Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM

186 posts, read 436,457 times

Advertisements

Is the Golden Rule under seige in Charlotte? | CharlotteObserver.com

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
The Jaywalking is the main thing I notice. I'm not talking about sensible crossing when the street is clear. I mean people weaving through stopped traffic when they could cross at the signal just 2 car lengths away.

Well, that and people putting regular trash in the "recycling" containers.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
I blame it on a generation's worth of children raised in daycare.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Golden Rule is alive and well in Charlotte, and in NC in general. "He or she with the gold, rules."

Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM

176 posts, read 291,065 times
I think the article makes an interesting point about the role of anonymity. Most people generally will not behave poorly in front of friends and neighbors. For example, in a small town I lived in for nearly nine years where everyone knew everyone, people waved to each other, made an effort to help each other, looked out for each other's kids, etc. Another example is how these same people who act with complete disregard for strangers are the model of civility in their office workplace.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Is the Golden Rule under seige in Charlotte? | CharlotteObserver.com

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who noticed.
Yes, it went away with the entrace of MTV, HBO, cell phones, internet, social media, etc....basically, the look-at-me reality TV generation and get-rich-quick nonsense (ponzi schemes, etc).

Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
I thought the golden rule in the Charlotte Observer was when the neighbor's dog whizzes on my Sunday paper before I get to it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Riiight. Agenda much?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
I see similar examples all the time. My latest reason to be irritated is indeed shopping carts. I asked a woman who couldn't walk the 20 feet to the cart corral in the Home Dept parking lot why she just put the cart on the curb. She told me she had a baby in her van. Really? The 30 seconds it would have taken would somehow have put her baby in jeopardy? At the Target in front of a buddy's business I see numerous people take the time to be sure the cart won't roll off of the sidewalk next to their parking space, but they can't find the time to take the cart back to the store, 50 feet away.

Is it not obvious to you that there are supposed to be two lanes in a shopping aisle, and that turning your cart at an angle while it's in the middle of the aisle impedes traffic? I understand that you had to answer your phone that instant, talking loudly enough to be heard three aisles away, but couldn't you at least move your cart to one side, preferably the right, as we were taught in 1st grade?

When I stop my car in the parking lot to let you and your herd of chirrens cross the driveway (contrary to popular belief, you do NOT always have right of way, so I am doing you a favor, since you were too lazy to walk 20 yards to the marked crosswalk), do you think you might be able to take the shortest route across the driveway, rather than stretching out your waddle for the longest possible distance? And later, when you're not blocking ALL the traffic, would be just as good a time to yell at your kids while not actually disciplining them for the 459743895677955th time that day. Maybe you could move faster than a crawl as well. That would be great, thank you.

I try to be courteous, and give some thought to how I want to be treated in a given situation. Some people just don't seem to care, because THEY are the most important person.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Or not being raised at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte