Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times

Advertisements

I don't have Sprint...

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I really did have Sprint before I went to Verizon. I remember poor customer service and a fair signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
I've used Verizon extensively in the Carolinas and in the Charlotte area specifically and they're good, but definitely not the best. Over the past year I've also carried an alltel line and the coverage has been even better around Charlotte and especially out into the rural areas. Plans are a lot better too when you look at the minutes for the price and the my circle bonus which is unlimited to any 10 numbers. But while Verizon is more of a huge advertiser and big city provider, and if you ask a lot of people who is best, many will say Verizon, but a lot of that is because of the advertising and many people's lack of trying many providers. It's actually surprising how many places just outside of Charlotte a Verizon phone will switch over to 'Extended Network' and roam on alltel.

Alltel coverage has been far better throughout the Carolinas and their plans make Verizon look far more expensive. Charlotte is where alltel began and it's built out better around the city, calls sound clearer, and the coverage is also better in the rural areas outside the city compared to Verizon. Since alltel has been here longer, they're usually higher on towers and have a stronger signal. I've used them all at some point and am currently using alltel, Verizon and At&t and I would rate them from my own experience and signal comparisons: 1. Alltel, 2. Verizon, 3. At&t, 4. Sprint (avoid), 5. SunCom (avoid). Consumer Reports also ranked them the same way in their latest review for Charlotte except for SunCom which was not included in the comparison.

Last edited by Trevor92; 10-31-2007 at 01:26 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 AM

125 posts, read 376,047 times
I had Verizon and live in Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw and had 4 phones with them. Kept losing signal and dropping calls in my home. Had a trouble ticket and they said that although I had tower 1.5 miles away, I was in poor service area and they didn't plan to upgrade and I could get out of contract which I did and now on Nextel (Husband been on for work). Have completed 1 year but the upgrade plan is awful!! Only get $75 towards full retail although reps over phone said I could upgrade to discount price, when I went to store to do, found out the real story. Now from the sounds of the posts wish I would've gone to Alltel. Any reps out there that can offer any options?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Anyone out there with Cingular/AT&T?? I'm curious to hear if you're having problems with it, especially since AT&T took over.

I've had them for years, never a problem no matter where in the US I traveled to. Kept my NY number to make it easier for relatives there to call us. No problems at all until about 6 mths ago. Now we get dropped calls & dead areas alot.

BxRosie

Old 10-31-2007, 07:12 AM

111 posts, read 527,311 times
verizon!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Can't wait until my contract with Verizon runs out, so that I can switch to another carrier (don't know which one yet).
Verizon's customer service has got to be one of the worst. (Looong story!) They really need to work out the kinks there.
I hate being locked into these long contracts!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 AM

172 posts, read 584,357 times
I have verizon. It is good in most places except at my home in Monroe where I get no signal at all.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 AM

185 posts, read 583,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Can't wait until my contract with Verizon runs out, so that I can switch to another carrier (don't know which one yet).
Verizon's customer service has got to be one of the worst. (Looong story!) They really need to work out the kinks there.
I hate being locked into these long contracts!
I know, for the most part,we have been O.K. with Verizon.Well that is except for those contracts. If you want to change something in your plan,be it major change or minor...whole new contract and they make you sign it in blood.
Although I prefer the Verizon mans voice, Suncom has that jingle i can never get outta my head.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM

237 posts, read 298,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Anyone out there with Cingular/AT&T?? I'm curious to hear if you're having problems with it, especially since AT&T took over.

I've had them for years, never a problem no matter where in the US I traveled to. Kept my NY number to make it easier for relatives there to call us. No problems at all until about 6 mths ago. Now we get dropped calls & dead areas alot.

BxRosie
I am still using my T-Mobile. they dont have 704 numbers so my signal is carried by either Suncom or At&t. This combination works out great. Suncom and T mobile will soon merge and that will give charlotteans an addl option.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times
I have to disagree, I have Sprint and have NO problems.
Work in Charlotte (Park Road/Tyvola area) and live in York SC.
We don't have a land line, just cell and have been VERY happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte