Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 AM

279 posts, read 887,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Pruning Crape Myrtles is a very silly "tradition".

I'd recommend against ever pruning them by "topping". They will produce many many more flowers if left uncut...
Absolutely! love the natural look of the trees! I never prune mine,just clean them up at the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I came home to see all of our crepe myrtles all trimmed up at the base. My husband went ahead and cut off all the suckers leaving the main trunks clean. He left the canopy alone. I was all agog as I remembered this thread. Will they still bloom? They are still bare branches. We have about 7 of them in which he cleaned up.

(we had just moved here and everything was neglected overrun with weeds/grass/sucklings etc)

Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I came home to see all of our crepe myrtles all trimmed up at the base. My husband went ahead and cut off all the suckers leaving the main trunks clean. He left the canopy alone. I was all agog as I remembered this thread. Will they still bloom? They are still bare branches. We have about 7 of them in which he cleaned up.

(we had just moved here and everything was neglected overrun with weeds/grass/sucklings etc)

Hi, In the past few days since my original post the tree has bloomed a little. I say a little only because there was not much to bloom. My idiot yard guy cut away most of the smaller branches that were able to bloom. The good news is the tree is not dead but I have a feeling it would probably be another year or two before the smaller twigs are back enough to bloom effectively. You may find out the same is true for your tree.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

You can safely clean the suckers from below the canopy to clean up the trunk. It shouldn't have any negative impact.

What I consider bad pruning is when they are topped, like pics...

Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM

37 posts, read 67,775 times
No expert, but can only share what our service does. They top about 12-18" above the knuckle. They did this back in Feb i believe. We are only starting to get new growth. If they weren't crowded by other trees i'd probably leave them. in our case it seems to work. My service was adament about not cutting them to the knuckle. I've never used any fertilizer. Where they are located, we use black much. they seem to be doing ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: