Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
The problem, however, is that a lot of new arrivals are retired people who won't be working and people with menial jobs (not, including the $56k/ yr jobs at MetLife). Thus, the new additions don't add much to the economy.
Hmm. Real retirees who also relocate usually have access to significant financial assets that are far greater than the average person in the USA.

I continue to contend however that NC's tax situation along with the tax policies of Charlotte/Mecklenburg are not friendly to retirees. IMO, most, with assets, will go to states that are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What a random time frame, 2007-2011. This also doesn't take the new metro configuration into account, which puts Charlotte's MSA at around 2.3 million.
But this was just changing lines on a map. Just like the Triangle's metro getting split into two pieces.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM

241 posts, read 304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm. Real retirees who also relocate usually have access to significant financial assets that are far greater than the average person in the USA.

I continue to contend however that NC's tax situation along with the tax policies of Charlotte/Mecklenburg are not friendly to retirees. IMO, most, with assets, will go to states that are.
I am a retired military field grade office along with other things. I chose N.C. over S.C. because I do not pay state income tax on my military retirement pay. That is not the case in S.C. There are some professions for which retirees don't pay state tax at retirement time. Other than that, taxation is about average and a bit better than the states larger than N.C. So, N.C. is as retirement friendly as any other state where retirees pay state income tax. The advantage is the savings in utilities, insurance premiums, and property tax.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
.... So, N.C. is as retirement friendly as any other state where retirees pay state income tax. The advantage is the savings in utilities, insurance premiums, and property tax.
Most retirees are not in the military and IMO, the state should make the exemptions the same for all.

If you have a private pension then NC only exempts $2000. SC exempts far more than that. Fla doesn't tax it at all. If you live in Charlotte, then there are substantial property taxes, sales taxes and a host of other fees that are regressive against people on retirement.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
But this was just changing lines on a map. Just like the Triangle's metro getting split into two pieces.
It was more than just changing lines on a map; it was a reflection of higher commuting patterns that are happening in real life. Incidentally, some of those counties were previously included in the MSA before the 2003 revisions.

At any rate, I was just saying that the MSA definition as indicated by population isn't up to date.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM

338 posts, read 897,243 times
Quote:

Hmm.

Wealthy people from NY, Boston, Chicago, etc spend the winter in South Florida after they retire. Retirees that come to Charlotte from NYC area, for example, tend to be cops, firemen, mass transit workers, etc. whose pensions have greater value in an inexpensive place. They sell their shacks in Nassau Cty for $600k and buy a new 5k sf house in Union County for the same $600k. However, as blue collar retirees, they're not adding a lot to the economy.

Charlotte's increase in population is not because its economy is booming and people are coming for great jobs, which would further grow the economy.

Many who come are dead weight.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Hmm.

.... Retirees that come to Charlotte from NYC area, for example, tend to be cops, firemen, mass transit workers, etc. whose pensions have greater value in an inexpensive place. .....
You obviously are not familiar with the pensions of NYC cops. They will hardly be a drag on the economy and your generalizations are nonsense.

BTW, wealthy people no longer retire in S. Fla. That was what they did 50 years ago. Many DO come to NC. This IS what they do now.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times
Quote:
Most retirees are not in the military and IMO, the state should make the exemptions the same for all.

If you have a private pension then NC only exempts $2000. SC exempts far more than that. Fla doesn't tax it at all. If you live in Charlotte, then there are substantial property taxes, sales taxes and a host of other fees that are regressive against people on retirement.

SC is winning with retirees in places like Hikton Head, Myrtle Beach, Beaufort.....

Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 AM

338 posts, read 897,243 times
Quote:
You obviously are not familiar with the pensions of NYC cops. They will hardly be a drag on the economy and your generalizations are nonsense.

BTW, wealthy people no longer retire in S. Fla. That was what they did 50 years ago. Many DO come to NC. This IS what they do now.
In reply to your statement, "You [sic] obviously not familiar with the pensions of NYC cops," I am. I lived in NY for many years.

Moreover, wealthy people from NY, for example, don't leave places like Scarsdale, Great Neck, and Centre Island, to move into far lesser quality homes on largely treeless lots in Weddington Chase, the Chimneys of Marvin, or Hollister. They stay in NY in the summer and spend the winter in $1m+ properties in Florida. Blue collar workers, by contrast, now choose the Carolinas over Florida because their money goes much further here.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 AM

109 posts, read 200,239 times
The survey is actually Bloomberg finance and not Yahoo - just to clarify.

I think Charlotte is definitely on the upswing as witnessed in the number of building projects, company relocation recently to here, and population growth though I say that based more on 2011-current more than the 2007-2011 years of the survey (which I think they chose because that was the main period of the recession so they wanted to see what cities were still growing in that period.)

Though the legacy economic driver, Charlotte is more than banking and finance though as a lot of energy and tech companies as well as a few manufacturers have begun to set up either operation bases or divisional/ U.S./national headquarters here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte