Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,358,287 times

Advertisements

Nothing on the outer side of 485 is going to get you to Southpark in 20 minutes unless you're driving at 2 in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

751 posts, read 927,082 times
Just want to say thanks to everyone for their input. We ended up in a south ballantyne rental. Not ideal location, but the rental market was tight and it was the best we could find. Only rentals available in olde providence were 70s style town homes.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 972 times
Default Weddington or Matthews? Ridgewood or franklin Lakes?

We are relocating to the Charlotte area in January 2014 and we have decided on the town of Weddington, but the side that has the Matthews address. My questions is this: Since Weddington has the 3rd highest household income in the state of NC is this town full of obnoxious people? We currently live in Franklin Lakes NJ, a very wealthy town, but very down to earth. We are looking for a similar area and it seems that on paper Weddington is the place for us. But we want to live among young families and develop life long loyal friends. My wife is a stay at home mother, so we want a neighborhood that has lots of other stay at home moms. Not interested in nannies or a neighborhood where both parents work.

Thank you for any help!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,771,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenBill View Post
We are relocating to the Charlotte area in January 2014 and we have decided on the town of Weddington, but the side that has the Matthews address. My questions is this: Since Weddington has the 3rd highest household income in the state of NC is this town full of obnoxious people? We currently live in Franklin Lakes NJ, a very wealthy town, but very down to earth. We are looking for a similar area and it seems that on paper Weddington is the place for us. But we want to live among young families and develop life long loyal friends. My wife is a stay at home mother, so we want a neighborhood that has lots of other stay at home moms. Not interested in nannies or a neighborhood where both parents work.

Thank you for any help!
Based on your criteria of young families and stay at home moms etc, you would want the Union side of Weddington. I lived there and loved it and the schools are top notch. You will see some snooty people but the majority I have encountered are warm and friendly. This is JUST my personal experience and I am sure some might say otherwise as their experience is different. (and that's fine!) But the families I have met on the Matthews side of Weddington leans more toward the both parents working. (This is through the Y and church I met) But again just my impression.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM

If you consider Franklin Lakes (I know it very well!) to be down to earth, than I'm pretty sure you'd be happy just about anywhere, provided there are other wealthy people around you. But keep in mind Bergen Bill, wherever you go, from the toniest neighborhood to the most sketch, there are working mothers everywhere! So your wife may have to deal with a babysitter/nanny, or, God forbid, a stay at home dad. They're everywhere too!

UDcc - there are no townhomes in Olde Providence, not sure what you were looking at.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 PM

Looking at it with the best possible light, I see him asking about Stay At home moms so that his wife will have others to "hang" out with during the day for playdates, get togethers etc. I didn't see it as a slam against working moms.

(I never heard of Franklin either. Off to google it)

Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM

M23 - It's in Bergen County, NJ, very close to my hometown. A beautiful suburb of NYC. You might recognize the name from the Real Housewives of NJ. I believe a few of them live there. I knew what Bergen Bill was saying and was just funnin' with him, as we say down here. If he's a good Jersey boy, he's got tough skin.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
M23 - It's in Bergen County, NJ, very close to my hometown. A beautiful suburb of NYC. You might recognize the name from the Real Housewives of NJ. I believe a few of them live there. I knew what Bergen Bill was saying and was just funnin' with him, as we say down here. If he's a good Jersey boy, he's got tough skin.
I looked it up and it does look nice. Don't watch much TV so I didn't know of it. Sorry it's a sensitive topic with working and stay at home moms. Sigh. Carry on, don't mind me.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM

430 posts, read 801,254 times
I live in Wesley Chapel and have friends in Weddington. There snooty types of people exist of course, but I've found they are the minority and there are plenty of people who are down to earth and nice. There are tons of other people in the area from NJ and the northeast in general in western UC. I recommend your wife join UnionCountyMommies.com to make friends. There are tons of us SAHMs here! This website is how I made all my friends when I first moved here, and it's great if you have any aged kids, not just super young ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte