Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Maybe my math is off but it sure seems like moving into a home twice the size, furnishing it, heating and cooling it... AND driving longer distances for work would eat up any savings you would get from taxes.

I think 28173's list is spot on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Maybe my math is off but it sure seems like moving into a home twice the size, furnishing it, heating and cooling it... AND driving longer distances for work would eat up any savings you would get from taxes.

I think 28173's list is spot on...
X2

I use to commute 45m-1h each way from Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail to south end Charlotte for work (near uptown).

Moved to Berewick (SW Charlotte 9 miles from work) and it's just as quiet at night as Brandon Oaks with the same if not better amenities. I commute 15-20 minutes each way and come home for lunch since my wife stays home with the kids.

That is what you can't put a price tag on, and that is why I do not mind paying high tax. Heck I am getting 8-10 hours a week on my life back! lol

Old 05-03-2013, 05:01 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Maybe my math is off but it sure seems like moving into a home twice the size, furnishing it, heating and cooling it... AND driving longer distances for work would eat up any savings you would get from taxes.....
What if you move to a house that is the same size and work on the county line? Or have a job where you telecommute. The vast majority of jobs in Mecklenburg are not in downtown.

The savings can be quite significant. It's why Ballentyne is looking to break away from CLT. It's why the 6 towns in Mecklenburg will never consolidate governments with CLT.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
almost every day we see our local government cronies arguing about where they will give OUR tax dollars away and never hear them talking about things they can do to lower taxes. The tax re-evaluation proves they want to milk the tax payers and folks are tired of it. Talk about becoming more and more like the wastelands found up north like detroit may become real. There you can buy a nice home for 30k but the taxes each year on it will 20k.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I predict we will continue to see more of this if the Charlotte/Mecklenburg government continues with taxation policies that serve to drive the middle class out of the city.

9 Investigates: Mecklenburg losing residents to neighboring... | www.wsoctv.com
This happens... To pretty much most major cities in the U.S. City proper is usually going to have higher taxes because of more advance infrastructure and higher demand of local amenities. People who want to avoid such taxes live in the outlaying counties, and commute to the city to work/shop. This is nothing new, and as someone else said in this topic, "you get what you pay for".

Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What if you move to a house that is the same size and work on the county line? Or have a job where you telecommute. The vast majority of jobs in Mecklenburg are not in downtown.

The savings can be quite significant. It's why Ballentyne is looking to break away from CLT. It's why the 6 towns in Mecklenburg will never consolidate governments with CLT.
I have never believed the argument that folks buy in neighboring counties only because of lower taxes. And, looking at the math, there is proof. Using economics as a guide, the highest home prices per foot can be found in the first ring of Charlotte neighborhoods. Using economic theory, these are the most desirable homes in the area, much higher than Union/Cabarrus,York etc..... So, if people are willing to pay more for a house in Charlotte that is smaller, then saying that high taxes are driving people to the surrounding counties is in no way correct. Folks buy in neighboring counties because of larger homes, larger lots and perceived better schools. Taxes may be a variable but, the title of this thread is not close to being accurate. Sure, it is a favorite phrase of WBT and the neo cons but, completely false.

A very small number of people in Ballantyne want to break out for many reasons, racial included. There is not a majority in Ballantyne who want out of Charlotte and those who do are foolish if they think that services can be provided cheaper than they are currently paying. Interesting that people say government should be run like business when this runs counter to what business is doing. Creating a new town with services and assuming debt from Charlotte related to roads/schools/fire/police in this area is not an easy way to have lower taxes, most businesses consolidate to lower costs. Besides, the more rational politicians in this area that I talk to agree that it is 1, a small number of people crying for this and 2. unlikely to happen.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
almost every day we see our local government cronies arguing about where they will give OUR tax dollars away and never hear them talking about things they can do to lower taxes. The tax re-evaluation proves they want to milk the tax payers and folks are tired of it. Talk about becoming more and more like the wastelands found up north like detroit may become real. There you can buy a nice home for 30k but the taxes each year on it will 20k.
The comparisons of Charlotte and Detroit are laughable. If you want a serious discussion on why people buy houses, talk about it. But, comparing Charlotte and Detroit proves that the thesis of this thread can't be supported with logic.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I have never believed .....
Since you directed this towards me then thank you for letting me know your beliefs. If you choose not to believe that taxes do not play a part in where people choose to buy a home I don't have an issue with this. I don't have an argument with what you believe, but it doesn't have much to do with the quote of mine that you responded to.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The comparisons of Charlotte and Detroit are laughable. If you want a serious discussion on why people buy houses, talk about it. But, comparing Charlotte and Detroit proves that the thesis of this thread can't be supported with logic.
A serious discussion doesn't start with sarcastic laughter at what the other party has to say. For the first 1/2 of the 20th century, Detroit became the 4th largest city in the USA with a local economy to match. I am sure that in 1959, if you had told someone there that by the end of the 20th the century that Detroit would be come the ruins that it is today, you would have gotten the same sort of laughter. But it did happen none the less.

The comparison is valid. It's illogical to automatically dismiss the mistakes made in Detroit because of the assumptions those mistakes can't happen here.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
So it's stupid for someone who works in Ballantyne to but a house in Lancaster County when they are like 3 or 4 miles from work? Or Cabarrus county when they work in University City? No....Everyone does not work downtown people.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte