Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 4,331 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to Charlotte from Minnesota. I am looking for recommendations on neighborhoods with a lot of children. We have two children ages 9 and 10. In the neighborhood we live in now, there are 105 homes and 260 children, literally every home has kids! My children always have several friends their age to play with, we carpool often to activities and feel very safe with the kiddo's running around the neighborhood on their own. I am looking for a neighborhood like this with good public schools. My husband will be working in Uptown, but is open to the light-rail if that helps the commute. We have visited Charlotte twice, and have looked at different areas. My first choice is Ballantyne Country Club but I am worried that there aren't many children nearby. We also are interested in Matthews, Weddington and Marvin. We also looked at the new McLean development at Lk Wylie but I worry it's too far from everything. Our price range is around $700,000-$950,000. Any recommendations on specific subdivisions/areas is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmenkh View Post
Our family will be relocating to Charlotte from Minnesota. I am looking for recommendations on neighborhoods with a lot of children. We have two children ages 9 and 10. In the neighborhood we live in now, there are 105 homes and 260 children, literally every home has kids! My children always have several friends their age to play with, we carpool often to activities and feel very safe with the kiddo's running around the neighborhood on their own. I am looking for a neighborhood like this with good public schools. My husband will be working in Uptown, but is open to the light-rail if that helps the commute. We have visited Charlotte twice, and have looked at different areas. My first choice is Ballantyne Country Club but I am worried that there aren't many children nearby. We also are interested in Matthews, Weddington and Marvin. We also looked at the new McLean development at Lk Wylie but I worry it's too far from everything. Our price range is around $700,000-$950,000. Any recommendations on specific subdivisions/areas is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance !

NC is something like 45th in the nation for schooling... the best you'll get is 45th worth of education.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:31 PM

157 posts, read 156,958 times
Without the blathering small talk, strong schools in Chartlotte (Mecklenburg) means something not mentionable in public forums. For your price range of housing factor in private education or Union County or even SC. Late Senator Patrick Moynihan's observation of proximity to border with Canada related to educational and criminal outcomes is underrated.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,624 times
South Charlotte, Weddington, Marvin area have many young family neighborhoods and good schools, many ranked in top 15 for NC. https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...north-carolina

Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
Good schools in Ballantyne, Weddington and Marvin but that is going to be a heck of a commute for your husband.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:44 AM

120 posts, read 139,983 times
At that price range couldn't the OP find something in Myers Park, which would greatly help her husband's commute? Also I know a couple in Ballantyne with small kids and I don't believe they're outliers or anything, but it won't be like your old neighborhood, either.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:52 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmenkh View Post

I have found the price range you are contemplating is not where the preponderance of children are found in Meck/Union areas. The 350 to 650K range finds more children in the neighborhood. Despite that, if you are still staring down the barrel of that price range, Union County has some nice neighborhoods on the fringe of Mecklenburg County that fit. Longview, Highgate, Bromley, Stratford Hall, Rose Hill (off Tilley Morris), Waybridge (off Beulah Church Rd), Skyecroft (near Weddington school cluster), Chatelaine (right next-door to Skyecroft), Firethorne. There are various stages of Providence Downs and related/adjacent neighborhoods in the Crane Rd/Marvin Rd/New Town Rd area.
Those are just a few in the tiny corner of Union County that borders Ballantyne and Meck. Co. There are plenty more in that price range spread around Marvin, Weddington and beyond.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 AM

107 posts, read 195,371 times
With the proposed work location being uptown...I would first look at the close by neighborhoods in the Dilworth/Myers Park area. This section of town has good public schools. Your price range will afford you a very reasonable selection there.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:38 AM

751 posts, read 934,488 times
In the areas the OP mentioned, there should be plenty of kids in those areas. It's rare that the couple without children wants to buy a $700K home in a large neighborhood with great schools an hour out of the city. People buy into those neighborhoods specifically for the kids. In general, the larger the neighborhood, the more likely you'll find kids your age.

As others have mentioned, just know that in the areas you're looking, your husband will see a 45-60+ minute commute...worse on the way home than the way there. Check google maps and adjust the time of day to get a feel for commute times.

Another area to look would be within the Providence HS zone. You'll get a bit less house for your money, but commute times will be 10-15 minutes shorter. Providence Plantation is a huge development with lots of children, as is the area off Elizabeth Lane (lots of smaller developments, all off a small side rd walkable to the elementary school).

Old 05-28-2019, 09:52 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
NC is something like 45th in the nation for schooling... the best you'll get is 45th worth of education.

OP, please ignore this person and read the ratings on these HS: Marvin, Weddington, Providence High, etc.

At your price range you can find great homes in any of the neighborhoods that feed these top high schools (middle schools feeding to them are just as great).
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte