U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 114,213 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of joining Aflac. I was told you have to pay $2400 for a new laptop from them. Has anyone heard of this? I was wondering why I just can't use mine and download the data base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 114,167 times
Default interview w aflac

i just had an interview with aflac..............you have to pay for 2 licenses and pay for lap top, office space, business cards that's what i know so far.........still don't know for sure if it is a 100 % commission only............or if they will provide a car for the once who will do good in the first 6 months?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM

870 posts, read 2,384,901 times
Not sure what 2 licenses they require. I assume that they are life and health. The training materials are costly but you can borrow from someone who already took the test. Same material every year. Negotiate for them to pay the license fees.
Laptop is not a necessity. Can still file forms and policies by mail to the hq. Of course they want you to buy a laptop for the direct policy submission and speed. If you work with another agent, split the laptop costs with them. Or find someone that is selling theirs. I have seen them around.
Office space, only if you want an office in their office. I worked from home. There are many tax advantages to it and don't have the costs of an office.
Business Cards, can get them almost for free off the internet. Small price to pay.
AFLAC is no different than any other company, NY Life, Northwestern, Mass Mutual, etc as far as charging agents for office space, coffee machine, copy machine, library, etc.
Most insurance sales is 100% commission.
They do not provide cars to agents.

Talk to an accountant if you are serious about selling insurance. Home office expenses not paid by the company are all tax deductible. Business Cards not purchased by the company are also tax deductible. Basically any expense that you have in relation to your insurance business, not paid for by the company is deductible. Even car expenses (repairs, gas, mileage, etc) for when you go out to see clients are deductible.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 114,044 times
Default purchase of laptop required?

i have also been offered a position at aflac and have done some homeowork as to what other people say and think about being at aflac. one thing that i did come across that made me a little worried was that some people have had to buy a special laptop that comes from aflac. however, when i went to the interview, the guy i talked with stated something about coming in in the morning and grabbing a laptop. do you think that this means that the laptops are provided or am i going to have to pay for a lap top??? thanks

Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 114,892 times
This reply is really for "everyone" who is talking about position with AFLAC... I have been in the insurance industry for 12 years and LOVE it!
1. You are not applying for a "position" with AFLAC - you are starting your OWN business and you paying the normal "start-up" costs of starting your OWN business (business cards, computers, etc). There are no company cars, because you are NOT an "employee" of AFLAC (employees only work in the home office behind the screen making about minimum wage)
2. Every insurance carrier has software and some do NOT allow just anyone to have it, to avoid SCAM artists from making people think they are buying a product.
3. unless you are an "employee" paying for your own insurance license is Normal (because it is YOUR license- you can go work for Any insurance company with a license)- Just like a Real Estate license.
4. Some insurance companies will "hire" you as a rep and pay you a VERY low starting salary w/ some commissions.
5. AFLAC is 100% commission = your Own Business, so you make as much or as little as your area /your drive will allow. (I mean if you like in a town of 10k people and there are 6 AFLAC agents or Allstate agents or State Farm agents- you may only make $20k a year at best)- but you are only limited by where you have licenses.

1st year agents typically make $25k -$40k (unless your family is VERY connected)
- then you get renewal commissions every year a person keeps a policy...

I made $57k my 1st year... but I worked 50-60 hours (on & off) some weeks 20 hrs to start my business. Now, only a few years later I make over $100k and my last "JOB" was NEVER going to pay me that amount.

If you are a Natural Sales person AFLAC is for you! if you an "employee" looking for company cars, expense accounts, = AFLAC not for you.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 113,826 times
Default Agent

I am an agent for Aflac, currently in Ca and planning to move to NC soon.
Aflac is company that rewards "Effort" and encourages minimal producers. Some have compared Aflac to MLM companies, however, there are very little, if any, up front fees, unlike MLM companies. Once started and performing well, you pay for what you use, ie, telephone, office supplies, cubicle, etc. In the beginning, you share your earnings with whoever is helping you along or your "mananger". Be prepared to walk for miles on end gathering business cards. Be ready to accept negative resopnses while calling potential prospects. Set your objectives at a reachable level but when sure about where you are going, set your goal as high as you are willing to go and capable of reaching. Become wealthy or survive comfortably, your choice as a free agent. Apex is the closest loction to where I will be staying, so we may never meet each other, but yes, go for it IF you are really serious. The drop out rate is roughly 80%

Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 142,003 times
I recently Googled Aflac sales because I recently accepted an offer from a local Aflace rep. I am currently taking an online class to get my Oregon insurance license. I vastly appreciate everyone's advice and insight into this topic. I was in law enforcement for 13 years prior to this, and needless to say I am a little scared but very excited about this new job. I expect to get somewhat frustrated during my first year as I learn the ropes, and hope to make a career out of this. I plan on getting a good accountant to reap the maximum benefits out of deductions, as others have suggested.

One question. Since I was "hired" by a local Aflac rep, who will get a certain percentage of my sales, did I just lose some potential salary as opposed to calling the 800 number on the Aflac webiste? Or would they have directed me to call my local rep anyway?

I think my expectations are fairly realistic. I realize this will take a lot of hard work, some of which will be new to me. Mostly, making cold calls - I don't have any experience with this. Fortunately, I have always had a ton of respect for Aflac (I had Aflac during my entire police career) and will have a lot of confidence in selling a good product. I'm not sure that I will make a TON of money doing this, and will be satisfied earning a decent living as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. I am also looking forward to having weekends off and being able to take a day off whenever I really need to - as long as I don't abuse it.

Tony

Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 112,705 times
Tony - I am thinking of starting w/Aflac, so I am curious if you started yet, and if so, how have things been going these past 6 weeks or so. Hope you say excellent!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 130,328 times
Hello
I am also interested in working for Aflac.
Is it possible if someone could point me in the correct direction at this time to meeting with a recruiting agent?
Also, wanted to know if anyone is currently in Charlotte NC who is working for Aflac.

During this difficult financial crisis would this be a good or bad time for agents??

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me at this time.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 113,284 times
Default Working As A Sales Representative For Aflac

Aflac reps can make a good income - but the price to achieve any degree of success is one that you need to be aware of before you begin.

As a company, Aflac is one of the better "corporate citizens". They provide good service to their policy holders and there is a place for the types of products they offer.

However as an Aflac representative, the "micro-management" you will be subjected to as described below, whether it is coming from Aflac corporate (unknown) or is just being allowed by Aflac to be done the way it is (by those non-employees who are former field agents as you will be that have been promoted into non-Aflac-employee "management" positions), it will feel the same to you regardless of "where the buck stops" as to the source of the control being exercised over you. So whether the "micro-management" over your activities is from Aflac corporate directed down through field managers or more from the field managers (who are not Aflac employees and are still independent representatives) operating under loose guidelines from Aflac corporate who insert a lot of their own "management"/requirements of you, the feeling of being controlled will be the same either way for you on a personal level.

You are told that you will be the "CEO of your own company" because you will be an "independent agent'. You will not be an Aflac employee, yes, you will be an "independent agent", yes - but as to being the "CEO of your own company" - don't you believe it!

You are the last in line to be CEO of "your own company".

All of the local Aflac management from your "District Manager" and up will be the CEOs of your company. Everything you do and say is highly scripted and regimented by them, not you.

What you say to a receptionist will be SCRIPTED to be performed as they require just as to what is to be said to any business owner that will talk to you.

How many calls a day is scripted, and reports, reports, reports on your daily activities are very detailed and probing. What you forecast you were going to sell, how many "approaches" to new businesses, how many presentations to business owners, and on and on will be required of you to submit on a weekly (and otherwise) basis.

You even be given, for example, what to say when a receptionist or business owner says "You are the "fifth Aflac representative in this month" - because they flood the market with representatives hoping, I guess, that a few will stick and those that don't, well, if they write a little business the company still benefits. There are no "protected" territories. Not unusual for any "independent representative" but don't go into the relationship thinking there will be any territorial protection for you.

There is one other little wrinkle you won't be told about by those interviewing you. You will be assigned production "quotas" by your local managers - and if you don't meet them, well, they actually can if they choose to assign accounts you have opened to someone else if you aren't getting enough business developed from them. How about that - for bringing pressure to bear upon an "independent representative" as yet another "control" mechanism.

After all is said and done, you have virtually NO SAY in how you want to run "your business" or regarding what you want to say (even though they give lip-service to "creating your own script" - don't you believe it - it's discouraged where the 'rubber-meets-the-road'). You have all the tax liabilities and have to provide your own benefits because you are not an Aflac employee. While Aflac does discount its policies for its employeess, since Aflac is not "Major Medical" or "Disability" insurance - you are still vunerable to having to pay out a LOT of money for actual medical and disability insurance. Aflac is "supplemental" insurance and yes, they "pay cash directly to the policy owner" - but that doesn't amount to much in relation to hospital, surigical, office visits, etc., actual charges incurred by you and/or your family for any medical treatment. Remember - as an employee with group benefits, medical costs are reimbursed less a deductible and co-pay but not so for an "independent contractor.

You are on your own to cover personal and family medical and disability expenses - plus - all of your business related expenses!

So - there is a lot of wash-out. Some because they simply have so little sales background (which is the defense for all the scripted demands), others because they don't like being treated like an employee except with no paycheck and no benefits instead of how an independent insurance representative is SUPPOSED to be treated.

If you are o.k. still going into a representative relationship with Aflac knowing all the above, go for it. Money can be made, and is by a lot of those who make it, scripted and all, but just know what you are getting in to before you sign up.

Best of success - no matter which way you choose to go.

Last edited by Grrr82CU; 02-11-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte