Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,669,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree.. and didn't someone say an observation deck would be ho-hum because it's not on par with Chicago?

People act like Charlotte pulled the old switcharoo and sent out brochures with a river walk and 50 skyscrapers to get them to move here.
YES. Praise Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
I agree.. and didn't someone say an observation deck would be ho-hum because it's not on par with Chicago?

People act like Charlotte pulled the old switcharoo and sent out brochures with a river walk and 50 skyscrapers to get them to move here.
No, I did not say that. And you know I didn't say that.

An observation deck would be nice! In addition, a restaurant with nice views is always appreciated and a great place to relax, take clients, etc.

My point was that even doing these types of things is not going to make Charlotte a destination city nor will it mean that Charlotte has something unique. It would be a nice touch and appreciated.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,129,884 times
Cities like charlotte, phoenix, etc get hated on is because they are spread out and don't fit the must be uber dense within small borders to be considered "urban." Those cities have their place and cities like charlotte have theirs. Personally i like variety, but that's just me. When i wanted urban before the kids, i did it. When i needed more of a suburban lifestyle because of the kids i did it and if i want farmland, i can do that to and never have to leave the city limits. These types of cities grow faster in part, i feel because they tend to be able to offer varied lifestyles their older denser counterparts can't. Nothing wrong with that. In the end, you wind up being more attractive to a broader range of people.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM

241 posts, read 302,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Cities like charlotte, phoenix, etc get hated on is because they are spread out and don't fit the must be uber dense within small borders to be considered "urban." Those cities have their place and cities like charlotte have theirs. Personally i like variety, but that's just me. When i wanted urban before the kids, i did it. When i needed more of a suburban lifestyle because of the kids i did it and if i want farmland, i can do that to and never have to leave the city limits. These types of cities grow faster in part, i feel because they tend to be able to offer varied lifestyles their older denser counterparts can't. Nothing wrong with that. In the end, you wind up being more attractive to a broader range of people.
Charlotte has both. I don't think that many of those that are so bent out of shape for something so trivial understand that others move to cities where they can have a yard and room for their children to play. It is the American ideal. That is the reason so many northerners move from the crowded cities to the sunshine belt where they can have more space or 'freedom.' Charlotte is a great place to buy a great home with a yard big enough to have a garden and swings, etc. for children. On the other hand, if one doesn't have children and wishes to live in town where the action is, that option is open too. I believe that people understand this as they get older and smarter. I haven't seen people discuss urban sprawl in a while. It really got annoying. I believe that Charlotte has about the right density.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM

162 posts, read 215,952 times
Quote:

No, but the marketing materials promote it as being an "up and coming city." Up and coming implies that the downtown is expanding and keep the same density or better. It also implies that it will fit the non-commerical and social needs of new citizens. Suburbria impresses no one, but new parents love it for being sterile. Its nice that the demographic is being looked after but it sucks for everyone else.

I love the suggestions that were mentioned earlier about how to improve downtown for the people who live in the city. That's what brings character to the city [as opposed to scrapping the bottom of the barrel by creating creating lowest priced venues outside of where people congregate]

Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Excellent, some of those things are on the way. I am not a Charlotte cheerleader, the city's success speaks for itself as it continues to evolve and improve. The only thing that irks or annoys me is people not taking advantage of what's here. I'm always amazed with the it's-better-somewhere-else kind of position. If I had not lived and experienced so many other places I might fall for that junk.
ARI - i think most of us agree that there are some great ideas that have been posted here.

What I don't think we agree on is that what you find wonderful and what I find wonderful may be two different things. Just b/c you think this city "has everything" and that there is absolutely no reason to feel otherwise, it doesn't mean others agree with you. You keep saying that folks might "fall for it" like somehow it is trickery if we don't agree with your feeling so satisfied here. That puzzles me. I am glad you like it here. And I am glad you are excited about the future of the city. But it is no "trickery" if others amongst us -- or visitors -- don't see things as you do. Not all of us see the evolution of this city in the same way you and your cohorts do, either. That doesn't mean we are all wrong and only you and those who think as you do are right -- and anyone who disagrees with the leadership in this city, or with you, must be involved in some sort of "trickery" -- something that Felt seems to be alluding to, as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
No, but the marketing materials promote it as being an "up and coming city." Up and coming implies that the downtown is expanding and keep the same density or better. It also implies that it will fit the non-commerical and social needs of new citizens. Suburbria impresses no one, but new parents love it for being sterile. Its nice that the demographic is being looked after but it sucks for everyone else.

I love the suggestions that were mentioned earlier about how to improve downtown for the people who live in the city. That's what brings character to the city [as opposed to scrapping the bottom of the barrel by creating creating lowest priced venues outside of where people congregate]
No.

Charlotte is an up and coming city, so why shouldn't it market itself that way? The thousands of families that relocate here every year are only part of the equation. There are also many graduates and singles looking for a new start somewhere else.

The economic base that's already here is impressive for a city of Charlotte's size and that's going to/is benefiting the city tremendously.

Every major city has suburbs, Charlotte's suburbs are actually quite nice compared to other cities and I'm glad to see more investment in the Uptown area.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM

162 posts, read 215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
No.

Charlotte is an up and coming city, so why shouldn't it market itself that way? The thousands of families that relocate here every year are only part of the equation. There are also many graduates and singles looking for a new start somewhere else.

The economic base that's already here is impressive for a city of Charlotte's size and that's going to/is benefiting the city tremendously.

Every major city has suburbs, Charlotte's suburbs are actually quite nice compared to other cities and I'm glad to see more investment in the Uptown area.
With exception to LA most established cities push the suburbs outside of the city proper. Charlotte keeps it inside and fights the growth of downtown. Which is rather weird. Parents and family don't define culture, they tend to like the things that are there and complain about schools, taxes, and what single people are doing.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I was not aware that there is "hate on Charlotte"...in my business travels when I tell people I live in Charlotte, most responses are very positive towards the city.
Especially when I visit northern states in winter...
Most of the disdain for Charlotte and the South in general is found online - not in real life. Face to face discussions rarely bring out such ridiculous comments like are found on city-data about cities like Charlotte, and basically people are repeating what they have read elsewhere online when they really have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
With exception to LA most established cities push the suburbs outside of the city proper. Charlotte keeps it inside and fights the growth of downtown. Which is rather weird. Parents and family don't define culture, they tend to like the things that are there and complain about schools, taxes, and what single people are doing.
Charlotte's suburbs extent all the way to Mooresville and into South Carolina and haven't prevented any growth in the Uptown area to my knowledge, at least not recently.

Of course families are going to take schools, taxes and other amenities closest to them into consideration.

Light rail is bringing in more demand along the line and there's an even higher demand for apartments/condos in the Uptown area, which would explain why there's two new buildings going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte