U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,136,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Being from Houston, I have seen the PLUS side of Toll-Roads. They add great revenue to the city, and does NOT hold traffic up, if they are built with enough lanes.
But the only thing Houston has to work in its advantage that Charlotte doesnt, is that Houston has 5 other freeways that do not have Tolls on them.
And by Charlotte turning an ALREADY BUSY freeway into a Toll-road, then it wouldnt improve traffic much.
I have to agree, it's a bad idea (toll road) and only being put forth to expedite expansion. It's seriously time for DOT and other state leaders to have a major paradigm shift meaning to fix I-77 using other funding mechanisms. It has to be widen 4-5 lanes each side in continuity from Statesville to I-85. It should be the most prominent and important highway infrastructure improvement project in NC the next 10-15 years.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-29-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I have to agree, it's a bad idea (toll road) and only being put forth to expedite expansion. It's seriously time for DOT and other state leaders to have a major paradigm shift meaning to fix I-77 using other funding mechanisms. It has to be widen 4-5 lanes each side in continuity from Statesville to I-85. It should be the most prominent and important highway infrastructure improvement project in NC the next 10-15 years.
I don't think NCDOT can think outside the box, they still have the horse and buggy mentality! I do know that something needs to be done to fix I77 though!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,710,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Statesville? Those are some lofty goals. I think many would be happy with just widening it to Cornelius and many more would be happy with widening it to Mooresville.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 AM

239 posts, read 310,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Statesville? Those are some lofty goals. I think many would be happy with just widening it to Cornelius and many more would be happy with widening it to Mooresville.

I would be happy with them just widening it from Downtown throughout South Charlotte. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,290,396 times
Something needs to be done to 85 into Concord. Widening isn't helping much.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Something needs to be done to 85 into Concord. Widening isn't helping much.
They haven't finished widening I-85 from exit 49 (Concord Mills) to exit 56, plus DOT is building the turbo interchange at I-485/85 so it currently seems a mess. When both the widening and interchange are completedd next year it will help that stretch of interstate tremendously. This fall, DOT will start widening I-85 from exit 56 to exit 63 so I-85 north of Charlotte is being upgraded. Although this should've been done 20 years ago. Bev Perdue had issues but seem to be the first NC governor in a while to focus on urban center traffic woes and rapid growth. Those innovative ideas expedited the expansion of I-85 across the Yadkin River area so it can be done.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Absolutely, the project should be a piecemeal approach with phase I through Mooresville (next 10 years) and Phase II through Statesville (5 years after completion of Phase I). This should be priorty #1 for DOT and not sure why it doesn't warrant more attention given it's a major artery through the states largest urban area.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
I would be happy with them just widening it from Downtown throughout South Charlotte. Thanks!
OMFG. First, the I-85/I-77 interchange needs a complete overhaul with a fly over ramp. It's the only interchange I'm aware of in an urban center with a tilt-over sign for trucks when exiting I-85 to I-77 towards downtown (if nothing screams Mayberry, that sign does).

As for I-77 from downtown to SC, this will require a major effort on the level of the big dig in Boston. I complain about I-77 all the time and it's poor design. It's mindboggling that planners were so shortsighted 30-40 years ago.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,853,602 times
Yeah I-77 from Uptown to the South Carolina border will likely be the last of any of these areas to be upgraded. It's an extremely costly and daunting engineering tasks that NCDOT prefers to not even think about for now. I've seem some estimates of $1-1.5 Billion to fix it because of the way it was designed.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,441,237 times
It could be that Raleigh sees infrastructure improvements before Charlotte because its the state's capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or