Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 AM

54 posts, read 156,696 times

Advertisements

GOOD MORNING EVERYONe

Looking to hear from people who came down and bought a house right away.

If you had to do it again, would you have rented for 6 months first, gotten the lay-of-the-land and then plopped down your deposit?

So is it Rent First -OR- Buy, Stay Put for 3-5 years then sell...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Well, I'm leaving Charlotte, and I'm renting currently for two reasons: to get the lay of the land, and because I didn't want the pressure of waiting for our house to sell.

It has its advantages, and its disadvantages of course. I mean, we're able to take our time, but we're not settled in, you know? I mean, I'm sitting here staring at white walls and bare windows mentally decorating a home that's not mine. It's too small for our large family, and most of our furniture is being used to stage our home that's on the market. On the other hand, I live on the internet looking at houses, and we don't feel rushed in making a decision.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
Well, we did rent a townhouse first while we shopped for a house. It was the right thing for us to do, and it gave us an opportunity to learn about different neighborhoods, schools, communities, etc within Charlotte. We chose our neighborhood after MUCH driving around and research, and have been very happy. Buying first to me would be like getting married to someone you've never met.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
We bought our house and moved into it without renting first. I've really liked it and am VERY glad we didn't rent first. I couldn't fathom the idea of moving twice. We came down to visit for 3 days one week, found a place we liked, had it built, and never looked back!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 AM

33 posts, read 31,170 times
No, renting is a waste of money. I would say a few extended visits in the area should give a good indication if it is a good fit. We moved right into a new home. We were tired of paying a $1000 a month on rent. I mean our mortgage payment is about that...

Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKITNC View Post
No, renting is a waste of money. I would say a few extended visits in the area should give a good indication if it is a good fit. We moved right into a new home. We were tired of paying a $1000 a month on rent. I mean our mortgage payment is about that...
Contrary to popluar belief, renting is not wasting money if home values are declining. Also, extended visits are not possible for alot of people.

Visiting and living somewhere can give two totally different experiences...it has for me.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Moved here and rented for 6 months. Wouldn't have done it any other way. Charlotte and the area are growing so fast that we would never have known where to look in only weekend visits or on a short timeline. We were able to find the house we liked, in the neighborhood we wanted. It was not a waste of money!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM

33 posts, read 31,170 times
The quality of life in most apartments is low. Trust me, I was a renter for 12 years. Plus I wouldnt want to move 2 times in the matter of 6-12 months. The ones that put there stuff in storage are wasting more money. How much are the value of homes going down? The value of your apartment will never go up! I just got tired of apartment living...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Contrary to popluar belief, renting is not wasting money if home values are declining. Also, extended visits are not possible for alot of people.

Visiting and living somewhere can give two totally different experiences...it has for me.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
We rented a townhouse for 4 months, and during that time, had all of our things (sans basic items needed to live) in storage. So although we technically MOVED twice, we didn't unpack and then have to repack. It was worth it for us to really get to know different areas of town before making the largest investment we will ever make.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKITNC View Post
The quality of life in most apartments is low. Trust me, I was a renter for 12 years. Plus I wouldnt want to move 2 times in the matter of 6-12 months. The ones that put there stuff in storage are wasting more money. How much are the value of homes going down? The value of your apartment will never go up! I just got tired of apartment living...
Well, there's your first problem. No one who's moving here should rent for 12 years if they want to purchase a SFH. I'm talking about 6-12 mos. max....even shorter.

Look at the responses here....+ its not always about the $$...its about your quality of life and being comfortable moving for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte