Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

355 posts, read 992,853 times

Advertisements

there a home that i want to buy in huntersville but there one problem the high school is hopewell. i do not know much about the school but i am sure someone got the skinny.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
there a home that i want to buy in huntersville but there one problem the high school is hopewell. i do not know much about the school but i am sure someone got the skinny.
Hopewell NC report card
High Student Performance - School Level

Ranks 335 out of the top 1300 high schools in the USA
America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com&

Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
Eee.. Hopewell eh? Well, not the worst HS in CMS, but far, far from even mediocre. Basically like North Meck HS but just 700 less. Crime, gangs, drugs, The CMS standard. (Actually some people I know who went there say Hopewell is worse in certain aspects than North Meck is…) Of course what you put into it is what you get, but there are certain things outside of your control though that could possibly affect what you get. The school's nickname is Hopeless too.

p.s. North Meck grad C/O '04

Hopewell High School - Huntersville, North Carolina - NC - school overview

[mini rant] Have no clue in the freaking world how these CMS HS's are making that Newsweek top 1000 something list. They obviously do not include school atmosphere in their "rankings" which is by far more important than how many IB/AP tests they administer. imo.[/mini rant]

Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 AM

674 posts, read 804,631 times
I'd like to point out that based on a recent article citing the stats on that school that only ONE-- yes ONE student of the dozens who have been in trouble at Hopewell was actually a LOCAL student. ALL the others were the troubled kids they bus from the slums.

EVERY school has problem kids but the HPD, Char-Meck Police resource officers and CMPD are all working together to combat problem kids at that school. Believe me, I have lived smack next door to both Providence HS and South Meck HS and all schools have problem kids. Steer your kids in the areas of AP classes, good clubs and sports, and stay involved and the result will be your kids will be largely unaffected by the trash they bus in.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Here another excellent website
SchoolDataDirect - Hopewell High, North Carolina Public School - Overview (http://www.schoolmatters.com/app/location/q/stid=34/llid=118/stllid=170/locid=960364/stype=/catid=-1/secid=-1/compid=-1/site=pes - broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM

23 posts, read 56,842 times
Default Harsh words for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I'd like to point out that based on a recent article citing the stats on that school that only ONE-- yes ONE student of the dozens who have been in trouble at Hopewell was actually a LOCAL student. ALL the others were the troubled kids they bus from the slums.

EVERY school has problem kids but the HPD, Char-Meck Police resource officers and CMPD are all working together to combat problem kids at that school. Believe me, I have lived smack next door to both Providence HS and South Meck HS and all schools have problem kids. Steer your kids in the areas of AP classes, good clubs and sports, and stay involved and the result will be your kids will be largely unaffected by the trash they bus in.
WOW! Those are some harsh and hateful words for those kids that, due to no choice on their part, have to be bused into those schools. I haven't heard the word "slums" in years....from back in the day when schools were still segregated.
I used to work in CMS schools (for 14 years)...some in the higher end and lower end economically and believe me, I saw plenty of kids who LIVED in those neighborhoods (not bused in) who were causing their share of trouble as well. Not to minimize the trouble that the "trash" kids were causing.
I think we need to be more careful about how we are labeling people....not all of your labels are deserved.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM

Hey babe, you need to put a band-aid on your bleeding heart and look at the facts:

- The assistant principal and several teachers have been physically assaulted this year by kids bussed in from other areas who were previously deemed trouble makers and thrown out of school. They were bussed to Hopewell for a second chance. You can see how they are using that second chance.
- Kids are using the woods by the school for drugs and even prostitution-- and guess what? ALL the kids busted for this are from the rough, crime-ridden areas OUTSIDE Huntersville, i.e. SLUMMY areas.

I can't believe you had the nerve to write this:
Quote:
I used to work in CMS schools (for 14 years)...some in the higher end and lower end economically and believe me, I saw plenty of kids who LIVED in those neighborhoods (not bused in) who were causing their share of trouble as well.
When I already posted that the POLICE SAID that only ONE of the kids causing the trouble actually lived in Huntersville!

Hell no I am not going to "be careful labeling" people....kids participating in beating the hell out of the administration and doing drugs on campus ARE trash. Trash that needs help.

So maybe we could start another thread on how to help these poor little guys and gals. We can be constructive instead of worrying about my use of the word "slum."

Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM

23 posts, read 56,842 times
Default Good Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Hey babe, you need to put a band-aid on your bleeding heart and look at the facts:

- The assistant principal and several teachers have been physically assaulted this year by kids bussed in from other areas who were previously deemed trouble makers and thrown out of school. They were bussed to Hopewell for a second chance. You can see how they are using that second chance.
- Kids are using the woods by the school for drugs and even prostitution-- and guess what? ALL the kids busted for this are from the rough, crime-ridden areas OUTSIDE Huntersville, i.e. SLUMMY areas.

I can't believe you had the nerve to write this:

When I already posted that the POLICE SAID that only ONE of the kids causing the trouble actually lived in Huntersville!

Hell no I am not going to "be careful labeling" people....kids participating in beating the hell out of the administration and doing drugs on campus ARE trash. Trash that needs help.

So maybe we could start another thread on how to help these poor little guys and gals. We can be constructive instead of worrying about my use of the word "slum."

Well, well, well.....it seems you answered my point exactly. Let's be constructive instead of labeling people which does NO GOOD! And, just because the police report something it doesn't mean that it is true (as we all know the police don't have a history of being truthful in ALL CASES). My point is, that it is not only the kids being bussed in from other areas that are causing all of the problems. My original point - and maybe I did not clarify well enough - is that labeling people serves no purpose and may be a mistake. Let's see how you can be constructive and take your own advice. And, just so you know, I was a therapist in the schools for 14 years and I still contribute my services (pro bono) to help these "poor little guys and gals" and their families. Moderator cut: flaming

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-01-2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 02:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteHostess View Post
Well, well, well.....it seems you answered my point exactly. Let's be constructive instead of labeling people which does NO GOOD! And, just because the police report something it doesn't mean that it is true (as we all know the police don't have a history of being truthful in ALL CASES). My point is, that it is not only the kids being bussed in from other areas that are causing all of the problems. My original point - and maybe I did not clarify well enough - is that labeling people serves no purpose and may be a mistake. Let's see how you can be constructive and take your own advice. And, just so you know, I was a therapist in the schools for 14 years and I still contribute my services (pro bono) to help these "poor little guys and gals" and their families. What are YOU doing besides complaining?
There ARE problems at Hopewell High School, though I am not as up on the particular reasons for them. I think this at least answers our op's question - no need to go off on tangents about what we all are, or are not, doing to solve said problems

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-01-2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: referring quote has been deleted.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM

I agree. Hopewell is a fine school, and as in MOST schools there are trouble makers. As I said before, if you are involved, and your kids are in the AP classes they will be largely unaffected by any trouble.

My co-worker has a daughter there and while we were talking about the recent article in the paper about Hopewell, her daughter knew NOTHING of the problems because (a) she is in higher achieving classes and is not around these troublemakers and (b) the HPD and school resource officers have been working together to stop problems quickly before things get out of control.

BTW this
Quote:
And, just because the police report something it doesn't mean that it is true (as we all know the police don't have a history of being truthful in ALL CASES).
is pretty hilarious. You are right, the police are lying. They lie when they say all but one of the kids who beat the crap out of several administrators and committed other offenses this year were from troubled areas of town....ok!
I think we see the underlying insinuation here, and I'll let that assertion along with the rest of this poster's previous posts in other threads, speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte