U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 193,956 times

Advertisements

I Appreciate the honesty and the dedicated time you gave in explaining the pros and cons of Aflac.

You have given me a lot to consider and I have made my decision.

Thank you so much for your guidance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 20,843 times
I recently went through the sales school and was pursuing new accounts. I to found that the area has been saturatated with new agents and everywhere I went in had already been hit several times. My trainer then told me the amount of dollars the person had quoted me as making the first year was way off base and I should only expect to make about 12K. The trainer also stated that in this enviorment they were not making any money and they were pursuing other options. This really discourged me but the honesty was appreciated since I did not want to bang my head against the wall. It seems they will hire anyone with a pulse and send them out. I also found out that the manager is still recriuiting new agents. Your start up cost are going to be about $300 for testing and training.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 20,787 times
Default AFLAC question

My wife recently was hired with AFLAC as an Independent Agent. She has received a few commission checks for new business. My question or concern rather is that of taxes. When does she pay Federal, State, Social Security, Medicare.....etc. As an agent are we suppossed to hold back money to pay at end of year, if so how much is a good figure so we don't end upside down. Additionally I don't know if any amount is coming out of the checks she received. I know it is listed as an Agent Fee when it goes direct to her checking account. Any infomation you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,699,239 times
If you do take a job there, kill that bloody duck!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 56,466 times
Default Would love some expert input

Hi, I run a sales training company and I'm calling on Aflac. Right now, I'm talking to them about overcoming objections. I would love some input from anyone who sold for Aflac on the objections they heard. If you have any thoughts on overcoming them, I would love to know that too.

And I agree with everyone who said selling for Aflac is not for the faint of heart.
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 PM
LLN

4,975 posts, read 8,693,661 times
AFLAC, the view from the other side.

I was in my local gun shop the other day, a pretty manly place, camo, jeans, and such, and noticed this mousy little guy in black suit and narrow black tie perusing the ladies t-shirts.

When the place got a little quiet, he approached the guy behind the counter, and started his script. "Won't cost you a cent," "Great employee benefits," "Retain key employees" etc, etc, etc.

He was dismissed rather rudely, when he finally said he was from AFLAC, after a long long time and the owner stated he bought AFLAC from his brother in law, and that why in the world did AFLAC send in someone different to bother him daily.

I used to work in another level of insurance, and we called these guys, "white shoes Johnsons." I really felt sorry for this poor guy since he had no sales rap, just was saying the words, and looking very very uncomfortable in doing so.

If you are not a dynamite sales guy, or have any qualms about talking face to face with strangers in a not necessarily "friendly" environment, since AFLAC is about pure, unadulterated sales, I would run from this opportunity.

If you have the gift for sales (and I know I do not) then you can do quite well, though market saturation would remain a huge concern.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 56,466 times
Default Thanks!

This is a great story and it helps a lot to picture the Aflac agent working. Thanks for sharing it. Good hunting!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 115,359 times
If you suck you won't be doing it long. It's a damn good product and they make excellent money per sale, I know, I do it. If I go into a gun shop, I'm not going to come in looking like a dick. I'll wear a suit and tie, but I'll ask about the .45 behind the couter and look at it. Only a fool would go to a place of business where they won't fit in. I work with blue-collar industries because I've got an iq of 180 but I worked construction & was a gunsmith. I know guns, I know trucks, cars, but I can blend in an office environment. Also--a good sales agent will buy something in exchange for business. The shop sells a $800 gun, and the agent gets $5k in commission. COmmon sense.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:31 PM

If you are a smart and motivated person, you CAN make tremendous money. I won't waste my time most of hte time with a company of three people. If they've been bugged by 90 million aflac people, I tell 'em sorry, let 'em go. I deal mostly with 30, 40, 50-man companies, people who can use it. If you have business sense, and honestly believe in what you're doing, you WILL make at LEAST $50k in a year (I made 15k in four days just last week, not to mention the 2k a month I'll get just for picking up more checks). I started with aflac out of desperation, because I hated sales, hated the idea of working for free, but had been unemployed for four months and my landlord was tired of working iwth me since I had almost $1000 of back rent. A month later, I was asking him how much to buy the rowhome myself, my girlfriend, and my neighbor live in. I spent two weeks not really knowing what I was doing, and looked like an idiot. But I realized that I needed to use some common sense, and with common sense, I make mad money. Maybe I can get a nice F-250 super duty...:0)

Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM

BTW: market saturation is actually low. Most people get calls but think we're health insurance. Comparing us to health insurance is like comparing Aetna or Blue Cross Blue Shield to Geico or ALlstate. If they've been called a lot, I tell 'em I'll give their employees a free lunch and a few scratch offs and that we aren't health insurance, and we're pretty damn inexpensive. If they're no tinto even giving me ten minutes then, I just say "okay, well, never mind. Take care. See ya". Once you meet three owners, anyway, you'll end up meeting 90% of the time people who've been called but have no idea and, when recommended from who you've already met with, they won't object. :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or