Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
Thanks frewroad!! Any recommendations/references on installers?
I'm sorry I can't help you there since I did the work myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

100% true BUT can be done with a great deal of extra labor. Vapor barrior put down first.. Then furring strips are layed out over that and attached to slab with concrete nails or( similar type nails). Then hardwood floor is installed in normal manner.

Detailed instructions can be found on-line for those that are insistent about this look.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM

Last post was in reponse to FREWROAD. Sorry.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Last post was in reponse to FREWROAD. Sorry.
When I was a new hire engineer years ago, one of the senior guys told me.. "You can fix any engineering problem with enough money...". Over the years, I found this advice to be true but also a situation to be avoided.

Sure it can be done, but you may not like the end results and it uses the product in an unsupported fashion. I would not want to do it given the expense and hence loss if it has to be torn out.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Some friends had hardwood installed directly on their slab floor. After a while the boards started warping and popping up. They had to have the hardwood pulled up and installed correctly--big expense. So be sure to use the vapor barrier if you have a slab floor!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
When I was a new hire engineer years ago, one of the senior guys told me.. "You can fix any engineering problem with enough money...". Over the years, I found this advice to be true but also a situation to be avoided.

Sure it can be done, but you may not like the end results and it uses the product in an unsupported fashion. I would not want to do it given the expense and hence loss if it has to be torn out.

I agree. Just wanted to make OP of all the possibilities. (It's not something that I would do....again)

Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM

345 posts, read 871,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
We live in a townhouse with a concrete slab. About 2 years ago we decided to replace the carpet with hardwood flooring.

We looked at a couple local installers, Lumber Liquidators, and Lowe's.

We chose Lowe's- and used their installation service. Google actually subs out the install to local contractors... but we didn't have the time, patience, or resources to find local installers ourselves.

We were VERY HAPPY with Lowe's. They gave us 12 months no interest- which we used for the product and install.

We purchased the engineered flooring that floats (not laminate)

Here's what's important: A few weeks after the install was complete we noticed some boards were slipping and moving. We called Lowe's and they had the installer come back and fix the loose boards. I was very pleased that when a problem occurred after the install, Lowe's fixed things with no hassle.
You mentioned engineered floor that "floats", what does that mean?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM

84 posts, read 209,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
You mentioned engineered floor that "floats", what does that mean?
A floating floor is where there's a thin underlayment laid down over the subfloor and then tongue-in-groove floor is laid on top of that. Doesn't require any nailing or gluing, and the wood floor "floats" above the subfloor. It makes for a really simple install, you could do it yourself. But while you can get some good floating flooring, it's not quite as nice as actual hardwood that's nailed down.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Thumbs up Big help!

I am positive that anyone who goes to JD Floor Store will be HAPPY!

They are new to town and I learned of them from another friend who just bought some flooring there.

There store is at 1036 Thomasboro road right off hwy 85 at Freedom Drive (you can get there easy from Gleenwood Drive exit also) Thomasboro is like the service road for 85 right there and they are next door to Lumber Liquidators.

When I went, I also went to Lumber Liquidators and some other places in town.

The difference was night and day. at JD Floor Store the owner himself helped me out to suggest what would be best for me and informed me of every option that was available.

There where plenty of options that I liked but ultimately John the owner suggested I use a less expensive option that I am 100% thrilled with...

I had the Lumber Liquidators next door price their closest materials (which were not as good) and they where charging over $1,000 more.

I can thank my friend enough for making sure that I drove across town to see this place and I am super happy with the product and service they delivered, I highly suggest you check them out they also do carpet and tile.

I found there website J.D. Floor Store, Raleigh NC | Hardwood, Carpet, and Tile Flooring in Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Chapel Hill & Durham, North Carolina but it looks like the website is for their Raleigh store.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 AM

385 posts, read 729,956 times
@kkn006,

joshshope is correct- it's not nailed down. But we have a concrete slap, so you can't nail.

Don't confuse floating engineered hardwood flooring with laminate flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte