U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,852,337 times

Advertisements

I would be in support of a toll road if it actually got the Independence Freeway to 485 done before 2030 which is how long it looks to take at the current rate. It's a shame that a city the size of Charlotte still does not have an east-west freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 PM

128 posts, read 186,962 times
Hi,
As long as I've lived here (more than 20 years) people in Charlotte have been complaining about not getting sufficient highway funds. I've been among them - who remembers the many, many years of "no lights" on I-277 near Independence. Plus, there's is the inevitable question about why Fayetteville's loop interstate was done many years (a decade?) before our I-485.

I think the OP made a valid point that many long time folks would agree with. There is a divide between Charlotte (or as I've heard it called "The Great State of Mecklenburg") and others in the rest of the state. When you're a small, struggling rural county in eastern NC it's hard to feel like Charlotte is not getting it's fair share with all the growth and prosperity here and that help should be coming your way. But, if you're from Charlotte it's hard to wonder why you can't get the X&%$ road built or lights fixed when Charlotte is such an economic generator for the state. This is one of the reasons, I think, that so many moderates in Charlotte voted for McCrorey - thinking that finally we would have an advocate in Raleigh. Not sure it's turned out that way.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
Hi,
As long as I've lived here (more than 20 years) people in Charlotte have been complaining about not getting sufficient highway funds. I've been among them - who remembers the many, many years of "no lights" on I-277 near Independence. Plus, there's is the inevitable question about why Fayetteville's loop interstate was done many years (a decade?) before our I-485.

I think the OP made a valid point that many long time folks would agree with. There is a divide between Charlotte (or as I've heard it called "The Great State of Mecklenburg") and others in the rest of the state. When you're a small, struggling rural county in eastern NC it's hard to feel like Charlotte is not getting it's fair share with all the growth and prosperity here and that help should be coming your way. But, if you're from Charlotte it's hard to wonder why you can't get the X&%$ road built or lights fixed when Charlotte is such an economic generator for the state. This is one of the reasons, I think, that so many moderates in Charlotte voted for McCrorey - thinking that finally we would have an advocate in Raleigh. Not sure it's turned out that way.
Not only Charlotte. The primary culprit is an antiquated highway funding equity formula that neglects high growth urban areas of the state. Or basically, didn't anticipate the exponential growth in RDU or Charlotte. It's perplexing since the Triad area has better highway infrastructure than RDU. RDU isn't a beaming example of great freeways and/or street lighting.

At least McCrory is continuing what Perdue started, the revision of the equity formula to direct more funding to the urban centers.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,753,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Trust me I lived here since last September so its long enough. I didn't come here to bash on any city. obviously the area is doing very well to attract me all the way from Los Angles. Who said I made a clam. I only asked why did a small city like Raleigh get a toll b4 Charlotte. I can also assure you that a majority of Charlottes roads are not better but on par to what ive seen in Cali. Charlotte is actually very similar to the Los Angles metro. (One of my reasons for moving here)
Dude (excuse my Californese), ease up. Just because people in LA (and San Diego) put up with that toll road crap doesn't mean everyone should. People already pay taxes and it should be used to improve infrastructure, not everyone's pet project. Don't be the ugly transplant that starts criticizing everything when they get there and think they're an expert after eight months. You'll give a bad name to the rest.

I've lived in Cali (FYI to everyone, people here HATE the term "Cali" for the most part) most of my life and the thing that attracts me to Charlotte is just how different it is from LA.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Dude (excuse my Californese), ease up. Just because people in LA (and San Diego) put up with that toll road crap doesn't mean everyone should. People already pay taxes and it should be used to improve infrastructure, not everyone's pet project. Don't be the ugly transplant that starts criticizing everything when they get there and think they're an expert after eight months. You'll give a bad name to the rest.

I've lived in Cali (FYI to everyone, people here HATE the term "Cali" for the most part) most of my life and the thing that attracts me to Charlotte is just how different it is from LA.
Oh i didn't kno I had to live here a certain amount of time to make a observation. Like I keep saying it was something I saw and was only asking a question. Second note im originally from nc. Been here for 15 years. Just went to the military for 4 years in California and loved it. I only asked about tolls bc it beats sitting in Traffic. I also asked only as a question was why did Raleigh get a toll first. Just thought Charlotte would benefit more by having one depending on were it was. Like I keep sayin I was only asking the people up here what they knew. So if I offended anyone by asking questions im sorry.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Oh i didn't kno I had to live here a certain amount of time to make a observation. Like I keep saying it was something I saw and was only asking a question. Second note im originally from nc. Been here for 15 years. Just went to the military for 4 years in California and loved it. I only asked about tolls bc it beats sitting in Traffic. I also asked only as a question was why did Raleigh get a toll first. Just thought Charlotte would benefit more by having one depending on were it was. Like I keep sayin I was only asking the people up here what they knew. So if I offended anyone by asking questions im sorry.
You downgrading Raleigh because it's the second largest metro in the state with the first and only toll road in NC is why you offended some.

Not everyone wants toll roads. They're annoying and irrelevant. You've lived in California, if you're looking for traffic to rival there, try Atlanta. Toll roads in Raleigh haven't been very beneficial anyhow.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not only Charlotte. The primary culprit is an antiquated highway funding equity formula that neglects high growth urban areas of the state.
It's those damn hybrids.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 AM

106 posts, read 152,089 times
Charlotte doesn't like the current road funding formula. But it makes the same argument for building the streetcar:

"We must build transit infrastructure in poor areas to stimulate economic development."

Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 AM

11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
Charlotte doesn't like the current road funding formula. But it makes the same argument for building the streetcar:

"We must build transit infrastructure in poor areas to stimulate economic development."
How is that the same argument? Nice try...

Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM

239 posts, read 310,376 times
Being from Houston, I have seen the PLUS side of Toll-Roads. They add great revenue to the city, and does NOT hold traffic up, if they are built with enough lanes.
But the only thing Houston has to work in its advantage that Charlotte doesnt, is that Houston has 5 other freeways that do not have Tolls on them.
And by Charlotte turning an ALREADY BUSY freeway into a Toll-road, then it wouldnt improve traffic much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or