U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM

136 posts, read 299,958 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to relocate to Charlotte in the next 6 months and would like to rent for a few months before buying. Ideally, we hope to rent for no more than 6 months before finding a neighborhood and a house we want to buy.

Is it difficult/impossible to find month to month or 6 month (or less) leases for apartments in Charlotte. We are not picky and do not need anything fancy, but we would definitely like to be someplace safe while renting. My boyfriend's job will be in the University Area so if we could stay nearby, that would be ideal.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times
Call around d. And call some more. With the rental market turning back in favor of landlords, short term leases are harder to find. And do expect to pay a higher amount per month since the unit will have to be turned in such a short amount t of time. Its considered a loss for a landlord versus a long term tenant who may stay one year or possibly multiple years.

What is your budget? That can help us poi t you in one direction or another. There are some properties who will do short term but without a budget in mind we may not be helping you.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Boyfriend is sleeping, but I'm assuming we'd like to be under $850 (this may change in the morning when I actually talk to him). Obviously the more under the better. One BR is fine and we have a small dog who is of course part of the family

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM

$850 is doable but be prepared to pay a pet deposit/fee. You my be good to call smaller companies or keep an eye out on Craig's List or some other websites. Obviously read up on and learn about common scams, especially those requiring a deposit to be sent out of country. Also be prepared for the possibility of a higher security deposit. NC law allows for 2x rent as a security deposit if I recall correctly. Many ow ERS do not like short term leases. I know I said this in the first response but I say it again so you don't get any false hopes. I would highly recommend a weekend trip to town so you can drive around and get a feel for whatever area you do decide on.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 AM

642 posts, read 986,570 times
You will probably need to find a private landlord to deal with if you want a short term lease. My agent takes the first month rent for themselves whenever the tenant changes. This fee is to cover advertising, contract negociation, preparation and other work they need to do at tenant changeover. Most rental agencies do the same or similar.

Do I therefore like short term tenants? No, I do not.

I also do not allow pets in my properties because they always cause some sort of damage.

You should be able to find what you want but, you willl need to be a bit creative in your searching. Have a look at some of these links. Maybe they'll help. Hope so.
https://www.airbnb.com
http://charlotte.corporatehousing.co...Hill&x=81&y=31
http://www.mynewplace.com/apartments...zip=28273&back=
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/sub/
http://www.move.com/apartmentsforren...h/charlotte_nc

Last edited by krokus; 05-04-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 AM

28,390 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
would like to rent for a few months before buying.
...no more than 6 months

Is it difficult/impossible to find month to month or 6 month (or less) leases...
No doubt.
Why would a landlord want to even start with anyone they know won't be around?

Quote:
Any suggestions?
You need an extended stay motel situation and a briefer "transition" period.
Look to make your buy decision quicker; even better make it BEFORE moving.

You would also be well advised to rent for the first year (or two).
Find something with a really convenient commute to your new job(s).
You *do* have jobs lined up... right?

Last edited by MrRational; 05-04-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No doubt.

You *do* have jobs lined up... right?
Not that this is even the point of this thread, but of course, yes we would never move without jobs. We are both staying in our current positions (I work remotely and my boyfriend will transfer to his company's Charlotte office).

I do appreciate that *most* landlords are not keen on month to month or short-term leases, but I was curious if there were ANY that were okay with it. We are also aware that there will be a pet deposit. I disagree that all pets cause damage to a house/apartment though -- we have had our dog for a while and the only damage he's done is to my shoes.

We would obviously like our transition to be as short as possible, but do not feel comfortable choosing a neighborhood and long-term home during a long-weekend trip from NY to Charlotte. So many people have suggested renting first and here is someone saying the exact opposite...it's all very confusing! I would rather sign a year lease, leave early and eat the security deposit than purchase a house in a neighborhood that we end up not liking and be stuck. We definitely want to purchase before interest rates go up again but want to be comfortable with our decision.

Thanks for the links and advice, everyone!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM

3,410 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Quote:
Not that this is even the point of this thread, but of course, yes we would never move without jobs. We are both staying in our current positions (I work remotely and my boyfriend will transfer to his company's Charlotte office).

I do appreciate that *most* landlords are not keen on month to month or short-term leases, but I was curious if there were ANY that were okay with it. We are also aware that there will be a pet deposit. I disagree that all pets cause damage to a house/apartment though -- we have had our dog for a while and the only damage he's done is to my shoes.

We would obviously like our transition to be as short as possible, but do not feel comfortable choosing a neighborhood and long-term home during a long-weekend trip from NY to Charlotte. So many people have suggested renting first and here is someone saying the exact opposite...it's all very confusing! I would rather sign a year lease, leave early and eat the security deposit than purchase a house in a neighborhood that we end up not liking and be stuck. We definitely want to purchase before interest rates go up again but want to be comfortable with our decision.

You would eat more than the security deposit depending on how soon you left. I would definitely rent before buying but I would give it more than 6 months. I would give it a year.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 AM

642 posts, read 986,570 times
Quote:

The most important thing to understand with a say, one year, lease is that you can break it. Yes, you can. Here's how. You sign the lease for the full term and you are now responsible for paying rent for the next 12 months + you have to pay a 1 or 2 month returnable deposit. You pay for a number of months and then decide to buy and move out. You MUST find someone else (or have the renal agent find someone) to take over the lease. Most likely the agent will insiste that the new person signs a new lease for an agreed term. This cancels your lease and releaes you from any further obligations once you have ageeed any damage done, etc. Your deposit will now be returned and you are free to go.

You will have to pay the one month agents new tenant fee that I wrote about earlier even if you find the new tenant. This is because the agent will want their one month "new tenat" fee. Can't blame them really. .

You must clarify this point (read the lease fully) before you sign. Most Charlotte leases will be more or less the same. It would be perhaps wise not to discuss this with the agent who is renting you the new/temprary home. However, there are plenty of agents...

I have had this happen with one of my properties and it went very smoothly. Of coure the exixting tenant is liable to pay the rent until the new tenant has signed and will take over the rent so you need to find someone who will move in and pay the rent as quickly as possible.

If this is not clear, please say so and I'll try to clarify further.

On the dog front, it is hard for me as a landlord to quantify which dogs will do damage and which one won't. I have this argument regularly with my agent since she has two dogs and always argues in favor of doggy tenants. I disagree and stick to my policy. Others may differ.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Then there are the landlords who will hold you accountable for the remainder of the lease term provided they make a good faith effort to rerent the property. Sometimes it is immediate. Others it can take a few months to find a suitable and qualified tenant. In this case you are responsible for the rent even though you aren't there. Do not bail on a lease. A landlord can file a Complaint for Money Owed and slam the brakes on your new home purchase. No lender is going to write a loan if you're being sued. You are possibly going to have to increase your budget in order to find a good property with a short term lease.

As far as dogs...well, "my" dog never tears anything up/pees on the floor etc. We hear this All the time when dealing with applicants. Your dog may be the best dog ever but don't plan on a LL taking your word for it. But there will be damage of some sort caused by the dog. If not damage proper, there will most likely be the additional cost in removing hair or odors. And you my not notice the odor but it could very well be there. You never know if the next tenant has a pet allergy so we have to be more careful about cleaning up after tenants with pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or