U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM

295 posts, read 453,259 times

Advertisements

Read through the past posts but since the really detailed ones are dated '2007' prior to the bust, wanted to find out how things have changed on ground after the recession

How do these areas compare against each other on the following parameters?

Our priorities are as follows:

1. Good school district
2. Great day care facilities or at home care
3. Demographics (younger families)
4. Career driven professionals who try and balance home/worklife (Since we will be facing similar challenges)
5. Monthly community activities
6. Volunteering events
7. Diversity

We want to get in, be a part of the community and make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,953,446 times
I'd say it hasn't changed much since '07 except the growth, thankfully, slowed down a lot .

Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks Frewroad...which one would you choose and why? If you are already living in one of the two areas, even better.

We are still contemplating the move, the other option is Ashburn VA.

Currently holed up in NJ, so all specific inputs help.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM

186 posts, read 372,416 times
We live in Cornelius and have since 2005... Cornelius and Huntersville are immediately adjacent to each other so living in one town is really like living in the other with some caveats. The biggest one is that Huntersville covers a lot more territory than Cornelius. So you can have a Huntersville address but be nowhere near some of the desirable locations like Birkdale, Lake Norman etc. Cornelius is tiny, outside of a couple of pockets of obvious poverty, its hard to miss getting a good location.
1. Good school district - In Cornelius you are guaranteed to be in a good school district across all grade levels. In Huntersville you need to be more careful, the southern and far west sections of Huntersville feed to schools that are less desirable that the northern ones (the same as Cornelius schools)
2. Great day care facilities or at home care - many options in both towns, moreso in northern Huntersville
3. Demographics (younger families) - Huntersville is filled to the brim with young families, see number 7
4. Career driven professionals who try and balance home/worklife (Since we will be facing similar challenges) - I'm not sure about this if you mean that both parents work. Based on my observation there are lots of families around here that seem to have one stay at home parent, and a growing number of stay at home dads. I'm basing this on who I see at the bus stop and who is out and about at lunch time, right after school.
5. Monthly community activities - both have them on an ongoing basis and residency in one doesnt exclude you from participating in the other towns activities
6. Volunteering events - this is going to be driven more by personal desire than the town you live in, there are Habitat events, food pantries, Ada Jenkins etc
7. Diversity - I think Cornelius is more diverse than Huntersville. There are retirees, young singles, young families, mature families, college kids, couples without kids. Huntersville seems to be mainly families with very young and elementary school age children. Cornelius is very white, Huntersville is a bit more racially diverse if that's what you mean.
This area continues to grow at a pretty rapid pace, there was a lull but construction is roaring back. All one needs to do is drive through the limited number of new home sites under construction and note how many lots are under contract and how many homes are under construction. I doubt the towns will approve much more residential construction given road and traffic conditions, and Cornelius is just about out of land to build on anyway. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM

409 posts, read 990,133 times
I'll weigh in -

I think that for items 2-6, there is not really much difference and that the two towns are close enough to each other geographically that it would not matter.

Regarding item #1 - I'd give the edge to Cornelius here - there are areas of Huntersville that are zoned for the same schools as Cornelius, but Huntersville is closer to Charlotte so is more affected (IMO) by CMS school redistrictings, etc. All of Cornelius feeds Hough High School (good), but Huntersville feeds Hough, North Mecklenburg, and Hopewell High Schools depending on where you live. I'd hazard a guess that Cornelius will be less affected by CMS redistricting than Huntersville will be (and has been).

Item #7 - Again, more similar than dissimilar, but I think Huntersville may be a bit more diverse also due to its proximity to Charlotte. This also factors into item #1.

One item the OP did not mention is location relative to traffic and commute - if going into and out of Charlotte, Huntersville is a good bit easier than Cornelius as it is at the beginning of the I-77 logjam.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,919,891 times
I think there are more differences within each town than between the 2 towns. Huntersville has some "upscale" golf course subdivisions and some rural trailer parks and much in between. Cornelius has the high end Peninsula on Lake Norman with a country club and it also has a quaint old downtown area with surrounding very modest low income neighborhoods. You can find what you are looking for within the borders of either town.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,218,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Thanks Frewroad...which one would you choose and why? If you are already living in one of the two areas, even better.

We are still contemplating the move, the other option is Ashburn VA.

Currently holed up in NJ, so all specific inputs help.
I lived near Ashburn, VA for almost 12 years. There is a definite difference between the Huntersville/Cornelius area and Ashburn. You have two places that are complete opposites. Ashburn has a great number of SAHM's. It's a nice area that does have a ton of kids but when I think of that area 'rat race' comes to mind. You can make a nice living but the price of homes are to high for the quality they are built. The school system in Loudoun is fantastic but I'm not sure that you will get the community feel you are looking for in Ashburn. I lived in Huntersville for a few months back in 2007. I enjoyed living there though I didn't have kids at that point. We now live in Cabarrus County just over the Meck line (in fact the neighborhood across the street from us has a Huntersville Address) and now have two kids one of which is starting K in the fall. The schools for our neighborhood are great and I wouldn't move back to Huntersville even if I could.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,953,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
I've lived in Huntersville ~18 years. I'm a native to Charlotte. The primary reason we moved was because we like to go boating. I picked Huntersville because at the time I was still commuting to Charlotte and it was closer. W. Huntersville not only has easy access to Lake Norman but also Mountain Island Lake which is a nice place to go when Lake Norman gets too busy. I don't think I would make a different decision today if I had to do it again though I'd also have to think very hard about living in Davidson as well.

Any of these 3 towns are fine IMO.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the detailed inputs. Anyone's got more to share, please do so.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM

241 posts, read 240,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
We live in Cornelius and have since 2005... Cornelius and Huntersville are immediately adjacent to each other so living in one town is really like living in the other with some caveats. The biggest one is that Huntersville covers a lot more territory than Cornelius. So you can have a Huntersville address but be nowhere near some of the desirable locations like Birkdale, Lake Norman etc. Cornelius is tiny, outside of a couple of pockets of obvious poverty, its hard to miss getting a good location.
1. Good school district - In Cornelius you are guaranteed to be in a good school district across all grade levels. In Huntersville you need to be more careful, the southern and far west sections of Huntersville feed to schools that are less desirable that the northern ones (the same as Cornelius schools)
2. Great day care facilities or at home care - many options in both towns, moreso in northern Huntersville
3. Demographics (younger families) - Huntersville is filled to the brim with young families, see number 7
4. Career driven professionals who try and balance home/worklife (Since we will be facing similar challenges) - I'm not sure about this if you mean that both parents work. Based on my observation there are lots of families around here that seem to have one stay at home parent, and a growing number of stay at home dads. I'm basing this on who I see at the bus stop and who is out and about at lunch time, right after school.
5. Monthly community activities - both have them on an ongoing basis and residency in one doesnt exclude you from participating in the other towns activities
6. Volunteering events - this is going to be driven more by personal desire than the town you live in, there are Habitat events, food pantries, Ada Jenkins etc
7. Diversity - I think Cornelius is more diverse than Huntersville. There are retirees, young singles, young families, mature families, college kids, couples without kids. Huntersville seems to be mainly families with very young and elementary school age children. Cornelius is very white, Huntersville is a bit more racially diverse if that's what you mean.
This area continues to grow at a pretty rapid pace, there was a lull but construction is roaring back. All one needs to do is drive through the limited number of new home sites under construction and note how many lots are under contract and how many homes are under construction. I doubt the towns will approve much more residential construction given road and traffic conditions, and Cornelius is just about out of land to build on anyway. Good luck in your search.

Ditto!! Good update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or