Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Ok my original post basically was I cant beileve how cold it got at night and we needed to put our heat on in the house.

How in the world did we get on the topic of Engines?

and YES I had to put the Air on the other night. And I believe my question was again is this normal to have to switch between the air and the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
And I believe my question was again is this normal to have to switch between the air and the heat.
It's been normal for us the 3.5 years we've been in Charlotte. We do the same thing in the Spring-- back & forth between heat & air for a few weeks.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Yes for about 3 weeks usually then it's all heat......but even then occasionaly in the winter we will get some 70º days.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 55,801 times
Sorry berryjuice4life, but I have to add this, although I know it wasn't the direction you wanted to have this discussion.

Good god. That's right. I can't believe what some people are telling here. But let me try:

You guys live in Charlotte, NC or somewhere close. Not Siberia and not in another freezing cold part of the earth and there is no need to warm up the car.

If you would base all your behaviour on studies, you shouldn't do a lot of things. Talking about cars, I don't think you warm up your tires as well, just to have more grip right away, aren't you?
Your engine also will be working in 10 years without all this warm up. But most people don't even drive one and the same car for 10 years. So why do you even care about the engine?

To me, this whole remote thing (mentioned earlier in this discussion) is just a convenience for careless people, who don't want to sit in a car below or above their 70 degrees Fahrenheit (may be more or less for other people, so don't nail me down on this).
I don't think that these people warmed up their cars on a daily basis, when they didn't have these neat remotes a few years ago.
And honestly, do you really just warm up your car 5 minutes? I bet there are a lot of situations, when you're running late or whatever and the car keeps running longer and longer.

Who cares? I do, because if millions of people do the same, they damage the environment a lot more than a single person might think. Look at the big picture!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Your window fogs up because it's below the dew point. When you breath on the window the moisture in the air instantly fogs up because it's 100% saturated @ that point. The only way to solve that issue is to bring the temp of the windows above the dew point. You can wipe it all you want but if the temp doesn't come up it won't work but for a few seconds until it fogs up again.

The attic tent is a great idea. The access for the attic is like a chimney and when your heating your home....it just rushes out of the house by something called a stack effect. Unless your house is exceptionally sealed you still have this same effect no matter what. Recommended air exchange rates for homes are in the 25% range per hour.....meaning every hour 25% of the air in your home needs to be exchanged with outside air for IAQ.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
My pull down attic stairs are insulated so I'm sure that helps a bit, but that tent I'm sure would help a lot more. Right now is good because the sun from the day warms the house up a bit.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM

52 posts, read 149,864 times
Hi Bigjon,
Wow! This is some lesson here. I have copied and pasted it to myself in an email home . I will sure use your tips when i relocate in 6/08 . I know I will not need to heat until the cold weather but I sure will keep these handy dandy tips for then. They broke ground w/my home at The Chimneys and I am sure looking forward to my new home ! There seems to be so many friendly people on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte