U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,866,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just wondering how you handle the non-refundable pet deposit for renewals? My current tenants are at the end of a 2 year lease, and was thinking of adding back another pet deposit on the renewal.
Out of curiosity, why charge another fee? Are you planning on replacing anything in your rental? (I will soon have a rental and avidly reading all about leases etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM

11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Is it really that important to buy after 6 months? Just seems like the OP is making it more difficult than in needs to be. If the 6 months is in stone (not sure why it would be) I would look to see if someone was subleasing.

If you do a year though, it would make it much easier for everyone involved and even if you left with 3 months on the lease you would probably break even since most short term rentals are 15 to 20% higher.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,198,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Out of curiosity, why charge another fee? Are you planning on replacing anything in your rental? (I will soon have a rental and avidly reading all about leases etc)
They still have the dog and it could still do damage. If he/she would rent to another person he/she would get another deposit.

We are landlords (only one more year left) and I think I would through that in. If the tenants don't clean up after the dog it can reak havoc on your lawn. For the reason alone I would do it.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM

136 posts, read 300,202 times
Nothing is set in stone for us right now -- I was just feeling out whether short term leases are a possibility. The 6 month number was kind of just an arbitrary figure. We may in fact decide that we want to rent for a year, but I was curious as to what our options would be. I of course realize that it will cost more for a short-term lease and a dog, but that was never my original question anyway! I do think that it is possible that we would be able to figure out what neighborhood we want to settle in and find a home in 6 months. The most important thing for us is that we buy in 2014 before interest rates (potentially) rise. We don't have a move date set yet (waiting on my boyfriend's job to transfer). We haven't rented in years and hate throwing money away every month, so we want to buy as soon as possible.

The whole dog issue is a moot point for us ... we have a dog who will absolutely be coming with us and we wouldn't even consider apartments that do not allow pets. I appreciate that some landlords don't allow pets for a variety of reasons, but those properties aren't even considerations for us. If it costs more, it costs more. We knew that was a possibility when we got our pup.

Again, thanks for all your advice - I will check out some of the links you all have posted!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Well that is a catch 22. If they let the rates rise, then housing prices collapse. IMO, don't make plans on what interest rates might do because they are no longer following long established rules for setting them.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Quote:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just wondering how you handle the non-refundable pet deposit for renewals? My current tenants are at the end of a 2 year lease, and was thinking of adding back another pet deposit on the renewal.
Well, I havn't had that problem yet. But, it's simple. If the renter had been with you for two years (with the same dog) and has not been a problem...renew without additional fees. However if she switched from toy poodle to doberman......let's think on that one. lol

Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM

642 posts, read 986,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
Nothing is set in stone for us right now -- I was just feeling out whether short term leases are a possibility. The 6 month number was kind of just an arbitrary figure. We may in fact decide that we want to rent for a year, but I was curious as to what our options would be. I of course realize that it will cost more for a short-term lease and a dog, but that was never my original question anyway! I do think that it is possible that we would be able to figure out what neighborhood we want to settle in and find a home in 6 months. The most important thing for us is that we buy in 2014 before interest rates (potentially) rise. We don't have a move date set yet (waiting on my boyfriend's job to transfer). We haven't rented in years and hate throwing money away every month, so we want to buy as soon as possible.

The whole dog issue is a moot point for us ... we have a dog who will absolutely be coming with us and we wouldn't even consider apartments that do not allow pets. I appreciate that some landlords don't allow pets for a variety of reasons, but those properties aren't even considerations for us. If it costs more, it costs more. We knew that was a possibility when we got our pup.

Again, thanks for all your advice - I will check out some of the links you all have posted!
Any number you quote when renting and then buying will be arbitary. Why? How can you know the eaxact date when you will complete the deal on you new house? It would be nice, very nice, if the house sale completed two days before the end of your rental lease.

Unless you really can find a month to month rental, you are going to be either breaking a lease within its term or pleading your case for "just another two months" at the end of the lease.

I am not being negative here but I feel that this is something you need to plan for in almost any event you can think of.

Lastly, you DO have jobs sorted out in Charlotte don't you? This is really important. DO NOT come here without a job. Seriously.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM

136 posts, read 300,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Lastly, you DO have jobs sorted out in Charlotte don't you? This is really important. DO NOT come here without a job. Seriously.
Someone already asked me this and yes, we do have jobs. I work remotely and will be keeping my job. My boyfriend will be transferring to his company's Charlotte office. I don't get why people keep assuming we would relocate without jobs! LOL

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
..... I don't get why people keep assuming we would relocate without jobs! LOL
Because a lot of people come to this forum to ask about moving to CLT to look for work.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,567,537 times
Quote:
You can try to say that policy has changed and the pet deposit is now non-returnable (due to extra maintenance required, loss of potential allergic renters, etc.

Only problem I see with the pet non-returnable fee is that some might interpret it as "let the dog do whatever" since will be paid by already...
I'd rather increase the monthly fee for everybody and offer a discount for non pet owners, instead of non-returnable pet fee and get same amount anyway. As mentioned earlier there are valuable reasons why pet owners should pay extra: possible noise, lawn marks, loss of tenants (allergy, fear), hair, smell, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or