U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 AM

543 posts, read 1,632,878 times

Advertisements

Alright, it's been a while since I've written anything other than an odd comment here and there but tonight, it's early and I have a buzz. What's that amount to you ask? A random and meaningless post on city-data.

I'm no Nate Davis but if I were to run of governer of my house I'd probably win. I know that the dogs, ferrets and bird would vote for me. Kids, probably not since I'm yelping at them all the time about something. Wife, definitely not, she doesn't like me anymore. But with all the votes tallied, between me and the pets, I'd win! I need to train the dogs to bite those that voted against me

Doesn't neccessarily mean that I'm a winner or can spell correctly but I'd still be gov of my palace. I always knew that my future looked bright, especially when I'm passed out in the street in front of the house and there's a car coming.

My post got off on a tangent as usual but with all the negative posts lately I was writing to say that it's actually been a year and a half since we've moved to Huntersville from MA and I've got to tell you, it was the best thing we ever did.

It's funny to read all the posts about food being expensive and traffic being so bad and wah wah wah. It's nothing like we had up north. 6k a year for taxes in the dumpy little town we lived in before. We had 1 grocery store that I wouldn't let my dogs run wild in and worst of all, the chinese food was horrible. We'd have to go downtown to Worcester to get decent food at Pings where you could get a good mai tai or 6 with a leisurely dinner. I'm not saying that chinese food or mai tais are better down here cause they are not but the taxes are cheaper.

I probably shouldn't say this out loud but everytime I look at my tax bill here I thinks it's a mistake and I waiting to get caught.

Let's face it, there are more places to eat at within 10 miles of my house than I could do in a year, there are scantily clad high school girls at birkdale everynight and I can get monthly prostate exams for only $20 each, what could be better?

-----

It really does take a certain type of personality to hang out here on city-data. My wife doesn't understand it and thinks I'm chatting with 13 year old girls from Iowa.
------

I remember when I was moving here. I needed encouragement and validation that I was doing the right thing. I posted question after question on here and got responses from positive folks but there were negative folks too. Anyone remember the guy from NY who couldn't wait to move back to NY after being here for 10 years? Can't remember his name at the moment and I don't think he's posted in a while. I truly hope he's made it back home and is happy.

The biggest difference that I can see here besides the climate, is how many hoa's there are compared to MA where I was never involved with one.

You get down here and it's HOA central. Lots of rules and regs but as much as you may whine and complain about the hoa you live in, you signed the doc and agreed to it before buying your house, so stop your yipping. Hopefully everyone received thier docs and was able to review them before closing??? What , you didn't?? Most 100+ page hoa docs show up with your closing package when you're overwhelmed and excited about moving. You'll sign just about anything at that point. If I only knew that I couldn't put a half planted bathtub with a Madonna statue in front yard....

HOA's and sub-divisions are almost cult like here and you'll find yourself wrapped up in your neighborhood and defending it against 'rival' neighborhoods all the time.

Sure the kids have friends in other nearby 'co-op' neighborhoods but they don't associate much with kids in rival hoods.

Sub divisions are like being part of a geriatric gang. Soccer moms running wild with mini-vans defending our turf against rival soccer moms from other neighborhoods. Dads are having internal mower wars seeing who can have the greenest front yard. I have on other occasions spilled my secret for a perfect bermuda lawn and here it is... Lol, just kidding, if I told you, I'd have to kill you...You can never trust your neighbors. LOL, figure it out.

You can even witness it here on city-data, when someone asks where they should live when relocating, everyone pipes up about thier hood and how it's the best. It's nothing more than recruiting more soccer mom gang members. They may seem like grocery toting, cell phone talking and house vacuuming citizens but think again... Pure Evil...

I've gotten tired of recruiting new members for our hood so I don't answer many messages anymore but I have in the past inspired a few people to move to our gang, er, I mean neighborhood. But they haven't gotten thier uniforms and swithblades yet. Blame the hoa, they say it isn't in the budget.

It was my understanding that all minivan owners in our hood would be issued neighborhood t-shirts, knives and a gps. It could be that I read the ccr's incorrectly in the 3 minutes I had to review them.

Talk about rivals and soccer moms? My son plays soccer at Strikers and the parents are viscous at the games. Kids get hurt and the other team cheers

I've found myself needing to take an extra xanax before going to game just to keep myself from tackling a loud mouth soccer mom from the other team who's repeatedly for yelling for 'Tanner', 'Connor' or 'Willow' to get the ball. No kidding huh?

I'd be in the paper for sure. "Drunk soccer dad tackles defenseless big mouth soccer mom". With my luck the paper would have a picture of me kneeling in front of my son tying his shoes and it being interpreted as something else... I'll end up in the cell next to Grubbs.

To end my rant-- Almost 18 months here, of course we miss our family and friend back home but it's all worth it. I still talk to my family every week and travel there a couple times a year to visit. I'm getting a Rosedale tattoo, right across the middle of my chest, so I can never leave now. Even if I move, I can never really leave.

If I did want to move, I couldn't, the nieghors would kill me, where else would they drink every weekend? I have a responsibility to keep our roads safe now and it should allow me a couple of extra votes at my next home election. I know that more people that visit my house, the more treats the dogs get and that is certainly worth extra votes.

Well, sorry to cut this short(say what??) but I have to write a strongly worded letter to 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' corporate and tell em what a horrid burger I had there tonight. Even though there was an ice cold beer in front of me, Jimmy was playing in the background and I was wearing a tropical type unstained shirt, I was not anticipating my cheeseburger in paradise to be a chesseburger in hockeypuckadise. I coulda over cooked a bubba burger at home. I'm gonna copy the White Star cruiseline also.

One last quick word of advice.. When you go out to dinner with 11 other people, bring cash and pay your share so you don't get shafted with the bill tonight like I did. Everyone was gonna get cash to reimburse me as soon as we left but my pockets are still empty $263.47 lesson learned for the last time. Well until next time anyway..

Last edited by Markh; 10-27-2007 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 AM

876 posts, read 3,481,188 times
great post, so when is the next dinner outing? LOL...

Old 10-27-2007, 03:06 AM

125 posts, read 341,826 times
Thumbs up Great Post!!!!

This was definitely the funniest, get off your high horse know-it-all, post and so refreshing to see! Felt like I was listening to my Dad after he got stuck with a dinner bill but enjoyed the beers. Love to have you over this way and we could swap soccer stories with baseball stories. Thanks for the laughs!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM

622 posts, read 1,583,536 times
Default Great Post

Here is an absentee ballot voting for you!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
The scantily-clad birkdale girls reference was a little creepy, but otherwise an entertaining post.
Oh boy, are you gonna have a hangover....

Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 AM

575 posts, read 1,349,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
The scantily-clad birkdale girls reference was a little creepy, but otherwise an entertaining post.
Oh boy, are you gonna have a hangover....
"and I can get monthly prostate exams for only $20 each, what could be better?" I THOUGHT THIS WAS EVEN MORE DISTURBING!. The poster who Markh was trying to remember was IMINFORMED, who would, at every chance say that Charlotte was over rated. He was home sick of upstate NY where he had family. I think his pain was the reason for cutting up Charlotte. I did on ocassion refer to him as UNIMFORMED

Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
"and I can get monthly prostate exams for only $20 each, what could be better?" I THOUGHT THIS WAS EVEN MORE DISTURBING!. The poster who Markh was trying to remember was IMINFORMED, who would, at every chance say that Charlotte was over rated. He was home sick of upstate NY where he had family. I think his pain was the reason for cutting up Charlotte. I did on ocassion refer to him as UNIMFORMED
OMG! I just "got" that prostate exam bit!?!?
Don't post when you're drunk! You'll regret it in the morning!
I remember "iminformed's" posts, they got on my nerves too!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,751,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
Alright, it's been a while since I've written anything other than an odd comment here and there but tonight, it's early and I have a buzz. What's that amount to you ask? A random and meaningless post on city-data.

I'm no Nate Davis but if I were to run of governer of my house I'd probably win. I know that the dogs, ferrets and bird would vote for me. Kids, probably not since I'm yelping at them all the time about something. Wife, definitely not, she doesn't like me anymore. But with all the votes tallied, between me and the pets, I'd win! I need to train the dogs to bite those that voted against me

Doesn't neccessarily mean that I'm a winner or can spell correctly but I'd still be gov of my palace. I always knew that my future looked bright, especially when I'm passed out in the street in front of the house and there's a car coming.

My post got off on a tangent as usual but with all the negative posts lately I was writing to say that it's actually been a year and a half since we've moved to Huntersville from MA and I've got to tell you, it was the best thing we ever did.

It's funny to read all the posts about food being expensive and traffic being so bad and wah wah wah. It's nothing like we had up north. 6k a year for taxes in the dumpy little town we lived in before. We had 1 grocery store that I wouldn't let my dogs run wild in and worst of all, the chinese food was horrible. We'd have to go downtown to Worcester to get decent food at Pings where you could get a good mai tai or 6 with a leisurely dinner. I'm not saying that chinese food or mai tais are better down here cause they are not but the taxes are cheaper.

I probably shouldn't say this out loud but everytime I look at my tax bill here I thinks it's a mistake and I waiting to get caught.

Let's face it, there are more places to eat at within 10 miles of my house than I could do in a year, there are scantily clad high school girls at birkdale everynight and I can get monthly prostate exams for only $20 each, what could be better?

-----

It really does take a certain type of personality to hang out here on city-data. My wife doesn't understand it and thinks I'm chatting with 13 year old girls from Iowa.
------

I remember when I was moving here. I needed encouragement and validation that I was doing the right thing. I posted question after question on here and got responses from positive folks but there were negative folks too. Anyone remember the guy from NY who couldn't wait to move back to NY after being here for 10 years? Can't remember his name at the moment and I don't think he's posted in a while. I truly hope he's made it back home and is happy.

The biggest difference that I can see here besides the climate, is how many hoa's there are compared to MA where I was never involved with one.

You get down here and it's HOA central. Lots of rules and regs but as much as you may whine and complain about the hoa you live in, you signed the doc and agreed to it before buying your house, so stop your yipping. Hopefully everyone received thier docs and was able to review them before closing??? What , you didn't?? Most 100+ page hoa docs show up with your closing package when you're overwhelmed and excited about moving. You'll sign just about anything at that point. If I only knew that I couldn't put a half planted bathtub with a Madonna statue in front yard....

HOA's and sub-divisions are almost cult like here and you'll find yourself wrapped up in your neighborhood and defending it against 'rival' neighborhoods all the time.

Sure the kids have friends in other nearby 'co-op' neighborhoods but they don't associate much with kids in rival hoods.

Sub divisions are like being part of a geriatric gang. Soccer moms running wild with mini-vans defending our turf against rival soccer moms from other neighborhoods. Dads are having internal mower wars seeing who can have the greenest front yard. I have on other occasions spilled my secret for a perfect bermuda lawn and here it is... Lol, just kidding, if I told you, I'd have to kill you...You can never trust your neighbors. LOL, figure it out.

You can even witness it here on city-data, when someone asks where they should live when relocating, everyone pipes up about thier hood and how it's the best. It's nothing more than recruiting more soccer mom gang members. They may seem like grocery toting, cell phone talking and house vacuuming citizens but think again... Pure Evil...

I've gotten tired of recruiting new members for our hood so I don't answer many messages anymore but I have in the past inspired a few people to move to our gang, er, I mean neighborhood. But they haven't gotten thier uniforms and swithblades yet. Blame the hoa, they say it isn't in the budget.

It was my understanding that all minivan owners in our hood would be issued neighborhood t-shirts, knives and a gps. It could be that I read the ccr's incorrectly in the 3 minutes I had to review them.

Talk about rivals and soccer moms? My son plays soccer at Strikers and the parents are viscous at the games. Kids get hurt and the other team cheers

I've found myself needing to take an extra xanax before going to game just to keep myself from tackling a loud mouth soccer mom from the other team who's repeatedly for yelling for 'Tanner', 'Connor' or 'Willow' to get the ball. No kidding huh?

I'd be in the paper for sure. "Drunk soccer dad tackles defenseless big mouth soccer mom". With my luck the paper would have a picture of me kneeling in front of my son tying his shoes and it being interpreted as something else... I'll end up in the cell next to Grubbs.

To end my rant-- Almost 18 months here, of course we miss our family and friend back home but it's all worth it. I still talk to my family every week and travel there a couple times a year to visit. I'm getting a Rosedale tattoo, right across the middle of my chest, so I can never leave now. Even if I move, I can never really leave.

If I did want to move, I couldn't, the nieghors would kill me, where else would they drink every weekend? I have a responsibility to keep our roads safe now and it should allow me a couple of extra votes at my next home election. I know that more people that visit my house, the more treats the dogs get and that is certainly worth extra votes.

Well, sorry to cut this short(say what??) but I have to write a strongly worded letter to 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' corporate and tell em what a horrid burger I had there tonight. Even though there was an ice cold beer in front of me, Jimmy was playing in the background and I was wearing a tropical type unstained shirt, I was not anticipating my cheeseburger in paradise to be a chesseburger in hockeypuckadise. I coulda over cooked a bubba burger at home. I'm gonna copy the White Star cruiseline also.

One last quick word of advice.. When you go out to dinner with 11 other people, bring cash and pay your share so you don't get shafted with the bill tonight like I did. Everyone was gonna get cash to reimburse me as soon as we left but my pockets are still empty $263.47 lesson learned for the last time. Well until next time anyway..
Mark, the kids sporting events, most are tranquil and it's all about "fun"...but some are down right viscious. Being that you're from MA you must remember all the "Hockey Dad" rage stories. I'll admit I hadn't to many soccer mom scenarios like that, but enough to say, yeah I know what you're talking about.

Also, dude, you really need to find some dinner friends who have money- if you paid all the time I'd love to tag along

Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,762,569 times
www.textpayme.com Sign everybody up for it who has a cell phone and a bank account.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,752,740 times
Mark once again Love your posts and look forward to them. Sometimes Im glad we arent friends with 11 couples..LOL. and boy do dh and I laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte