Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM

284 posts, read 606,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
In choosing UC over Charlotte, our reasons have been:

#1 - schools
#2 - crime rate & safety
#3 - family oriented neighborhood where kids can play safe around the house
#4 - contemporary house on large lot & backyard privacy
#5 - facilities: wooded walking trails, pool, tennis courts, etc
#6 - proximity to a large airport and large city facilities
#7 - less pollution (including air, noise) so we can enjoy a clear sky at night

Somewhere way down the list it is taxes, but nowhere near the top as many make it believe.
From talking with friends and neighbors, many who chose UC share similar priorities.
This, exactly. +1 - Also, I have to say I'm amused by the assumptions others make about "going to Applebees for dinner", etc. Any denser urban area is going to have more dining options - but the assumption of many of you (ahem) highly sophisticated urbanites that Ballantyne/Blakeney/Union County is all chain restaurants and traffic - is very misguided. There are positives and negatives to every area, and you are free to make your own choices. Very few on this board seem to be able to evaluate their own needs without passing judgment on other people or areas - and those judgments are typically based on incorrect assumptions (i.e, one poster who is always down on Ballantyne because women supposedly wear nice workout/yoga outfits, and are therefore looking down on her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
Money isn't everything.

I think you'd be surprised at the percentage of people who would disagree with that statement.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
Well, 7 counties directly border Meck. Union, Cabarrus, Chester, York, Gaston, Lincoln and Iredell. I may be missing one, I didn't check. Sorry if I missed someone. So I mean, it's such a minimal amount, it's borderline negligible. I'm okay with these people leaving though. They are the ones that prefer to freeload off of others and are usually in the way of progressive growth. Without their incessant whining, this city can further develop it's transit system, park system, ect.

Ahh, yess. We are incessant whiners and crybabies because we aren't happy with the tax rate. Makes perfect sense to me. I guess all those people who now agree that the revaluation was flawed and are addressing it at the state level are enablers? God forbid those who got hit the hardest not complain about the taxes. But we just aren't progressive enough. Is that how this works? We are supposed to be okay with the idea that the county raised property taxes for thousands of homeowners and now the city wants to do it, knowing it will likely result in the same monumental cluster-f?

I guess I better pack my bags and get out of the way of you so-called progressives so Charlotte can bloom into a modern day utopia. I'd hate for a couple of us unhappy folk to **** on your little parade.

And, might I ask where you are from? Any chance you'd like to see Charlotte turn into where you lived prior to relocating? Nah. Couldn't be possible.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

78 posts, read 100,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I think you'd be surprised at the percentage of people who would disagree with that statement.
Oh, I absolutely agree with that fact. It amazes me that people will sacrifice time, family, health and well being for the almighty coin. And for what? It's no wonder everyone seems so miserable all the time.

The Applebee's statement was an unfair dig, my apologies. There are some good places in Ballantyne (which is inside Charlotte and Mecklenburg I might add). But I get just as tired of people telling me how crime ridden and "Detroit-like" Charlotte is. I've been in the city for 4 years and never had a crime committed against me. And I'm out, a lot, and late. The only time I ever had my car broken into was when I lived in a town home in HARRISBURG, haha.

It just amazes me that these are the same people that live next to the city and leech off it's amenities (I'm not saying it's all of you, but you get my point). Yet constantly tell me how stupid I am for actually supporting the city with my tax dollars and being excited about it's future. Sitting stagnant is what Detroit and Cleveland did, which is why they are dead. Not plan for the future by developing sensible infrastructure, attracting diverse businesses and increasing inner city density.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Ahh, yess. We are incessant whiners and crybabies because we aren't happy with the tax rate. Makes perfect sense to me. I guess all those people who now agree that the revaluation was flawed and are addressing it at the state level are enablers? God forbid those who got hit the hardest not complain about the taxes. But we just aren't progressive enough. Is that how this works? We are supposed to be okay with the idea that the county raised property taxes for thousands of homeowners and now the city wants to do it, knowing it will likely result in the same monumental cluster-f?

I guess I better pack my bags and get out of the way of you so-called progressives so Charlotte can bloom into a modern day utopia. I'd hate for a couple of us unhappy folk to **** on your little parade.

And, might I ask where you are from? Any chance you'd like to see Charlotte turn into where you lived prior to relocating? Nah. Couldn't be possible.
I went to Northwest Cabarrus High School in Kannapolis, then Appalachian State, in Boone, NC. I've lived in Charlotte ever since, minus a short stint in Harrisburg. The revaluation is an absolutely different conversation, I have no problem with people questioning how much they are paying for taxes if they were incorrectly managed and appraised. Does that answer your questions?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
That somewhat answers my question, but the idea still remains. There are too many people here who share the attitude but are not from the area. They want NY/LA/Houston amenities and give zero consideration to who pays for them. When you see a city and county go from doing things fine to having totally misplaced priorities you are foolish to NOT question your taxes and where they go. This stuff all costs a lot of money and many of us are sick and tired of getting our pockets picked to pay for it. We aren't moochers or sucking on the system. We see projects proposed that benefit few other than a politician trying to enhance their resume or legacy. They want to put their mark on Charlotte rather than do the right thing. Anyone care to offer an update on the sidewalks on West Tyvola? But we've got money for this, that, and the other thing.

Many people are tired of it and might trade a portion of their life to ensure their kids are better educated. Many others would rather give their money to Exxon than to Mecklenburg County.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Hey, I'm with you. Being progressive doesn't have to mean being stupid. I question the city's motives on stuff like the Eastland Mall purchase (which I didn't like), refurbishing Bojangles (they should sell it) and selling the Carolina Theatre for a buck (instead of $500,000 to the ARK group). I'd much rather see a greater investment in things like sidewalks and schools. But all things considered, Charlotte and Mecklenburg county are doing pretty well. It's not all doom and gloom like many on here and at the CO love to predict.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
In choosing UC over Charlotte, our reasons have been:

#1 - schools
#2 - crime rate & safety
#3 - family oriented neighborhood where kids can play safe around the house
#4 - contemporary house on large lot & backyard privacy
#5 - facilities: wooded walking trails, pool, tennis courts, etc
#6 - proximity to a large airport and large city facilities
#7 - less pollution (including air, noise) so we can enjoy a clear sky at night

Somewhere way down the list it is taxes, but nowhere near the top as many make it believe.
From talking with friends and neighbors, many who chose UC share similar priorities.
The funny thing about your list is that almost all of those would be in more urban areas if it wasn't for people who insisted they get it in the suburbs.

I think it boils down to one thing nowadays... Large. And all that goes with that mindset. I'm not casting judgement here, hell I'm tempted myself. But for my situation a more urban lifestyle is the most suitable solution (for now).

Suburban America's level of environmental concern is alarming to me though. I'd like to see them pitch in more for sustainable transit.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM

602 posts, read 574,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The funny thing about your list is that almost all of those would be in more urban areas if it wasn't for people who insisted they get it in the suburbs.

I think it boils down to one thing nowadays... Large. And all that goes with that mindset. I'm not casting judgement here, hell I'm tempted myself. But for my situation a more urban lifestyle is the most suitable solution (for now).

Suburban America's level of environmental concern is alarming to me though. I'd like to see them pitch in more for sustainable transit.

I went with urban as well (30yrs old, single) but still have the "suburban" commute. Basically live on Queens right near Presby (Queens/3rd/Amherst) but drive to Denver everyday for work.

Reasoning was I love the location, at my age/point in life I couldn't see moving to Denver, NC, right beside the hopsitals (should be easy to rent out eventually), condo fees aren't as bad as living inside 277, but still only 1-1.5 miles from most of uptown.

Also the commute isn't that bad other than gas, when I'm leaving in the mornings all the traffic is lined up to get INTO uptown. When I am coming home most of it is lined up trying to get OUT of uptown.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Oh the cow pastures of UC and its 1 Applebee's... lol - If I read the OP right this isn't Union vs. Meck, it's all surrounding counties. You want the sticks, traffic, and chains try southern Iredell - they have all in heaps.

I don't know anybody who chose a surrounding county, bought a house, and suddenly was slapped with a revelation that the suburbs don't have urban amenities. 28173 did a great job of highlighting a list of items to consider when moving out to a surrounding county... and if you're smart you do it with eyes wide open. You know what you're getting into. It's amazing that it can be shocking to some people that many with young families prefer the feel of a bedroom community with excellent public schools over the city itself. This is not a new concept invented by the Charlotte metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte