U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 AM

9 posts, read 31,526 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what city would be the best for me to move to. If you live in either of these places please tell me about your city.

info

AAM. SAVED. 20+ I like fast city speed, tall buildings. Huge malls. I'm not into the night life, unless these cities have a club that plays gospel rap, my favorites, Mr. Dell, Canton Jones, Music like that. I Think I'm leaning toward Charlotte, but Atlanta has me thinking. Tell me how you feel about these cities

I've heard so much about these cities. I've heard that Atlanta is the city of the south. I've heard that Charlotte is bigger, newer than Atlanta. I've heard that Charlotte is a smaller Atlanta. I heard that Charlotte is like a big town. I've heard that Charlotte is more a city of business, and Atlanta is more rap music and celbs. I looked up Charlotte, and Atlanta, and it says that Charlotte is larger than Atlanta by population, but when I saw Atlanta It seems to have more skyscrapers, but Charlotte looks more together to me, or does it ? what do you think. I want to hear your opinion so I can make the right move

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 AM

125 posts, read 342,012 times
Been to Atlanta for Sons Baseball tournaments. We stayed near East Cobb but had to travel all over Atlanta for games. What I saw seemed a little drab to me as some of the fields were within subdivisions and the traffic and congestion scared the full out of me. The Braves game was awesome though. I do travel some into downtown Charlotte and we of course get the rush hour traffic but nothing as big as Atlanta with all those changing roads. As far as nightlife goes, well at my age you're probably a little older than my oldest son so I can't help you there. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this forum.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM

382 posts, read 1,746,306 times
Charlotte is not bigger than Atlanta. There's no doubt about that. Atlanta Metro is 5 million plus. Charlotte Metro is about 2.5 million. They both have busy downtown areas, but Atlanta's is huge. As a city layout, Atlanta has other busy areas that are almost like 'mini' downtowns - Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Vinings, Marietta. Charlotte just isn't there yet w/ the surrounding areas - they feel much more suburban.

You seem to really value a strong church system. Top that w/ your love for music and that you're single ... I'd probably look at Atlanta first honestly. You can find all those things in Charlotte, but I think the music and singles scene is bigger in Atlanta.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM

251 posts, read 1,034,792 times
The actual city of Charlotte is much larger than Atlanta--Charlotte has about 670,000 versus 450,000 for Atlanta. However, the previous poster was correct, the Atlanta metro is more than twice as big as the Charlotte metro.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,194,628 times
Default ATL vs CLT

Having lived in both...I say choose CLT. Atlanta is a nightmare. after 20+ years there I was glad to leave. If they're not fighting the Civil War they are fighting race relations/gay lesbian issues. The traffic nightmares never end. My family moved to ATL In 1975 and the DOT is still working on the expressways near the house. They refuse to listen to reason. Do away with exit ramps, this will eliminate traffic jams ?!?! now you have more cars getting off at fewer ramps and tying up traffic trying to get back to where you want to be. Doesn't matter if you are on the expressway or streets...traffic sucks.

Charlotte has its issues...unfortunately it is Atlanta 20 years ago. and the city leaders aren't open to realizing the mistakes ATL made and seem to follow the same route. Perimeter highway...too small from the beginning and it will be 5 years before they can widen the south section of the loop. Most of that is due to Raleigh holding the purse strings.

Job market may be equal but you have to look at all factors. Each city has nightlife, sports, similar weather.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,748,411 times
I think you need to spend time in both cities to really make that choice. We looked at Charlotte and Atlanta, and decided on Atlanta. While the real estate costs were somewhat higher here (and the traffic does suck...lol), I found many more job opportunities here and higher salaries. I also felt that with Atlanta you at least know what you've got- the layout is pretty well established, the traffic stinks but at least you know where it is/what to expect, etc.- Charlotte is still trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up.

While I obviously can't say how happy we would have been in Charlotte, I can tell you that we're thrilled with our new lives in Atlanta.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,631,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Atlanta is a nightmare. after 20+ years there I was glad to leave. If they're not fighting the Civil War they are fighting race relations/gay lesbian issues. The traffic nightmares never end. .
Ditto that. I've lived in Atlanta 3x - once in my late teen/college years, once in my mid-20's, and once in my early 30's.

The first two times, I LOVED Atlanta. The air was clean, the traffic was bearable, and it was fun.

The last time, I was there, I hated every, single minute of it. I think I complained every day of 4 years I was there.

The weather is awful. While they're going through a drought at the moment, in 'normal' years, it rains more than Portland or Seattle.

The air pollution rivals Los Angeles - as does the traffic, and the 'culture' is kind of odd. As the pp mentioned, there are always very visible 'frictions' in the populations.

When my job told me I could move, I put all of my stuff in storage and got on a plane going ANYWHERE within a week. My stuff is still in storage. I hate Atlanta too much to go back and get it.

Finances didn't make a difference in how much I hated the place. I had a 'very' good job (by anyone's standards.)

While I've never lived in Charlotte, I went shopping there last weekend. I thought it was beautiful, and again, as another pp mentioned, it reminded me of Atlanta many years ago.

The one good thing I'll say about Atlanta: It has some really good restaurants. Other than that, there isn't much good I can say about the place.

Oh...did I mention that the airport is AWFUL! A.W.F.U.L.!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 50,817 times
Default Not Atlanta

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what city would be the best for me to move to. If you live in either of these places please tell me about your city
If you are going to work for PSI Group I would stay away from Atlanta. It may be the 'Bold New City Of The South' (their spin) but it is, in my opinion, too fast, too roudy, and too crowded. Atlanta grew immensely in the 70's and 80's but did not upgrade the highway infrastructure to meet the growth, hence, insane traffic problems. You can expect to be stuck in gawd awful traffic no matter where you go or what time it is. It is simply awful.............. Atlanta is also very violent. It is considered the Detroit of the South... if you catch my drift. If PSI has an opening in Charlotte I would take it over Atlanta. Just sayin..................

Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Charlotte is not bigger than Atlanta. There's no doubt about that. Atlanta Metro is 5 million plus. Charlotte Metro is about 2.5 million. They both have busy downtown areas, but Atlanta's is huge. As a city layout, Atlanta has other busy areas that are almost like 'mini' downtowns - Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Vinings, Marietta. Charlotte just isn't there yet w/ the surrounding areas - they feel much more suburban.

You seem to really value a strong church system. Top that w/ your love for music and that you're single ... I'd probably look at Atlanta first honestly. You can find all those things in Charlotte, but I think the music and singles scene is bigger in Atlanta.
And to make the decision harder Canton Jones, and Mr. Dell lives there my favorite artist. I have money to move,and to be confortable for a while, but how is looking for jobs there, I went to Tech college ( word processing) cert.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
The actual city of Charlotte is much larger than Atlanta--Charlotte has about 670,000 versus 450,000 for Atlanta. However, the previous poster was correct, the Atlanta metro is more than twice as big as the Charlotte metro.
What cities are in Atlantas, Metro? How far are they from the actual city itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or