Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM

41 posts, read 192,386 times

Advertisements

I'll give anyone who cares to read this the short version of the story.

My girlfriend and I recently graduated college around August, and we moved here to the up and coming city with high hopes of landing our dream job etc... She had no trouble at all, she is a nurse, but i on the other hand am struggling. I have been working a part time job for the past few months while looking and coming up with little results. I believe it is partly my fault because I am not particularly passionate about the field I graduated in. I graduated with a degree in recreation management, also a minor in business, and it seems that pretty much all the places I find that pertain to my major have absolutely nothing available. I am definitely keeping my options open for any full-time work outside of my field, but I really don't know where to look or even what to look for. It's starting to really frustrate me because i desperately need that full-time income before the holidays, part time just isn't cutting it. Can anyone help me or at least give me some advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Try the following:

Huntersville is looking for a Parks Director and other posistions
Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/employment_0.asp - broken link)
Also try other city and county goverments for posistions not just in Mecklenburg County
Here are some more web sites for options
JobLink Career Centers | North Carolina Department of Commerce

charlotte jobs classifieds - craigslist

Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Living/_Jobs/Home.htm - broken link)

good luck.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 AM

84 posts, read 300,732 times
Some young people come of out college and expect to enter the job market making lots of money without having the skills and experience worthy of those salaries.

Remember, it takes time for you to gain the skills and become productive.

Why not try to persue a management trainee position with one of the sporting goods or golf equipment companies.............or a golf course.

Offer your time to help out at sporting events run the Parks Department.

Get to know the folks in the "know".

Just curious, but how does one select to major in career where jobs are so tight?

The city that seems to have the best opportunity for your area is Long Beach, California.

Their parks system includes parks with lots of personnel needs and many are golf courses.

I wish you luck and happy holidays.............remember, "Never, Never.........Never......................NEVER give up!"

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,035 times
I don't have many suggestions for jobs, but just wanted to say that I understand and relate to your situation. I moved to a new city after college w/ only $1000 to my name. Some how I made it work, but I know I'll never be that daring again. It's only been 3 months since you graduated. That's not very long. Just be patient and keep trying. And remember that a college degree these days doesn't automatically get you the best jobs. You still have to start low on the ladder.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM

33 posts, read 31,225 times
I would say to be flexible. Chances are you wont get the job of your 'dreams' right away. Find a job that is somewhat appealing and start to network in other areas. I would rather have an undesirable job than be unemployed! At least you will have money flowing in.The market in Charlotte can be tough due to the amount of competition for open positions. With so many newcomers to the area, landing the perfect job can be difficult. Just be persistent and determined. You may have to live below your means for a little while. Good luck...

Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
I'd say outside of professions in dire need eg nursing/medical etc, you can't expect to get that dream job right out of college. While some certainly do, it's not the norm.

Have you tried the YMCA? How about the Special Olympics? Also, County Parks and Rec, the U.S. National Whitewater Center, Carowinds, Crowders Mountain, the hundreds of golf courses in and around Charlotte, Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre, Lowes Motor Speedway, and Bobcats Arena?

Even if it means starting at the bottom making 12/hr, I'd be very flexible. It may take working a crap job for a few months, but at least you'll get your foot in the door.

It took me 3 months and my brother 5 months to get the first job. The first is always the hardest.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: