Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times

Advertisements

I read they will just turn them into Peet's? They are the majority holders now and thought it made sense to keep Caribou in its birthzone (MN, IL) and make everything else Peet's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I read they will just turn them into Peet's? They are the majority holders now and thought it made sense to keep Caribou in its birthzone (MN, IL) and make everything else Peet's.
From reading article on what you stated it makes sense since this German firm that owns Peet's and purchased Caribou in December. That is a big conversion for Peets which is mainly a west coast chain.

Goodbye Caribou Coffee, hello Peet's? | cleveland.com

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM

501 posts, read 800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
What?!

I had no clue North Carolina was the only state in the South that has Caribou's. Hey, at least we aren't loosing all of them.
There are Caribou's here in Georgia including some 24 hour locations, but of course not nearly have as many St*rbucks.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I think they're closing about 80 and rebranding another 88 nationally. Unfortunately the Charlotte ones don't look to have made the rebranding cut: Caribou Coffee to close 80 stores; convert 88 nationwide to Peet’s stores - The Washington Post

updated list of Charlotte-area stores staying open: Charlotte-area Caribou Coffee hospital outlets also staying open | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
East Blvd closed it doors yesterday.
Qnotes did a nice article on how Caribou became a social place in Charlotte.
It also talk about Caribou was the only place LGBT could meet outside of a bar.

More than a gay hang out, Dilworth Caribou built social fabric | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment

Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 8,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
What?!

I had no clue North Carolina was the only state in the South that has Caribou's. Hey, at least we aren't loosing all of them.
They've got them in Atlanta too.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
The one in Overstreet Mall closed and it looked like there were people already in there trying to figure out what to do with it. Last time I checked a week or so ago, the one over in Founder's Hall (I think) was still open.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB1981 View Post
They've got them in Atlanta too.
My bad. There's 8 in GA and 14 in NC.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
The Mooresville store is closing. I always thought it was in a bad location, being in the Super Target shoppiing center. It was tucked away in a corner, at the end on a mini-strip which couldn't be seen from street level. I'm surprised it did any business.

Actually, for many people that lived in 28117, this was a really popular spot. Lots of people who'd been loyal customers for 10 years, and they'd just employed a new manager who was absolutely fabulous but devastated by the news of the closure. She's now at the Park Road location-which is an awful store.
The store was losing money- but Caribou wouldn't invest any money to make it more visible or attractive ie put a sign at the entrance to Winslow Commons off 150 or purchase new umbrellas for the patio area.

There was a lot of competition- Starbucks on the opposite corner, one in Target, one in Harris Teeter in Morrison plantation and ,of course, Dunkin Donuts very close by. Also, La Pattiserie at the junction of Brawley/Wiliamson.To many- coffee is coffee, but it's interesting that I don't see any of the old regulars at Starbucks since Caribou closed.

Caribou have "rebranded" at least one of the stores as a Petes coffee.They're owned by the same company but on the West Coast. I believe there's going to be one at the Langtree development at J31 in Mooresville.

The independent coffee shop that was in the Harris Teeter shopping center at 150/Perth closed over a year ago. Their coffee was good- nice store and nice pastry items/paninis etc, but of course there was SB in HT. It also had a drive through. It's now a Subway

Not sure what the new coffee shop In DT Mooresville is like- Hebrews. Had some good reports and seems well patronized but I was put off because they advertised themselves as a Christian coffee shop

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Actually, for many people that lived in 28117, this was a really popular spot. Lots of people who'd been loyal customers for 10 years, and they'd just employed a new manager who was absolutely fabulous but devastated by the news of the closure. She's now at the Park Road location-which is an awful store.
The store was losing money- but Caribou wouldn't invest any money to make it more visible or attractive ie put a sign at the entrance to Winslow Commons off 150 or purchase new umbrellas for the patio area.

There was a lot of competition- Starbucks on the opposite corner, one in Target, one in Harris Teeter in Morrison plantation and ,of course, Dunkin Donuts very close by. Also, La Pattiserie at the junction of Brawley/Wiliamson.To many- coffee is coffee, but it's interesting that I don't see any of the old regulars at Starbucks since Caribou closed.

Caribou have "rebranded" at least one of the stores as a Petes coffee.They're owned by the same company but on the West Coast. I believe there's going to be one at the Langtree development at J31 in Mooresville.

The independent coffee shop that was in the Harris Teeter shopping center at 150/Perth closed over a year ago. Their coffee was good- nice store and nice pastry items/paninis etc, but of course there was SB in HT. It also had a drive through. It's now a Subway

Not sure what the new coffee shop In DT Mooresville is like- Hebrews. Had some good reports and seems well patronized but I was put off because they advertised themselves as a Christian coffee shop

Exactly, Caribou should have put up some signage. You would not know the store was there unless you actually drove past it. Personally, I'm not a fan of SB or Caribou. Don't like coffee that tastes burnt all the time & you pay big $$ for to boot. I'll take DD's over them anytime or a cup of good old Joe from a NY diner. I haven't been to Hebrews either, like you, it was a turnoff for me. Enjoying a hot cup of home-brewed Chock-ful-a-Nuts right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte