like to connect to other folks with whom they have common experiences. Now, I am sure that is not going to satisfy you but there is your answer. Take it or leave it and I am NOT going to get into these types of discussions again on this forum because THAT IS NOT WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD! If you don't like it go to another thread.

Woah, chill out - no one is trying to start a debate. It is just interesting to me that people of color can say these kinds of things, but a white person really can't - and you know that is true.

And frankly, this white person never would. Maybe as a white person I cannot fully appreciate what it is you have so in common with other black people to seek to socialize only with them. For me, it is enough that my friends and I all have the mom stuff, or marriage stuff in common - I cannot fathom needing only white friends to share that with. You know, white people are not all alike, just like black people are not all alike. Just because another person is white does not mean I will automatically like them or want to get together with them because we share the "white experience". I do not mean this in a critical way - but for me, race is NEVER a factor in who I choose to associate with. I know you said you have friends of other races - and I was certainly NOT calling you a racist - I was just saying that if I as a white person tried to talk like that I would be considered a racist.

I am not saying your feelings are not valid or even that they are wrong - I just don't understand them, that's all.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

153 posts, read 431,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have to say I was a little confused by the posting, too, actually. If you had said that you want to connect with other moms and included the fact that you are AA, I would be PMing you right now to get together because I love to meet other moms to share time, ideas, laughs, trials, and perspectives. And I love my Starbucks, too! But I guess I need not apply... Any way you look at it, calling out for friends of ONLY a certain color is in poor taste to say the least.

And, the ONLY mommy forums I will post to require membership (free) before you can read or post. That process involves them validating your name, address and phone number. If just anyone could go there and see everything, I would not consider it a safe place to open up and post about my life and my children. I would keep that in mind.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM

578 posts, read 2,352,977 times
I'm just curious if either of the above two posters have lived in a place where you're NOT in the majority? I do understand what you're saying, but would you have been offended if the OP had asked to hook up with some fellow Christians, or some fellow Jews, or some fellow Buddhists? What's the difference?

Now, I've never been to Huntersville, but it's certainly possible that the OP wanted to know if there ARE any, which is why I asked if you've ever lived in a place where NO ONE looks like you.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I'm just curious if either of the above two posters have lived in a place where you're NOT in the majority? I do understand what you're saying, but would you have been offended if the OP had asked to hook up with some fellow Christians, or some fellow Jews, or some fellow Buddhists? What's the difference?

Now, I've never been to Huntersville, but it's certainly possible that the OP wanted to know if there ARE any, which is why I asked if you've ever lived in a place where NO ONE looks like you.
No, I have not lived where as a white person I was in the minority - I have however lived where my religion was the minority, and yes that can be difficult - but I looked at it as an opportunity, didn't seek out others of my kind only.

I just think the problems with have with races getting along are going to take longer to overcome when we insist on continuing to look at a persons race as a criterian for socializing with them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or