Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times

Advertisements

Does that not apply to the Charlotte area?

We are looking at resales, mostly older homes with bigger lots. Three bedrooms, two baths. Max. $200K.

We're not looking for perfection although we cannot put an incredible amount of money or time into repairs. We're staying away from HOAs, although subdivisions are fine.

This past weekend we LOVED three homes out of the 20 or so we saw. One was vacant, and two had been partially moved out of ...

Our top two homes have been listed since July 8. Despite making offers just under the listings prices, just as in our last situation, the sellers want full listing price and they don't want to contribute toward closing costs (we asked $2500) or provide a home warranty.

Is it because we are from Jersey? Is there a perception that Northern sellers are rolling in dough? I'm here to tell you we aren't. We don't have a home to sell. There is no equity to get rich on!

So what gives?

We're ready to call it quits and rent for a while.

By the way, for those of you that recall the situation with the first house we were supposed to move into, the seller's agent called this past weekend and wondered if we would be interested in the property if they made all of the repairs. HA! They must be on drugs.

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,853 times
I think that you can get older homes at a deal. You are talking about a house 90 days on the market which is a long time. I would keep trying. Someone is going to be a motivated seller. Also they should know most people are buying new construction.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
We've busted our behinds with multiple offers on resales. I honestly think that the sellers are holding onto some kind of perception that as buyers from Jersey we should simply be willing to pay exactly what they're asking.

We've made fair offers (based on area comps) and nothing yet. Honestly, we have not searched for long and offers have only been on three properties, another three we only went as far as inquiring with the seller's agent on the flexibility in pricing. We have our financing and can readily produce a commitment letter.

We're not desperate. This would be easier if we were in North Carolina, we could take longer with the process, wait people out. But every time we encounter a seller who says, "Nope, we want the full listing price and we won't give any concessions or make any repairs," I want to scream, "Then you really have no interest in selling this home."

I should hear this evening about another offer we made. My other half wanted to only look at homes that were already vacant. I didn't want to limit ourselves. However, we ultimately viewed a number of homes that were vacant or, the moving process had begun. And some of these homes ranged from being built in 1955 to 2002, listed anywhere from 28 to 139 days.

SL

Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
I think it all depends on what market your in price range.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:11 PM

202 posts, read 538,997 times
I would move on. I watch in that price range al the time on realtor.com and most houses are NOT selling and prices are dropping. I think a lot of northerners are buying much higher range houses or looking for new - so your in luck. I have over 30 houses saved on my realtor.com page and have only seen 4 sell in the last 2 months, with many dropping their asking price. Move on and find a good deal.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,241 times
Unhappy Considering Moving to Charlotte

My husband is considering relocating to Charlotte for business, not sure where but is shopping around. Can someone help me find an area where there is low crime, EXCELLENT schools (since I have 2 kids) 6 & 2 y.o.
Our price range for a home is $ 350,000 - 550,000.. HELP....:

Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
Hi there,

I relocated with my family to South Charlotte in 1998 -- now we live in Union County. The school rankings in this area have been consistently high. Check out this website for info

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County -- I can provide detail on which schools are in which areas if you would like -- just PM me.

Take care and good luck in your search

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
[quote=jnktav26;119539]My husband is considering relocating to Charlotte for business, not sure where but is shopping around. Can someone help me find an area where there is low crime, EXCELLENT schools (since I have 2 kids) 6 & 2 y.o.
Our price range for a home is $ 350,000 - 550,000.. HELP....:[/QUOTE

In Union County - Waxhaw, Marvin or Weddington - you couldn't go wrong there

Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 PM

91 posts, read 253,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Does that not apply to the Charlotte area?

We are looking at resales, mostly older homes with bigger lots. Three bedrooms, two baths. Max. $200K.

We're not looking for perfection although we cannot put an incredible amount of money or time into repairs. We're staying away from HOAs, although subdivisions are fine.

This past weekend we LOVED three homes out of the 20 or so we saw. One was vacant, and two had been partially moved out of ...

Our top two homes have been listed since July 8. Despite making offers just under the listings prices, just as in our last situation, the sellers want full listing price and they don't want to contribute toward closing costs (we asked $2500) or provide a home warranty.

Is it because we are from Jersey? Is there a perception that Northern sellers are rolling in dough? I'm here to tell you we aren't. We don't have a home to sell. There is no equity to get rich on!

So what gives?

We're ready to call it quits and rent for a while.

By the way, for those of you that recall the situation with the first house we were supposed to move into, the seller's agent called this past weekend and wondered if we would be interested in the property if they made all of the repairs. HA! They must be on drugs.

SL
Comments:
I just have to throw my thoughts in here to try and help. We were just recently sellers (In Arizona) where last year a hotter than hot sellers market-now gone a little soft)....and this weekend we WILL buy a house in the northern Charlotte surrounding area. Leaving on Thursday for final house hunting trip.

On the selling side, what we did was price our house very fair in order to generate a lot of interest. Therefore, we were not willing to take much less then we listed it for. This resulted in two offers and selling at full price in a shorter period of time. The key here is to indeed list it at a very competitive price. This is what the sellers may think they have done with the homes you have tried to get. The other way of course is to list the home and inflate it a bit because they don't expect full price and allows more negotiation room. This tactic also works as long as the home doesn't stay on the market and get "stale." Personally, I would not even look at a house that I thought was very overpriced, however, I'm probably missing some opportunities that way. There is usually a reason why something stays on the market a long time.

One thing that would be interesting to know is how long is average time on market for homes in your buying area? I'm sure we can find that information on the internet....or a realtor can tell you for certain.

On the buying side, I'm not sure if it makes a hill of beans difference where you are from to a seller. I have read several articles lately that sellers are getting about 98% of their listing prices on average in the Charlotte and surrounding areas. Some get more and some get less. All and all, I go back to the original thought of, - depends if the house is priced right to begin with. Do the comps line up? Do the sellers counter offer or just reject? Although it does appear that your offers have been solid, it really depends on how long the seller wants to carry the mortgage, how motivated they are to move, etc. Every seller’s situation is different so don't give up. If they want more then what you want to pay, then move on and let them try to get it from someone else or decide if it's worth it to you to pay what they are asking. Also, I think it depends on sheer demand in the price range or for a specific area lets say. If there is a lot of interest in your price range, then sellers can be a little pickier on what offers they want to look at because there is someone else waiting in the wings to throw their offer in the hat. What has your realtor said?

Hope this helped and didn't just sound like a bunch of gibberish. Good Luck!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,864 times
Some homeowners NEED to sell, and some owners just WANT to sell.
Some friends of mine in FL have their home listed for 229K but would honestly take less, are they lowering their price? No because they don't NEED to sell.
A house I looked at in Charlotte- the sellers reduced their price to BELOW tax value before the weekend and I made an offer for full price, and still lost it because someones offer (for less than full amount) made it in sat afternoon a few hours before mine and they accepted it thatquickly,no sleeping on it or anything, those people NEEDED to sell for whatever reason.

An investor friend of mine told me numerous times to make a near lowball offer, just too see what that persons bottom line is and to determine which category they fall in; NEED to sell or WANT to sell. If people don't counter offer then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte