Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,937,303 times

Advertisements

I wondered if they would get in trouble for this because public business is supposed to be well... public. The Mayor & City Council voted and struck a deal with the Panthers in secret to give them 100s of millions in tax $s.
"The mayor and city council have grown increasingly arrogant in handling public business behind closed doors. They now seek a major tax hike as if it were some private matter"
Attorney to file motion against city for $1.4M over Panthers... | www.wsoctv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM

209 posts, read 460,015 times
Give the damn stadium the improvements and stop all of this ridiculous non-sense. It's ruining Charlotte's reputation.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,536,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
Give the damn stadium the improvements and stop all of this ridiculous non-sense. It's ruining Charlotte's reputation.
Secret deals ruin Reputations!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,113,264 times
Quote:
How could protesting tax money going to a millionaire for improvements on a private building be ruining Charlotte's reputation?

This post made me laugh out loud, fer shur.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,585,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I wondered if they would get in trouble for this because public business is supposed to be well... public. The Mayor & City Council voted and struck a deal with the Panthers in secret to give them 100s of millions in tax $s.
"The mayor and city council have grown increasingly arrogant in handling public business behind closed doors. They now seek a major tax hike as if it were some private matter"
Attorney to file motion against city for $1.4M over Panthers... | www.wsoctv.com
For this issue to be "over", you keep bringing it up. This lawsuit is very similar to the ones Jerry Reese filed over the ballpark, no news here unless you want to see something. My guess is that based on precedent, the judge will throw this out. But, these guys should be held liable for causing the city to fight a baseless lawsuit, I don't want my tax dollars paying attorneys so some clown attorney can get on TV.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,113,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
For this issue to be "over", you keep bringing it up. This lawsuit is very similar to the ones Jerry Reese filed over the ballpark, no news here unless you want to see something. My guess is that based on precedent, the judge will throw this out. But, these guys should be held liable for causing the city to fight a baseless lawsuit, I don't want my tax dollars paying attorneys so some clown attorney can get on TV.
If there were "secret meetings," and that can be proved, then the parties involved should be held accountable. I don't think that is a matter of a frivolous lawsuit at all.

Of course, I haven't read the lawsuit . . . but seems to me this isn't "baseless."

It is not unheard of for news organizations to sue over this very thing, actually, i.e. closed meeting, sunshine law, and so forth.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 PM

209 posts, read 460,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How could protesting tax money going to a millionaire for improvements on a private building be ruining Charlotte's reputation?

This post made me laugh out loud, fer shur.
In my opinion, Charlotte needs to pay for the stadium. Other cities like Atlanta would have no problem doing this.

A city being sued because of a reason leading back to the city not wanting to pay for stadium improvements is ridiculous and it's making Charlotte look bad.

LOL.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 PM

176 posts, read 289,042 times
Quote:
In my opinion, Charlotte needs to pay for the stadium. Other cities like Atlanta would have no problem doing this.

A city being sued because of a reason leading back to the city not wanting to pay for stadium improvements is ridiculous and it's making Charlotte look bad.

LOL.
Should we allow our politicians to do everything behind closed doors - or just stadium deals?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM

3,319 posts, read 5,527,139 times
Quote:

LOL.
Jerry?
Jerry Richardson?
Is that you?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,585,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If there were "secret meetings," and that can be proved, then the parties involved should be held accountable. I don't think that is a matter of a frivolous lawsuit at all.

Of course, I haven't read the lawsuit . . . but seems to me this isn't "baseless."

It is not unheard of for news organizations to sue over this very thing, actually, i.e. closed meeting, sunshine law, and so forth.
No, this is baseless. Council can and does go into private sessions to discuss matters that would be compromised otherwise. It is a needed tool. Did you hear of Met Life prior to it being announced.....do you think they all met for the first time on announcement day?

News organizations often sue over FOIA and getting access to records.m that is completely different from a lawyer asking for a "fine". This is a classic "Jerry Reese" lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte