U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,623 times

Advertisements

The fact of the matter is, people with families are going to move to the suburban, exurban counties because of the lower taxes, quality of schools, etc., while the young single professionals and some families and retired babyboomers who desire city living are going to move into the city because of the amenities available, simple as that! Depending on what stage in your life you are in, thats what will drive a persons decision to move where!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 AM

642 posts, read 987,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I think you'd be surprised at the percentage of people who would disagree with that statement.
Therein lies the root of the problem. Many people are so pre-occupied with cutting costs and finding the lowest possible tax levels that they lose sight of the fact that if you pay a bit more, you tend to get a bit more.

Personally I like the way that Mecklenburg county responds quickly to requests for houshold waste (non-trash) removal and a number of other minor qualatitive features that, for me, put Mecklenburg ahead of say, York county, SC for service and quality. Of course this is subjective but, it is what I think.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 AM

93 posts, read 158,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What if you move to a house that is the same size and work on the county line? Or have a job where you telecommute. The vast majority of jobs in Mecklenburg are not in downtown.

The savings can be quite significant. It's why Ballentyne is looking to break away from CLT. It's why the 6 towns in Mecklenburg will never consolidate governments with CLT.
I posted this same statement with a link to Wiki in another thread. Less that 5% of Charlotte's workforce are employed in Uptown, yet many who live relatively close seem to be uncomfortably defensive when someone suggests the area isn't where they prefer to live (Seen in the Applebee's & Freeloader comments). As areas like Ballantyne, Concord, and Huntersville attract more businesses, it would make much more sense, from a commute standpoint, to live in surrounding counties.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM

28,404 posts, read 61,893,751 times
Quote:
High taxes driving 1000s out of Charlotte
I though high taxes is what drove everyone to NC and CLT?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
What if you move to a house that is the same size and work on the county line? Or have a job where you telecommute.
I would wonder why they didnt move there to begin with... lol.

My question wasnt for those who move into the same size house and work at home on the county line. My question was for those in the article bragging about buying twice the house and saying taxes played a big part in the move.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,895,436 times
Quote:
A serious discussion doesn't start with sarcastic laughter at what the other party has to say. For the first 1/2 of the 20th century, Detroit became the 4th largest city in the USA with a local economy to match. I am sure that in 1959, if you had told someone there that by the end of the 20th the century that Detroit would be come the ruins that it is today, you would have gotten the same sort of laughter. But it did happen none the less.

The comparison is valid. It's illogical to automatically dismiss the mistakes made in Detroit because of the assumptions those mistakes can't happen here.
No, sorry, the comparisons are not legitimate. This is just talk radio junk, nothing more. Detroit became a large city based on the growth of the auto industry and labor intensive manufacturing plants that surrounded the area. It was a time when American manufacturers had a lock on the market. Due to politicial reasons, the rise of Japanese manufacturers and mistakes by American companies, Detroit is now on the downside. How far will it drop, who knows. I think it is close to the bottom based on recent financial results by Ford & GM. In addition, some tech companies are now locating there. How does this relate to Charlotte and taxes, it doesn't. And, it is not sarcastic laughter to suggest that these comparison are a stretch at best. As I said, they are for talk radio's griping.

Based on economic fact, the thought that people are leaving Meck County for a singular reason is false. First, Meck continues to grow, now close to 1m residents. Second, MANY factors contribute to people living in a certain area. Third, people will pay more to live in Charlotte as evidenced by the higher home values, especially area 5. Fourth, you and others are trying to explain a dependent variable (people moving) with a singular explanatory variable and ignoring all others. Finally, for someone who sells a house to move strictly based on taxes, their payback will almost be negative, not a wise decision. Absolutely NONE of this has anything to do with Detroit.

I guess if you hold onto the Detroit comparison, you can also make the argument that Charlotte is a success because of investments in rail, roads, and amenities. London, Paris, LA, Munich, Minneapolis, NYC, Boston and many leading cities have all invested billions into public projects, models that Charlotte is utilizing. And, it is working, Charlotte continues to grow and attract companies which allows suburban counties to grow as well.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
So it's stupid for someone who works in Ballantyne to but a house in Lancaster County when they are like 3 or 4 miles from work? Or Cabarrus county when they work in University City? No....Everyone does not work downtown people.....
I don't think it is stupid. But, you have also proven the thread's thesis to be incorrect which I agree with. People move to other coounties for many reasons, taxes are not the driving force. Many variables contribute to where folks live, schools, home prices, family, commute patterns etc....taxes are part of the equation, they are not the equation.

Again, while it may play well on talk radio or for a reporter without a business degree, it is completely false. Besides, in most cases, housing in the city's core is rapidly being redeveopled. It certainly will not stop housing in the suburban counties but, in Charlotte and across the country, the core has higher home values which suggests that these are the locations which are most desirable.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

Based on economic fact, the thought that people are leaving Meck County for a singular reason is false. First, Meck continues to grow, now close to 1m residents. ....
Yet the article linked in the OP has video interviews of people that did exactly this. flaming

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-04-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Yet the article linked in the OP has video interviews of people that did exactly this. You haven't provided anything "factual" to the contrary.
Based on the article...

Facts:
Buying a new home cost money
Buying more furniture cost money
Heating and cooling a home cost more money
Fuel for the longer commute cost money
Larger lot, lawn care cost money

These expenses vs tax savings are what we are debating... one also has to realize taxes will eventually rise in these counties as more people move there. The article said Meck is still growing so I doubt we will see Detroit in Charlotte unless its for a sporting event. A whole lot has to go wrong... and the chances of that happening are slim to none in our lifetime.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 05-04-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Yet the article linked in the OP has video interviews of people that did exactly this. You haven't provided anything "factual" to the contrary.

mod cut flaming

1. People buy houses to be close to work
2. People buy houses to be close to family
3. People buy houses to have a larger home than they could afford in other parts of the metro
4. People buy houses for schools

The fact that this is true proves that saying people buy in other counties because of taxes alone is completely false and has absolutely no economic merit. Sorry, taxes are part of the equation, they are not THE equation, it is that simple.

As for the interviews, that is meaningless. As you can see on this board, many here would give a different article. Selecting a few folks to interview is statistically wrong if you are trying to make conclusions, the selections are not randon and the sample size is way to small.

It is simple, would someone working in Ballantyne chose to live in Myers Park or Lancaster county all factors being equal other than property taxes? The fact that a house in Myers Park is 5x the same price of a Lancaster County home shows that people value Myers Park more even with higher taxes.

In simple terms, the reporter tried to explain a very complicated economic situation in a 30 second segment. He does no understand all of the variables that contribute to making economic choices. To say that one variable is driving people out may sound good to a neo con or WBT listeners but, it is eonomically false.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-04-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or