Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I dont trust them . How do I know that the "BOX" is not going to let them monitor which shows I watch?
You don't know. I have no proof, but viewing habits are very valuable to advertisers and it's not hard to imagine that DirectTV, Dish (as soon as you hook their receivers to the Internet), TWC & Uverse collect this data and sell it, at least anonymously.

Your option is to cut the cord and go with a stand alone DVR and antenna and supplement with something like a Roku. I did this more than a year ago and have not looked back. There is more to watch, it's on my terms, and it's far far less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
I dont trust them . How do I know that the "BOX" is not going to let them monitor which shows I watch?
With the figures available for viewing figures if really pushed they could tell what every house watches, having said that that take too much time and effort.

With a box they could take a note of everything you watch, but they would not be allowed to publish client specific data.

Nowadays every email you send is automatically stored in 4 places, having said that a court order would be required to access 2 of those places, and usually a warrant executed for the other 2.

But I digress I hate paying for TV, but I do I find none of the other services work as well as the TV providers DVR, and other than NFL & Soccer games I do not watch live TV anymore. Hence I pay the money for my convenience.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You don't know. I have no proof, but viewing habits are very valuable to advertisers and it's not hard to imagine that DirectTV, Dish (as soon as you hook their receivers to the Internet), TWC & Uverse collect this data and sell it, at least anonymously.

Your option is to cut the cord and go with a stand alone DVR and antenna and supplement with something like a Roku. I did this more than a year ago and have not looked back. There is more to watch, it's on my terms, and it's far far less expensive.

Yep - build a home entertainment pc, connect it to wifi, stream what you want.

Or get a kindle fire hd, prime, or netflix, micro hdmi to hdmi adapter and connect it to the tube. No roku box needed.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
My DVD player has the Netflix app built in. You could probably get a DVD player that has HULU or you could use a computer that has an HDMI cable. I will occasionally hookup a laptop to our receiver via HDMI to watch steamed content on the internet. A computer will allow you access most internet sites and services that a Roku or other device will not. I have used a laptop to access ESPN3.com and stream stuff directly from NBC.com.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
So don't get a box then. What's the problem? They provide a paid service and if you don't like their terms, you're free not to pay for their service.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:

You post on the internet but are worried about what they monitor on TV?

and I'm pretty sure Roku, Netflix and Hulu also keep data on viewing habits...

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So don't get a box then. What's the problem? They provide a paid service and if you don't like their terms, you're free not to pay for their service.
reminds me of people on facebook posting warnings about privacy settings right after letting us know what they had for lunch, posting a photo and using GPS to map their location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte